Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping documentation and MAF

Shipping documentation and MAF

Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping documentation and MAF

I received all the paperwork from NZVL this week which included Application for client code and Unaccompanied Baggage declaration. Their covering letter with documentation said that:
Destination services have been prepaid to residence but not the following charges:
  • Customs duty/GST
  • Wharf demurrage
  • Container detention fees
  • Storage rental and store handling fees
  • MAF quarantine inspection fees
  • Customs inspection fees
  • Cleaning or fumigation charges, including re delivery of these items
  • Shuttle vehicle (if difficult access at residence)

I just checked my invoice from PSS and it states that I have paid for all the usual costs plus:
NES customs export security charge.

Is this charge anything to do with MAF?

I don't see anywhere in my documentation that I have requested NZVL to pay MAF on my behalf so what should I do now to ensure that I can pay MAF directly?

On the declaration form I only highlighted garden furniture/garden tools/shoes and boots - will this be enough or should I go further and say that some tools are mixed in with other items (most of my tools were clean and kept in the house, not the garage/shed)?

I'm on my own here and its quite a daunting task to get this sorted so any advice is gratefully received.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:27 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping documentation and MAF

I think most contracts say that these sort of fees aren't covered (we had them for both times we've shipped containers) but what it really boils down to is just the MAF fee in most cases.

If you make it clear you're going to pay the MAF fee yourself you shouldn't have any issues, provided you've cleaned everything properly, the inspection is done at the place of delivery and you don't want them to store the container for you beforehand.

I think what you have declared will probably be sufficient, they will go through the packing inventory anyway and tell NZVL what they want them to put aside for inspection. I would imagine that MAF are quite used to things being mixed up by the packers so probably wouldn't be surprised to find tools in with other items. They tend to home in on shoes, tents, golf clubs, garden equipment, vacuum cleaners etc.

Last edited by Nerine; Mar 16th 2008 at 3:33 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nerine

I emailed them this morning advising that I would be settling MAF bill directly and this is their response:
with regards to settling the bill with MAF Quarantine this is not usually practice they send us the charges and then we call you and advise exam fees then MAF Quarantine Invoice us.

Does this read like they will tell me the actual cost from MAF and not the actual cost plus whatever they feel like adding to it?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:56 pm

Sounds a bit waffly doesn't it.

Tell them you are only prepared to pay MAF themselves on the production of their invoice. It may be their "normal practice" but doesn't have to be yours.

If they get shirty just say you're going to ask the Commerce Commission to get involved, that you will be making a formal complaint to the shipping company you used back in the UK and writing a letter of complaint to NZVL's managing director .

Last edited by Nerine; Mar 17th 2008 at 1:46 am.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I emailed them back saying that I want assurance that I will only be paying what MAF invoice, nothing more and she replied in the affirmative so I hope that will be the case!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:47 am

Ok. Just hope they keep to it, let us know how you get on.