British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shipping costs and negotiating! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shipping-costs-negotiating-767887/)

Mrs shopaholic Aug 10th 2012 4:56 pm

Shipping costs and negotiating!

Hi
We have narrowed it down to a couple of companies whose prices are a few hundred pounds apart.
I have tried to get the lower quote (from Pickfords) down a bit (as I had read on here that people generally got a bit of a reduction) but they are saying that they want a copy of a lower quote before they will reduce their price!
Is this normal?
Have you had experience of getting what is already your lowest quote reduced at all?
Thanks
Vicky
:)

hazeandsteve Aug 10th 2012 6:15 pm

Re: Shipping costs and negotiating!

All our negotiatons were over the phone.
If they're being arsey, go with the other lot.

higgy2 Aug 10th 2012 7:23 pm

We did a bit of bartering but then went with Pickfords as they are a
dependable company with excellent customer reviews.

I think they know roughly what the main companies all charge.

At the end of the day it is down to you to choose, best of luck.

Up early to go and watch friends do a 12k cross country race then to the
Hot Springs.

kirstyp Aug 13th 2012 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs shopaholic (Post 10220567)
Hi
We have narrowed it down to a couple of companies whose prices are a few hundred pounds apart.
I have tried to get the lower quote (from Pickfords) down a bit (as I had read on here that people generally got a bit of a reduction) but they are saying that they want a copy of a lower quote before they will reduce their price!
Is this normal?
Have you had experience of getting what is already your lowest quote reduced at all?
Thanks
Vicky

This is standard practice in the moving industry, and not because they think you're lying, so don't worry :)

Pickfords will be asking to see the quote to ensure that both companies are quoting like for like before they look at their price. They want to make sure you're getting the same service and standards and that there aren't any hidden charges. If they can see you are getting the same for a lower price then they will see if they can review, but it might be they notice the other company aren't including something they are (for example a difference in volume, extra protection for a special item etc) or be able to show you why they are worth the extra!

hazeandsteve Aug 13th 2012 6:27 pm

And there was me thinking they wanted to get as much off you as possible.
Nice to see Pickfords have become ethical rather than profit driven.

Mrs shopaholic Aug 13th 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks for the replies, we have decided to go with Pickfords so will leave a review in due course!