British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shipping Companies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shipping-companies-443893/)

Want2goNow Apr 21st 2007 3:44 pm

Shipping Companies

Hi,
just about to start the ball rolling but need to know of any good shipping companies to ship over our stuff.

phil01 Apr 21st 2007 8:39 pm

Re: Shipping Companies

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4677668)
Hi,
just about to start the ball rolling but need to know of any good shipping companies to ship over our stuff.

Hi,

we went through the www.removalgroup.com

They were OK but our stuff took 3 months to arrive as we didn't want a full container so had to wait for the container to be filled by others.

Winnie Apr 21st 2007 9:10 pm

Crown relocations. Very professional and helpful.

leaseuk Apr 22nd 2007 8:16 am

Containers: http://www.anglopacific.co.uk/
or
Teachests: http://www.sevenseas.co.uk/

grimm Apr 22nd 2007 9:12 am

Just a hint:
Our shipping company cost us a fortune and ended up not doing an itinery - we got stung by MAF due to their mistake and so they ended up keeping our shipment longer than expected so they could rip all the boxes open and go through all our stuff.
That really sucked!!
Oh and charged us for it too.
BOO!!!:mad:
Thanks a bunch Simpsons

Boopy Apr 22nd 2007 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Winnie (Post 4678558)
Crown relocations. Very professional and helpful.

We also used Crown - they were brill.

minky Apr 22nd 2007 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 4679887)
We also used Crown - they were brill.

We used PSS in UK and NZ lines here no problems everthing was packed so well in UK that nothing moved nothing damaged.

trigod Apr 22nd 2007 11:14 pm

Try Britannia, we found them to be very good.

AlbieLittle May 6th 2007 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4677668)
Hi,

I have just shipped stuff from Brisbane with pack and send. Unfortunately, my stuff somehow ended up in Singapore. :eek:

P2L May 6th 2007 4:55 am

Crown!! Not the cheapest but you get Crown in NZ too unlike a lot of others who subby it out. People on here (who??!!!!:sneaky: ) have had problems in the past because of this

BEVS May 6th 2007 6:00 am

We used White and Co to ship our stuff. We paid for the door to door service but as mentioned by Kev and Sue, White and Co. sub-contract out to an NZ removals company once the container hits NZ shores.

Several other shipping companies also do this. The two New Zealand removers that are the sub-contracters are usually The Moving Company and White Van Lines.

Most UK shippers will state that you will be responsible for your MAF charges.

There have been problems with this method as White Van Lines and Moving Company have been found in the past to be charging excessive 'service fees' for the MAF inspections and fees levied. Typically $400 + .

When talking with a UK shipper , ask them if they deliver to your NZ door or if they use a third party remover - White Van Lines /Moving Company. Ask them what the policy is with regard to possible MAF fees.
If your chosen shipper is going to use a third party removal firm here, then make sure they understand that you will deal with the inspection yourself .
You will be filling in the paperwork anyway regardless & these forms are not hard You just need the list of hwhat MAF could be interested in.
i.e. bikes, boots, tools, whicker baskets, wood items etc
. Have the MAf inspection at your new home if you can. MAF will do this.
Of course, you may be happy to pay the $400 service charge to the third party removers on top of the £££ you pay to your UK shipper.
It's just something to think about. $400 bucks is a lot of money here and could buy you your first week in a rental.

You can read about

MAF here

Amber and Chris May 6th 2007 1:18 pm

Sorry to be slightly off topic. I've searched previous threads and they haven't quite answered what I'm looking for. Loathe to start ANOTHER new thread on shipping questions, so:

Pay to ship door-to-door or go to port yourself and deal with the MAF stuff? We're looking at 600 more dollars to get the stuff through port (not even to our home; just to get all the MAF taken care of) than "to port". Is it stressful enough that the 600 bucks will be worth it?

Thanks; when we get there I promise I will post really useful info everywhere about shipping. ;)

sirplug May 6th 2007 6:15 pm

Any ideas of an average cost for a container to NZ, what cost a 40ft or a 20ft container??

What extras are you likely to pay for?

Thanks in advance

sirplug May 6th 2007 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 4744855)
Any ideas of an average cost for a container to NZ, what cost a 40ft or a 20ft container??

What extras are you likely to pay for?

Thanks in advance

I've just found this link!!

It's a bloke thing, I did look, honest!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447758

KiwiKate May 6th 2007 8:17 pm

Try to avoid any companies that use Budget Moving, Auckland at this end. We had a whole box of DVD's and Playstation games stolen, and the manager of the company was most unhelpful.

And we didn't do a full inventory either, and got stung by MAF, who took all our camping, golf, bikes and hiking shoes and charged us for the inspection and cleaning. To do this, they opened up ALL our boxes as they didn't know where to locate said items, and other bits and pieces subsequently went missing!!!

DO do a full inventory, just in case. :)