Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

shipping companies from UK to NZ

shipping companies from UK to NZ

Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Default Re: shipping companies from UK to NZ

Originally Posted by gedsy
Bev
Have you finished getting your quotes yet. Was Robinsons the cheapest and also, have you sorted your insurance out yet!
Hi Gedsy,

All quotes in now. Robinsons the cheapest at £3400 for 20 foot container, followed very closely by Pickfords at £3456. Crown are way more expensive at £4500 but thats based on sharing a container because the agent worked out that it wouldnt fit in 20ft. Want to go with Pickfords because my employer is contributing to the shipping costs and they deal with Pickfords and Crown.

Pickfords are charging 2% insurance based on £40 per cubic foot which will work out around £800 I think?? Will contact Letton Percival as recommended by Gay and see what they come up with.

Where are you up to?

Bev
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:36 pm
Banned

gedsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BevK
Hi Gedsy,

All quotes in now. Robinsons the cheapest at £3400 for 20 foot container, followed very closely by Pickfords at £3456. Crown are way more expensive at £4500 but thats based on sharing a container because the agent worked out that it wouldnt fit in 20ft. Want to go with Pickfords because my employer is contributing to the shipping costs and they deal with Pickfords and Crown.

Pickfords are charging 2% insurance based on £40 per cubic foot which will work out around £800 I think?? Will contact Letton Percival as recommended by Gay and see what they come up with.

Where are you up to?

Bev
Bev
We're right on the bottom rung.Have'nt had anyone in yet, thought we'd kick most things around with the expats first.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all
Smile Re: shipping companies from UK to NZ

OTE=gedsy;9474772]hi almost ready to look at different shipping companies to take our belongings to NZ, can i just ask does anyone know who are the best and the cheapest companies. Can i also ask do you have to give them an address for where the container needs to go in NZ or is it stored there until you find permanent accommodation[/QUOTE]

Hi we used pickfords, although there customer service was shocking in scotland they were the cheapest. The container arrived 3 weeks earlier which was good. At this end the customer service was great and pickfords delivered the goods themselves they did not use a second party. Everything arrived safely and not even a cup was broken. We also used them for our insurance.

To answer your question about having an address at this end yes you do we had a cousin here so used there address. They will also store it for you for i think a month if you dont have forwarding address. Dont know if youve been told the same as us but we had to show them visas and flight tickets before they would ship the container. I know a girl here that used anglo pacific i was at her house when her stuff was delivered to help her un pack. They used a second party to deliver, dont know who they were but most of her stuff was either broken or damaged she was in tears it was a shame. When she tried to claim insurance she had nothing but trouble. What part of NZ you going to?
Old Jul 8th 2011, 3:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Snazishaz
OTE=gedsy;9474772]hi almost ready to look at different shipping companies to take our belongings to NZ, can i just ask does anyone know who are the best and the cheapest companies. Can i also ask do you have to give them an address for where the container needs to go in NZ or is it stored there until you find permanent accommodation
Hi we used pickfords, although there customer service was shocking in scotland they were the cheapest. The container arrived 3 weeks earlier which was good. At this end the customer service was great and pickfords delivered the goods themselves they did not use a second party. Everything arrived safely and not even a cup was broken. We also used them for our insurance.

To answer your question about having an address at this end yes you do we had a cousin here so used there address. They will also store it for you for i think a month if you dont have forwarding address. Dont know if youve been told the same as us but we had to show them visas and flight tickets before they would ship the container. I know a girl here that used anglo pacific i was at her house when her stuff was delivered to help her un pack. They used a second party to deliver, dont know who they were but most of her stuff was either broken or damaged she was in tears it was a shame. When she tried to claim insurance she had nothing but trouble. What part of NZ you going to?[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that Snaz
We 're going to Christchurch or at least Canterbury. We have friends there.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:49 am
Just Joined

geordielasstoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we came from Newcastle to Chch as well lately and used Pickfords. Service was good and they picked up even though we were waiting for funds from a property sale to clear. However when our stuff arrived the glass top from a table was broken and when we tried to claim from the insurance they had just filed the paperwork away without taking out the insurance. Everything happened so quickly to get us here we didn't register that the insurance hadn't been paid. Not very much help from them from this point. Just make sure it's all paid for and you have the paperwork unlike us but it's easily forgotten when you have so much other stuff on your mind. We also had a quote from Anglo Pacific for a full container but when we decided it wasn't worth bringing some stuff and asked for a revised quote they didn't even bother getting back to us. Hope everything goes well for you.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we are having a few companies out to quote for us ~ first one on Wednesday. I will post our findings as a comparison, we are being quoted by PSS, Anglo Pacific & White & CO. for a reasonable quote
Old Jul 10th 2011, 7:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by florabundi
Hi, we are having a few companies out to quote for us ~ first one on Wednesday. I will post our findings as a comparison, we are being quoted by PSS, Anglo Pacific & White & CO. for a reasonable quote
Thanks for your reply. Have you tried Robinsons, they seem to be quite favourable at the moment.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Will definitely try robinsons now ~ PSS quoted us £6949 for a high cube 40ft container. Anglo came out and boy, were we impressed when he said appx £6000 ~ then came his written quote....£8200 Still waiting on the quote from White & Co. Hubby is taking quite a lot of garage equipment & tools with him along with 3 motorbikes and a car...I think my sofa might fit in too
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

hi we used nz vanlines when we went to nz , because we paid door to door container was not opened untill it arrived at our rental , we had to wait two hours for maf to turn up no extrta charges no complaint
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

coffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by florabundi
Will definitely try robinsons now ~ PSS quoted us £6949 for a high cube 40ft container. Anglo came out and boy, were we impressed when he said appx £6000 ~ then came his written quote....£8200 Still waiting on the quote from White & Co. Hubby is taking quite a lot of garage equipment & tools with him along with 3 motorbikes and a car...I think my sofa might fit in too
We too need a 40ft high cube.. we are left with a choice of 3, our quotes are

Pickfords with their insurance £5500
Hoults (Pickford too) £5300 with their insurance
John mason £5800

We are also taking an entire double garage of tools plus a campervan in full restoration
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
We too need a 40ft high cube.. we are left with a choice of 3, our quotes are

Pickfords with their insurance £5500
Hoults (Pickford too) £5300 with their insurance
John mason £5800

We are also taking an entire double garage of tools plus a campervan in full restoration
Does the quote include the insurance or is that the quote that they are giving you with the condition that you take out their insurance? Depending on who you prefer to go with, I would go back to Pickfords and get them to match Hoults quote. Pickfords insurance sounds reasonable at 2% which is what they offered me, but when I spoke with Letton Percival which is from 1.25% it doesnt include the extra cover which Letton offer. Just in the midst of accepting Pickfords quote, but there was no mention of it being based on taking out their insurance? Hope not anyway