Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

shipping companies

shipping companies

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

teacara is an unknown quantity at this point
Post shipping companies

we are about to book shippers, what are your experiences and recommendations. we have three quotes and they are varied. going from Birmingham to wanganui.
thanks folks in advance
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping companies

Originally Posted by teacara
we are about to book shippers, what are your experiences and recommendations. we have three quotes and they are varied. going from Birmingham to wanganui.
thanks folks in advance
We're going to wellington from hertfordshire in 6 weeks, we booked crown, 20ft container for £4300. from what i've read here crown come recommended.
Good luck, i'm amazed how much rubbish i've thrown out & the amount of stuff thats going to charity that we just haven't used for ages
All the best
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by teacara
thanks folks in advance
Hi There
We are going from Hertfordshire, and have used John Masons, they arrive to pack on mon 6th march. For a 20ft container cost £3,400 + insurance who we got through Letton Percival at 1.53%.
Good luck!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:20 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

We used PSS to Welly (think it was 3/4 of a 20 ft container for approx £2400 (or that sort of fig) - would recommend - we had a couple of breakages which were sorted out on insurance.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there - we used PSS Milton Keynes to Lyttleton (christchurch) - 20ft container £3600 plus insurance - they were excellent - we thought we were gonna have groupage (extra to go in shared container) would've cost another £1500 but they got it all in
Vicki
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Dave in Auckland will become famous soon enough

If you're moving a small amount of stuff, I can recommend Voovit.com. I shipped 10 boxex (3x the size of tea chests) for 300quid. You have to fit in with when they've filled a container (I had to wait 6 weeks for collection) but incredibly cheap & worked well. They almost always have deals and at the moment you can ship 1 box (30kgs) for 60 quid, far cheaper than any other shipping for pressies, for example
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 6:58 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave in Auckland
If you're moving a small amount of stuff, I can recommend Voovit.com. I shipped 10 boxex (3x the size of tea chests) for 300quid. You have to fit in with when they've filled a container (I had to wait 6 weeks for collection) but incredibly cheap & worked well. They almost always have deals and at the moment you can ship 1 box (30kgs) for 60 quid, far cheaper than any other shipping for pressies, for example
Sounds like a tip for the really useful thread.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

That sounds pretty good - we shipped 12 tea chest sized boxes, 2 bike boxes and a keyboard from Burton to Auckland with PSS - cost just over a grand including insurance.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of

This is really good news!!!!
We left a few bits with my mum as we knew we had accumulated a little too much to take after staying with her for a couple of months before we came out, (you know how people give you momentoes and you collect memories! ) and we were very sad to leave them. Mum only asked the other day if there was a way to get them over reasonably cheaply!
Thanks for the info and another excuse to speak to Mum!!!
Karma sent to you lovely people!
Love Cathy
xxxx
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nivlem
This is really good news!!!!
We left a few bits with my mum as we knew we had accumulated a little too much to take after staying with her for a couple of months before we came out, (you know how people give you momentoes and you collect memories! ) and we were very sad to leave them. Mum only asked the other day if there was a way to get them over reasonably cheaply!
Thanks for the info and another excuse to speak to Mum!!!
Karma sent to you lovely people!
Love Cathy
xxxx
Although I have never yet travelled/lived so far away from the UK as NZ, I have lived in other countries and generally found that "memory-memento's apart", the costs involved in shipping items (I saw £4.000 plus quoted?) has only amounted to being marginally different from buying new or second hand and of course with "valid warranties". Perhaps we were just unlucky but on the occasion we did ship we had bad luck; for one reason or another electrical goods went wrong and of course no one wanted to know about warranties from UK, consequently we were stuck with useless items. It may have been because we were in tropical climes' but quite honestly, no matter how much we justified it to ourselves, the furniture from the UK was totally unsuitable for our surroundings. With open minds, perhaps when we do visit to check things out in NZ. we will find differently..Are furnishings and electronic goods that expensive by comparison to the UK?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

We leave next month and called some shippers today.

