Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping - DIY, Anyone Done It?

Shipping - DIY, Anyone Done It?

Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all
Default Shipping - DIY, Anyone Done It?

Been quoted £3.5k for a forty footer, cheap as!!

One catch, I have to do everything myself. I load it, do my own itemised lists, my own insurance and transport from Auckland down to Hamilton.

Is it worth the hassle of saving £1500 or is it pretty simple?

Any advice from people who've done it would be great!

What's MAF's opinions of people who don't use the usual shippers?

Thanks
TN
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping - DIY, Anyone Done It?

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut View Post
Been quoted £3.5k for a forty footer, cheap as!!

One catch, I have to do everything myself. I load it, do my own itemised lists, my own insurance and transport from Auckland down to Hamilton.

Is it worth the hassle of saving £1500 or is it pretty simple?

Any advice from people who've done it would be great!

What's MAF's opinions of people who don't use the usual shippers?

Thanks
TN
Our shipment went last week from Grangemouth with Anglo Pacific, approx 600 cubic feet in a partial 20 foot container, it took 5 guys from 9.30am-8pm to pack and load into the vans, so I'd be inclined to say get help, it must be a pretty mammoth task to take on doing all the packing. We did a lot, had everything organised and a load of stuff packed in drawers & boxes etc and it still took a lot of time, on the other hand enrol your mates and it could be ok!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

I've looked at it again in the cold light of day and it's probably madness on my behalf.

For the sake of a few guys sorting everything out for us, me having to sort out transport to Teesport, transport from Auckland to Hamilton and added to that the hassle factor I'm just gonna pay them, not sure what I was thinking to be honest?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:33 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut View Post
I've looked at it again in the cold light of day and it's probably madness on my behalf.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

It was just one of those things when you have a "Baldrick" moment and you think you've come up with the most cunning plan since Basil the fox had just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University!