Reload this Page >

Shipping electrician's tools

Shipping electrician's tools

Old May 16th 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

miss_ck is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Shipping electrician's tools

Hi all
We've now had the ok from NZIS to go to NZ on a work visa until OH gets a job and can become registered as a qualified electrician.

So now I'm looking into shipping costs, timings etc. I would appreciate any advice from people who have needed to ship their tools for their trade.

We don't want to ship all his tools in with our main container because it takes around 10-12 weeks and he needs to keep some of them for his work here in UK until we are ready to go. We also don't want to try to carry them when we go because they will be very heavy and cumbersome. So, what is the best advice for us to be able to ship his tools cheaply but relatively quickly? Have any other tradespeople had experience of this and what did you do/ would you recommend we do?

What are the prices for tools (drills, etc) in NZ for electricans - would he be able to buy good quality tools easily and not pay extortionate prices?

Sorry for so many questions.
Thanks for any advice.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Yorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping electrician's tools

Originally Posted by miss_ck
Hi all
We've now had the ok from NZIS to go to NZ on a work visa until OH gets a job and can become registered as a qualified electrician.

So now I'm looking into shipping costs, timings etc. I would appreciate any advice from people who have needed to ship their tools for their trade.

We don't want to ship all his tools in with our main container because it takes around 10-12 weeks and he needs to keep some of them for his work here in UK until we are ready to go. We also don't want to try to carry them when we go because they will be very heavy and cumbersome. So, what is the best advice for us to be able to ship his tools cheaply but relatively quickly? Have any other tradespeople had experience of this and what did you do/ would you recommend we do?

What are the prices for tools (drills, etc) in NZ for electricans - would he be able to buy good quality tools easily and not pay extortionate prices?

Sorry for so many questions.
Thanks for any advice.
Sorry I can't help but as a Carpenter I was wondering the same. Hope somebody out there can help!!
Replacing all my tools over there would be an expensive headache!!!
Old May 16th 2007, 10:17 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I sent a pair of Kennedy cantilever barnboxes with my Aircraft fitters tools over, (they weighed around 60KG,) along with a suitcase with Haze's hairdressing gear, and a suitcase of clothes.
These four items were shipped as unaccompanied luggage with Plane Handling, Air NZ's freight agent at LHR.
The total cost for about 110Kg of kit was £483.
However, the paperwork was very poorly explained, and we were running around for about ten days here trying to push Main Freight to get it to us.
Turns out tthe MAF forms and customs fees at this end were all that held it up.
It's recommended you send a contents list, and a letter stating that they're your personal property, not for resale, and used in your line of work.
Once the paperwork was cleared, no-one even looked in the boxes.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My husband is a plumber. We sent all his tools over in the container which took 6 weeks to arrive. The NZ employer arranged for tools to be available to my husband until his own arrived although he did end up buying some cheap bits and pieces.

Tools are expensive here. Drill bits are in price for instance. It will cost you thousands to replace your tools so just bring everything and more. NZ trade employers here often offer a tool allowance of $1 or 50c a week as part of a pay package. In reality many Kiwis have a running tab with their employers for the purchase of tools.

You needs to make sure that the inventory and documents reflect that the amount of tools are for trade work purposes.

We did have a phone call regarding the amount of tools we brought in but having explained the trade and job all was released. The container wasn't inspected and no fees were levied.

check out:-

http://www.placemakers.co.nz/tradetalk.asp?tn=t

http://www.i-tools.co.nz/subcat-view...alt%20Products

http://www.rsnewzealand.com/cgi-bin/...FRAjhgodWFwCdg

When looking at the prices please remember that you may find you are taking home about $18 bucks an hour if on $25 gross a week = $850 net take home pay weekly.