GB Liners from Manchester (tel 01432 272274), very helpful and friendly, coming over on Thursday.
PSS didnt want to know as we are not shipping a "Full House". Wanted us to size everything.
John masons (tel 0151 449 3938) are calling us back

I have looked on the net for Crown but only find a poor looking website called Crown promotions and removals. Is this them, doesnt look like the company everyone describes as being good. Ok I know a website isnt necessary reflective of the company, infact the oppoiste can be true, which I have found when booking a hotel. Can anyone send me the phone number or weblink for crown.

I think I have covered everyone now, unless you can recommend another company.

Our friends used GB Liners and had a great experiance.

7 weeks to go!!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pastor Flaps
We leave next month and called some shippers today.

GB Liners from Manchester (tel 01432 272274), very helpful and friendly, coming over on Thursday.
PSS didnt want to know as we are not shipping a "Full House". Wanted us to size everything.
John masons (tel 0151 449 3938) are calling us back

I have looked on the net for Crown but only find a poor looking website called Crown promotions and removals. Is this them, doesnt look like the company everyone describes as being good. Ok I know a website isnt necessary reflective of the company, infact the oppoiste can be true, which I have found when booking a hotel. Can anyone send me the phone number or weblink for crown.

I think I have covered everyone now, unless you can recommend another company.

Our friends used GB Liners and had a great experiance.

7 weeks to go!!!
I asked around last week because I was looking at storage and shipping.
'Overs' of Guildford/Aldershot- local for me gave me a rough quote:
20ft container £3500
40ft " £5000

Crown Tel No: 0800 169 5477

John Mason will come and see the stuff- do a survey before giving a price.
Same goes for Robinsons.
HTH
helinuk
Old Aug 7th 2006, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Liverpool-Wellington,door to door-unsure of size of crate,£2900. This does not include transportation of jaffa cakes-this is separate.(Sorry-feel silly)
Old Aug 7th 2006, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We move at the beginning of October and have settled on John Mason to ship our stuff.

We plan to fill a 20ft container at cost of under £4k which is very good when you actually sit down and think about it. We are completing the insurance form and so far have got to a replacement value of over £26k (and we don't have mega expensive stuff!!) - if we were to sell it here we would get peanuts as no-one wants to have secondhand goods, then we'd have to fork out thousands in NZ for furniture etc. Apart from that at least the children will have all their fafamiliartuff once the container arrives.

We did get quotes from PSS and PiPickford's one was very expensive and the guy was pushy and the other didn't have good insurance (if your sad enough as me to read all the small print!).

Have been impressed so far with the help from John Mason so far (as we are moving from a farm and NZ customs very hot on things being clean!!), hopefully the move will go just as well.

Judy
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Hi,

We move at the beginning of October and have settled on John Mason to ship our stuff.

We plan to fill a 20ft container at cost of under £4k which is very good when you actually sit down and think about it. We are completing the insurance form and so far have got to a replacement value of over £26k (and we don't have mega expensive stuff!!) - if we were to sell it here we would get peanuts as no-one wants to have secondhand goods, then we'd have to fork out thousands in NZ for furniture etc. Apart from that at least the children will have all their fafamiliartuff once the container arrives.

We did get quotes from PSS and PiPickford's one was very expensive and the guy was pushy and the other didn't have good insurance (if your sad enough as me to read all the small print!).

Have been impressed so far with the help from John Mason so far (as we are moving from a farm and NZ customs very hot on things being clean!!), hopefully the move will go just as well.

Judy
We are using Brittania who have quoted us £2920 to ship 2 sofas,2 bookcases, 1 cabin bed, 2 single, 1 double bed, 3 bikes, bedside tables, bedding, kitchen equipment, mirrors, pictures, hundreds of books and cds / dvds, golf clubs, glassware and china, garden furniture, clothing and general bits and bobs. This includes 3 months storage, packing, delivery, unpacking and insurance at 4%. They threw in our move to rented accomodation in Liverpool for nothing (our house sold quicker than we thought!) which was more furniture than the above. They lso delivered loads of boxes for our local move. We are impressed so far but haven't made the big move yet!

Mrs danny