British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shipping goods as a Visitor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shipping-goods-visitor-508634/)

simonmarkellis Jan 23rd 2008 10:32 pm

Shipping goods as a Visitor

Was anyone aware that there was a change in the law back in November, which meant that if you initially entered NZ on a visitors visa, then subsequently applied for and got a work permit/PR etc that regardless of you visa status you are now still liable to pay GST on the goods you then ship over. This is aslo regardless of whether you wait for a work permit or not - you still pay it as you've initially entered the country as a visitor. (Now there's a stealth tax).

Funnily enough I haven't found any mention of it anywhere as yet on the old websites.

I mention this as they are now after a huge sum of money from me! (The money grabbing ba#@$%ds) I'm trying to see as I had my work permit issued in October whether or not this makes a difference. But be aware.

If you do come over as visitors first, you may as well ship your stuff straight away.

cappuccino Jan 24th 2008 12:31 am

Re: Shipping goods as a Visitor

That's awful! I can understand tax being paid when on a visitor permit but when its changed to a work permit or residency, they have a bl@@dy cheek! Can you fight it because you were never given this info in advance? I had heard about a bond being paid if shipping on visitor visa but then refunded if visa status changed... but I guess that's different to GST payment.

BEVS Jan 24th 2008 2:02 am

:ohmy: No I wasn't. I thought any initial payments were refunded once a work permit was produced. Can you provide a link so we can have a read. Maybe there is a way to obtain a GST refund.

Jac&Adie Jan 24th 2008 2:08 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5830759)
Was anyone aware that there was a change in the law back in November, which meant that if you initially entered NZ on a visitors visa, then subsequently applied for and got a work permit/PR etc that regardless of you visa status you are now still liable to pay GST on the goods you then ship over. This is aslo regardless of whether you wait for a work permit or not - you still pay it as you've initially entered the country as a visitor. (Now there's a stealth tax).

Funnily enough I haven't found any mention of it anywhere as yet on the old websites.

I mention this as they are now after a huge sum of money from me! (The money grabbing ba#@$%ds) I'm trying to see as I had my work permit issued in October whether or not this makes a difference. But be aware.

If you do come over as visitors first, you may as well ship your stuff straight away.

OMG :ohmy: This is a bit crap. Good luck sorting this out, keep us informed pls

Paladin Jan 24th 2008 2:14 am

Just have the visitor put their stuff in someone elses container and stay stumm!!! Worked for us!!!!! ;)

simonmarkellis Jan 24th 2008 2:37 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5831414)
:ohmy: No I wasn't. I thought any initial payments were refunded once a work permit was produced. Can you provide a link so we can have a read. Maybe there is a way to obtain a GST refund.

I have't got a link, just what NZVanlines told us over the phone. If I find anything else out, i'll post it here

BEVS Jan 24th 2008 2:52 am

There was This Thread a while back .

Re :- the Customs Service website - When No Customs Charges Applies

Re:- the customs Service website:-

Refunds if a concession is later approved for the goods.

I would hope this would include your container of household effects once you can show that you meet the criteria.

Email or phone customs direct so you know exactly where you stand..

simonmarkellis Jan 24th 2008 11:07 pm

Decided to go straight to the horses mouth!

Customs House - Wellington. Bloke in uniform steps up, miserable git, no hello nor goodbye when I left just the grimmace!

Anyway, I asked him about the shipping goods when first entering NZ as a visitor, and he proceeded to show me the rule that NZ Customs have been asked to implement, which is the rule on there website which states you only get a concessionary discount on personal effects and household items if you enter NZ for the 1st time with the right paperwork in place i.e a Work Permit. If you don't then you are liable for paying GST on your goods.

I asked the question when this law came into effect, to which he stated November! I said to him what about if you had your work permit issued prior to the new law coming into effect (Mine was October). He said that didn't make any difference as they can only go by what the law says now.

He did say that my best course of action would be to write in and complain. He said lots of people are doing it as they are in the same boat. Each case is being reviewed on a case by case basis and that I might get something back or nothing. But it's a case of don't ask you don't get.

It appears to be a law they have passed which didn't take into consideration those people who got a permit to work prior to the new law coming into effect and not getting there container until after it came into effect (One of those grey areas).

Anyway, i'll write in and see what happens, but for anyone else who is coming over on a visitors visa to secure that job offer then send for there container. If you're determined to make it work you may as well ship your stuff straight away, as you'll pay GST regardless!!

:curse::thumbdown::mad: