Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping cats out to NZ (From UK) costs.....

Shipping cats out to NZ (From UK) costs.....

Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Shipping cats out to NZ (From UK) costs.....

Hi all,

Well, since I am waiting on my EoI to be checked etc. I decided to get some other jobs done. One of them was to get quotes from firms for getting my boys out to NZ.

I was wondering about costs though. Jets 4 Pets quoted £800 a cat so £1600 total, but airpets was £2450!!

Just wondering what prices other people from the UK have paid, what the average price was and with who they got their cats shipped with.

Thanks, Gizzy.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:31 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping cats out to NZ (From UK) costs.....

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
Hi all,

Well, since I am waiting on my EoI to be checked etc. I decided to get some other jobs done. One of them was to get quotes from firms for getting my boys out to NZ.

I was wondering about costs though. Jets 4 Pets quoted £800 a cat so £1600 total, but airpets was £2450!!

Just wondering what prices other people from the UK have paid, what the average price was and with who they got their cats shipped with.

Thanks, Gizzy.
Can't help you with the prices as I didn't have any animals to bring over but plenty of others on here have, so hopefully they'll come along and give you some advice

Just wanted to say that it's great that you've decided to bring the little furry beasties over [after reading your thread about whether you should!]
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:53 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly three years ago we paid about a grand a cat, but that included them kenneling them for a month and doing the poo samples for vet checks, putting them on a plane to follow us etc while we flew over before them and found a place to live.
That was Airpets, great service and very adaptable.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

hazeandsteve, Was that the airpets full service? Kenelling for 60 days, jabs, tests etc etc. Everything but micro-chipping? I think that is what I was quoted for which may explain the price difference!

The Jets 4 pets was just the flight and paperwork. The rest I had to do through the vets myself.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

hazeandsteve, Was that the airpets full service? Kenelling for 60 days, jabs, tests etc etc. Everything but micro-chipping? I think that is what I was quoted for which may explain the price difference!

The Jets 4 pets was just the flight and paperwork. The rest I had to do through the vets myself.
Hi Gizmo - just wanted to say good luck with your cats!

We decided to try and rehome ours and thankfully found somewhere - they are going to my uncle and aunt, who already have 4 but at least i know they'll know how to look after them! Mine are both quite elderly (13 and 10) so decided to leave them - they go to their new home on the 29th December
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Thanks, Gizzy.
hi three years ago we took our two cats ,with airpets and cost both cats £700 we took cats to vet as it had to be done over a month, droped them at airpets on the way to the airport they came with us in the taxi, they kept them over night and put on flight 24 hours later, and we were there waiting two collect from auckland
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cadibel
We decided to try and rehome ours and thankfully found somewhere
I don't mind re-homing my boys so much, but I adopted them from the RSPCA and I have to take them back there if I give them up for any reason I have a neighbour who loves them (They just go round there all the time! lol) and I would happily give them to her but RSPCA will not allow it

Besides, I love the little tykes!

I will need my boys homed for a month, maybe two before they join me as I would need to get settled myself before I bring them. I wouldn't want them stressed by being on the travel with me before i find a place in NZ so that may inflate the price a bit, but still..... £1600 vs £2400! Bit of a shock! lol
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

chrisclarke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We have just shipped two cats (left yesterday on NZ1 and arrived earlier today). We used Ladyhaye (who were the cheapest of several quotes). They charged £1,100 for the two to share a container.

Ladyhaye sent us the DEFRA paperwork and we used our vets to do the tests and complete the paperwork, then we took them to the Quarrantine centre at H'row 4 hours before the flight where Ladyhaye met us to collect the cats and the paperwork.

Basically you need hookworm tests for each cat, at least 14 days apart which need to be sent to the govt labs at Weybridge. This involves collecting a stool sample, taking to the vet who sends it away to Weybridge and then waiting for the results (4-6 days although you can arrange for Weybridge to send recorded delivery - you need the original test certificates not copies). If the first is positive you'll need treatment then two further clear tests 14 days apart. Hookworm is rare in cats though unless they've been around sheep a lot. You also need fleeing and worming. Our vets bill came to just under £300.

The vet completes the DEFRA paperwork and attaches original certificates which must be done no earlier than 96 hours before the flight. Some companies will collect the cats early and have their vet do the checks but the quotes for this were considerably more expensive than doing it with our vet, and you have to pay boarding charges while they're away.

Ladyhaye were very helpful on the phone, sent the DEFRA paperwork and a guide to the vet, and booked the flight. When we met them at Heathrow we just handed the cats over who were put into a specially made container along with the paperwork, and they took them into the animal reception centre at Heathrow to have them vet checked and the container sealed.

So in total for us, £1,100 plus £300 for two cats. We're moving to Rolleston but not flying till late Jan and we found a cattery nr Lincoln who are collecting from C'ch and boarding them until we arrive (at a much better rate than a UK cattery...).

Feel free to contact directly if you want more info or I can be of any help!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:16 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

hazeandsteve, Was that the airpets full service? Kenelling for 60 days, jabs, tests etc etc.
It was, and the kenneling was only a month.
We had them chipped and jabs up to date, it just took a load off our minds that they were sorted while we were packing a house up and all the other distractions of emigrating.
You may pay more, but their service was faultless.
The price also included them coming over on a ferry to the Isle of Wight and taking them to the cattery.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:24 pm
HAPPY AS...

OOOooopppsss! Turns out it was Airsupply. Sister in law is looking at them for her dog, so we just looked at the paperwork.