British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shipping Companies - need to book in next 2 days so need good advice please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shipping-companies-need-book-next-2-days-so-need-good-advice-please-576140/)

Suzbits Dec 1st 2008 9:01 am

Shipping Companies - need to book in next 2 days so need good advice please

My last posting was to moan about our house not renting. It now looks like we have finally found our renters!!! :thumbsup: Finger, toes and everything crossed they are going in start the credit checks and paperwork today, so i am going to start things rolling from our end.

Have had quotes from 4 of the big container shipping companies and I am about to play them all off against each other. We are going to Christchurch so no extra fees to pay from the port, which is good. I have seen one company who did the inventory to calculate the exact capacity and then have spoken at length to all the others.

In your opinion would you use your shippers again? Were they value for money? Did the container arrive when quoted? Any problems with the process?

Sorry for all the questions but it may be a move before Xmas, so I am having to move quickly.

BEVS Dec 1st 2008 9:02 am

Re: Shipping Companies - need to book in next 2 days so need good advice please

We used Curtiss at Portsmouth and , yes, we would use them again. They did exactly as they said they would.

southerner Dec 1st 2008 9:58 pm

We used Avalon (part of TEAM group) based I think at Hayes, Middlesex. They did a good job and we would recommend them. They used NZ Vanlines in NZ (who I would also recommend).

P2L Dec 2nd 2008 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Suzbits (Post 7025319)
My last posting was to moan about our house not renting. It now looks like we have finally found our renters!!! :thumbsup: Finger, toes and everything crossed they are going in start the credit checks and paperwork today, so i am going to start things rolling from our end.

Have had quotes from 4 of the big container shipping companies and I am about to play them all off against each other. We are going to Christchurch so no extra fees to pay from the port, which is good. I have seen one company who did the inventory to calculate the exact capacity and then have spoken at length to all the others.

In your opinion would you use your shippers again? Were they value for money? Did the container arrive when quoted? Any problems with the process?

Sorry for all the questions but it may be a move before Xmas, so I am having to move quickly.

We used Crown and YES I would use them again. We also put them under some pressure, because NZIS mucked around for so long, we gave them a week's notice, and they quoted over the phone using everyone else's info :sneaky:

They are also in NZ, so no messing with different handlers. Also, had no extra fees for MAF inspection (and they open 18 boxes!!!!)

UKNZAUS Dec 2nd 2008 2:24 am

We used GB Liners and couldn't recommend them highly enough. They're not a well-known one like the main 4-5 but they certainly give them a run for the money! They packed up a 4 bed house in a day and half, had it all squeezed in so you couldn't even get a flea in there, and shipped it in less time than originally quoted :thumbsup:

Would I use them again... definately YES. They were quite cheap compared to some others too and I even managed 4 weeks free storage too.

NZ Vanlines at this end and erm... they did refund me for my troubles, and that is all I can say that is positive about them!

Suzbits Dec 2nd 2008 6:32 am

Thanks for all your comments and advice. We maybe looking at w/c 15th Dec to pack up so need to make a decision quickly - scary stuff!

nero Dec 4th 2008 7:19 am

We used Crown moving to NZ and they did exactly as they said. The chaps both in England that packed us and the chaps that unpacked were great although the former did require supervision something we did not realise at the time. Hence our bed for the night was packed as were a couple of items that were not coming to NZ :-) Although we did not have any toast like some people!

We have subsequenty used Crown again to move from our long term rental to our new home and again there were no problems. I know they are probably not the cheapest but we have no complaints. They also dealt with MAF and there were no additional costs.

Good luck

kiwichicks Dec 6th 2008 6:57 pm

Hi
We used Crown and no complaints. The added bonus is that they have locations in New Zealand so no waiting for silly hour to contact a person in UK.
Would recommend them but I got my insurance from Letton due to Crown insurance being very expensive.
All our shipment arrived on the date quoted

D:)