Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping costs????

Shipping costs????

Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

tonz76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping costs????

Hi all We are just waiting for the approval of our visa got a job offer in Invercargill south island and cant wait to get started. We have had a couple of the shipping companies around to quote (PSS. Pickfords, Crown and Doreebonner) volume is around 270 cubic foot so not really shipping a great deal. The quotes range from £1400 - £2300 (Crown ) Does anyone think that these prices are reasonable? Not sure if I will be able to knock them down a bit Can anyone recommend any cheaper companies
Old Mar 14th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs????

Crown are known to be expensive.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tonz76
Hi all We are just waiting for the approval of our visa got a job offer in Invercargill south island and cant wait to get started. We have had a couple of the shipping companies around to quote (PSS. Pickfords, Crown and Doreebonner) volume is around 270 cubic foot so not really shipping a great deal. The quotes range from £1400 - £2300 (Crown ) Does anyone think that these prices are reasonable? Not sure if I will be able to knock them down a bit Can anyone recommend any cheaper companies
Tony,
Me and another 1 maybe two people on here are currently looking at using Pickfords and Robinsons. I have them coming round in the next week or two so i'l let you know what they quote me.

Gary.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Not sure if these are good or not as we shipped a lot more than that. What we did though was to go back the highest quoter and tell them what the others were quoting and asked them to at least match it. You can work your way through all of them like that. It's amazing how much they'll budge on price when it comes down to it!

Also make sure that they are all offering the same thing for the price. Insurance, customs fees, MAF etc. Some of the cheaper quotes might not contain everything you need.

Crown aren't always the most expensive, it depends who you are dealing with.

We used PSS and we thought they were good.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wessa
Tony,
Me and another 1 maybe two people on here are currently looking at using Pickfords and Robinsons. I have them coming round in the next week or two so i'l let you know what they quote me.

Gary.
yeah that be great to find out as a comparison. I also contacted Robinsons but they didnt seem too bothered about coming out and just gave me a quote by email.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Markk
Not sure if these are good or not as we shipped a lot more than that. What we did though was to go back the highest quoter and tell them what the others were quoting and asked them to at least match it. You can work your way through all of them like that. It's amazing how much they'll budge on price when it comes down to it!

Also make sure that they are all offering the same thing for the price. Insurance, customs fees, MAF etc. Some of the cheaper quotes might not contain everything you need.

Crown aren't always the most expensive, it depends who you are dealing with.

We used PSS and we thought they were good.
I thought PSS were the best of the lot when they came to quote and their quote was the cheapest
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

John Mason's have come in with a good quote for us so might also be worth a try. I didn't even try Robinsons as I tried for 2 days to get into their website and decided that they couldn't have been in business....
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Si19761
John Mason's have come in with a good quote for us so might also be worth a try. I didn't even try Robinsons as I tried for 2 days to get into their website and decided that they couldn't have been in business....
Hi All, have a look at a thread titled shipping further down the front page, you may pick up some useful info on there.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gazmfc
Hi All, have a look at a thread titled shipping further down the front page, you may pick up some useful info on there.
One step ahead after all the useful threads. We are going groupage which they have said will be maersk, timescale not such an issue for us.... the rest is just fingers crossed
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Just had a quote from Pearsons after a recommendation and they have quoted £1250. They have come in the cheapest although it was an email quote based on the same volume.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future

We used John Masons, £2300 for a 20 foot container. We packed everything ourselves though, so all we needed was for the guys to load the container!
My advice would be to bring everything you can, most things are expensive over here due to supply and demand.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jewelie38
We used John Masons, £2300 for a 20 foot container. We packed everything ourselves though, so all we needed was for the guys to load the container!
My advice would be to bring everything you can, most things are expensive over here due to supply and demand.
Hi can i ask did you have to take the goods to your container? I can't find a company that will let us pack ourselves, unless we take stuff to the container.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by gazmfc
Here you go. Shipping
and One More
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jewelie38
Who did you use for marine insurance and were they aware you packed your stuff yourselves.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future

When I rang the shipping companies to get a quote I told them that I had already packed all our house up and only wanted them to quote me to load into a 20 foot container and do the usual stuff afterwards. (My husband had acquired many rolls of bubble wrap through his work so seemed the best idea at the time). I had three companies quote me then finally when we had negotiated a price and where happy we took John Masons offer. The companies seemed quite happy to quote, however, you will not be able to take out accidental cover, as afterall, you could have damaged the item during the packing. I took out total loss in case my container was lost, sank or had water damage, if I remember rightly I took this with John Mason's as well.
The only thing with packing yourself is you need to be very organised and keep a list of basically whats in each box (just the big things) eg. like books or tools etc. When the guys arrive to start loading the container, (the container comes to outside your home) you may have to transfer the list to their paperwork. I had to and it took me about 15-30 mins. Obviously you also have to number each box or item to correspond with your list.
We found this all very easy and container arrived very promptly, nothing broken and the guys this end were very careful and efficient in unloading and taking each item to the right rooms in the house. I would definately recommend John Masons. Hope this helps! x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.