Reload this Page >

Which shipping company? Scotland-NZ 2013

Which shipping company? Scotland-NZ 2013

Old Aug 26th 2013, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Tablefor5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which shipping company? Scotland-NZ 2013

Hello,

We are in the process of planning a move from Scotland to Auckland and would be delighted with any recommendations for companies to either use or avoid to move all of our furniture and belongings.

I have read as many posts as I can on the topic which have been very helpful and just wondered if anyone had any more recent experiences (end of 2012/start of2013) that they were willing to share?

with thanks,
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:40 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which shipping company? Scotland-NZ 2013

Originally Posted by Tablefor5
Hello,

We are in the process of planning a move from Scotland to Auckland and would be delighted with any recommendations for companies to either use or avoid to move all of our furniture and belongings.

I have read as many posts as I can on the topic which have been very helpful and just wondered if anyone had any more recent experiences (end of 2012/start of2013) that they were willing to share?

with thanks,
Hi there, welcome to BE

We moved from the North East of England to Auckland NZ in June 2013. I did my research and got loads of quotes. Pickfords were our final decision. They let you have part containers and only charge you for the space you are taking up. They were quite reasonable too. We got 350 cubic feet for just under £2000. The men that packed our stuff were great. I packed various plastic containers myself that contained personal stuff. We dismantled our own furniture ready which made it cheaper. The furniture left our house on Wed 22nd May and reached us in Auckland on Fri 9th August. We did have some problems with MAF signing off our stuff here so we would have had the furniture sooner.

I did have a couple of things broken when they came here and Pickfords have been great at helping me put a claim in. You keep the same move co-ordinator the whole time which is good because you get to know who you are talking to.

One thing I would advise is to shop around for your insurance. I went with Pickfords and was later advised on here that there are cheaper insurance companys to go with. Letton Percival was recommended.

Pickfords do state that you cannot fill any drawers but i did. The men who packed the stuff did not mind as long as it didnt make things too heavy for them to lift.

Hope this has helped. Any further questions dont hesitate to ask!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

We also used Pickfords. Their service was great and they were pretty good on this side of the world as well.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:58 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
We also used Pickfords. Their service was great and they were pretty good on this side of the world as well.
Hi Davros

I am using them to go home too. I e-mailed and asked if I could have a discount if I used them to go home as we did use them to come here and they said they are sure they could work something out for me.

When the guys delivered our furniture here I asked them about returning (as I already knew we werent staying) and they said to fill all the drawers etc with stuff to keep the cost down.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

We used PSS International from Preston to Wellington and they were great. Filled a 40 footer and they gave us a free airfreight package so we had essential things within a couple of weeks after arrival instead of the 12 weeks by sea.
Letton Percival in Liverpool to insure the shipment is way cheaper than the shipping companies or do like me and get your new company in NZ to insure the lot for free !!!
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Tablefor5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Hi there, welcome to BE

We moved from the North East of England to Auckland NZ in June 2013. I did my research and got loads of quotes. Pickfords were our final decision. They let you have part containers and only charge you for the space you are taking up. They were quite reasonable too. We got 350 cubic feet for just under £2000. The men that packed our stuff were great. I packed various plastic containers myself that contained personal stuff. We dismantled our own furniture ready which made it cheaper. The furniture left our house on Wed 22nd May and reached us in Auckland on Fri 9th August. We did have some problems with MAF signing off our stuff here so we would have had the furniture sooner.

I did have a couple of things broken when they came here and Pickfords have been great at helping me put a claim in. You keep the same move co-ordinator the whole time which is good because you get to know who you are talking to.

One thing I would advise is to shop around for your insurance. I went with Pickfords and was later advised on here that there are cheaper insurance companys to go with. Letton Percival was recommended.

Pickfords do state that you cannot fill any drawers but i did. The men who packed the stuff did not mind as long as it didnt make things too heavy for them to lift.

Hope this has helped. Any further questions dont hesitate to ask!
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences, very helpful and much appreciated. Great to hear about the insurance, time frames and the need for one move co-ordinator throughout.

Many thanks!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

We used Anglo Pacific in 2011 - they were great.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

with thanks,
We used John Mason.
They were excellent and we would recommend them without a doubt.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:25 am
Just Joined

ellec is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Coming over to NZ in the next few months on a UK visitor visa initially, will look into other visa options for staying longer when there.

I wont be shipping any furniture, it will only be personal belongings, clothes mainly as I know clothing is expensive in NZ! So all in all I will probably only fill a few boxes - does anyone know cheapest way to do this???

Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2013, 7:15 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by ellec
Hi there

Coming over to NZ in the next few months on a UK visitor visa initially, will look into other visa options for staying longer when there.

I wont be shipping any furniture, it will only be personal belongings, clothes mainly as I know clothing is expensive in NZ! So all in all I will probably only fill a few boxes - does anyone know cheapest way to do this???

Thanks
Hi there

Get a quote from pickfords as they charge by the space you use only.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Kin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to all

Hello,

with thanks,
We used Pickfords. They were good and nothing got broken. Be aware though, that if you move into an apartment above 2 floors (I think it was) they charge extra NZ side before they deliver the furniture. From memory it was about $400.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Denise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really nice

Hi, we used Kilmarnock Removals when we moved from Prestwick to Christchurch back in 2010. Would happily recommend them.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

ellec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Denise01292
Hi, we used Kilmarnock Removals when we moved from Prestwick to Christchurch back in 2010. Would happily recommend them.
Hi Denise01292

Sorry for Very late reply but thanks for your recommendation!