Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping late model cars to NZ

Shipping late model cars to NZ

Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping late model cars to NZ

Hi, have decided to go for a modern car now. I have established that Honda S2000s are about half price in the Uk and have found one I wish to bring over. Even with shipping and insurance, compliance, duty, plates et al its going to be hugely cheaper and the spec higher than NZ sourced.

Can anyone tell me what paper work is required for a modern car (2004)?

I am aware that proof of ownership is one thing (I assume the receipt from the dealer will suffice there), the fact that I can prove it has been registered in the country from whence it came (the old V5 form) and then we get on to the tricky bit. I understand I need to supply an EU fuel consumption cert AND frontal impact certs. Could some one be kind enough to let me know in an idiot proof way exactly what I need to get together to ensure this car will be allowed in please? Moreover where these certs and what ever else is needed are gotten from when you are 12000 miles away! Thank you in anticipation.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping late model cars to NZ

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi, have decided to go for a modern car now. I have established that Honda S2000s are about half price in the Uk and have found one I wish to bring over. Even with shipping and insurance, compliance, duty, plates et al its going to be hugely cheaper and the spec higher than NZ sourced.

Can anyone tell me what paper work is required for a modern car (2004)?

I am aware that proof of ownership is one thing (I assume the receipt from the dealer will suffice there), the fact that I can prove it has been registered in the country from whence it came (the old V5 form) and then we get on to the tricky bit. I understand I need to supply an EU fuel consumption cert AND frontal impact certs. Could some one be kind enough to let me know in an idiot proof way exactly what I need to get together to ensure this car will be allowed in please? Moreover where these certs and what ever else is needed are gotten from when you are 12000 miles away! Thank you in anticipation.
do you not also have to pay duty on it when it comes into NZ if you have not owned it for 12 months or more?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
do you not also have to pay duty on it when it comes into NZ if you have not owned it for 12 months or more?
Yes, 10% I think but that is only another 1100 pounds. It is still waaaaaaaaaay cheaper to buy this car in the UK and ship it here. I just don't know how to do it from NZ!!!!! Try finding a low mileage, mint, NZ new, 2004 S2000 with a hard top in NZ for a start and when you do look at the $$$$.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

2004 a "modern" car? You have been in NZ too long, old chap
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DC10
2004 a "modern" car? You have been in NZ too long, old chap
That IS funny!!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2011, 10:06 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

NZTA Guide to Importing Vehicles from Europe

Step through that, tells you how to get the fuel consumption/safety stds info and certs etc etc

You MUST have the EC standard plate on the vehicle, the most important check you can make is that this plate/sticker is ON the vehicle, the V5 listing the std the car complies with is not enough.

Using the NZTA site I had all the paperwork beforehand. I did send of for the EU compliance cert from VW from the UK though but that was done by email or fax and is free for the first request (under EU rules I think), so I think anyone in the UK could receive it and post it on. Some documentation copies have to travel with the shipper but the originals all need presenting here from memory.

North Shore Compliance seemed happy to advise when we imported ours through them.

Note, as you won't be getting the GST-free import coming from 12mths ownership prior to shipping you also won't get the exemption on emissions so make sure that the cars complies with the required Euro3 or 4 std, ours was Euro2 (2000 VW Beetle), but we were ok as we had the emissions exemption.
If it doesn't meet the required emissions std and you can't claim the exemption then it can't be registered for NZ roads.

The exemption comes from ownership prior to shipping so you can't just have it sit in a yard for 12mths in NZ then try again either...
Old Jun 30th 2011, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simonsi
NZTA Guide to Importing Vehicles from Europe

Step through that, tells you how to get the fuel consumption/safety stds info and certs etc etc

You MUST have the EC standard plate on the vehicle, the most important check you can make is that this plate/sticker is ON the vehicle, the V5 listing the std the car complies with is not enough.

Using the NZTA site I had all the paperwork beforehand. I did send of for the EU compliance cert from VW from the UK though but that was done by email or fax and is free for the first request (under EU rules I think), so I think anyone in the UK could receive it and post it on. Some documentation copies have to travel with the shipper but the originals all need presenting here from memory.

North Shore Compliance seemed happy to advise when we imported ours through them.

Note, as you won't be getting the GST-free import coming from 12mths ownership prior to shipping you also won't get the exemption on emissions so make sure that the cars complies with the required Euro3 or 4 std, ours was Euro2 (2000 VW Beetle), but we were ok as we had the emissions exemption.
If it doesn't meet the required emissions std and you can't claim the exemption then it can't be registered for NZ roads.

The exemption comes from ownership prior to shipping so you can't just have it sit in a yard for 12mths in NZ then try again either...
Cheers Si, sounds bloody complex to me. How do I know if the car I want has the EU sticker it needs? Matey in the UK showroom will say anything to get the car off his yard onto a Roro!! So hard when you are in the wrong hemisphere.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:26 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Cheers Si, sounds bloody complex to me. How do I know if the car I want has the EU sticker it needs? Matey in the UK showroom will say anything to get the car off his yard onto a Roro!! So hard when you are in the wrong hemisphere.
The V5 will show the EU std number so a scan of that plus a photo of the plate/sticker on the car by email would show you...im sure you could run that past North Shore Compliance for comment prior to parting with much cash.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

you also pay duty on the cost of getting it here AND the cost of insuring it while its in transit
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
you also pay duty on the cost of getting it here AND the cost of insuring it while its in transit
Yip 15% GST apparently on the car, marine ins and shipping!!