Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

shipping cat to new zealand - moved to main forum

shipping cat to new zealand - moved to main forum

Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

NIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the rough
Default shipping cat to new zealand - moved to main forum

hi all

i am getting very confused as to what tests etc i need the vet to do to allow me to ship my cat over..... any ideas? i have looked at the DEFRA website but that is confusing aswell!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: shipping cat to new zealand

Yes. I brought my two wonderful , lovely cats with me & they are having such a wonderful life here. They arrived before me by six weeks and landed the day after my husband.

Contact one of the air exporters like Golden Arrow or Airpets for a quote on exporting your cat to NZ. There are others you can choose from but those are two to start with. They will give you a quote and all of these companies are happy to go through the process with you step by step.

One certain thing you should have done is a microchip. You can have that re-registered once you arrive here. Another thing that will need doing is an extra tablet down the cats gullet for hook worm.

Contact one of the pet exporters and they will talk you through it all , step by step .
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping cat to new zealand - moved to main forum

it looks confusing but its easy really. as bevs said the exporters will talk yoou through it, we was given a plan of what to do & when & our vet was great to & was registered with derfra anyway.
we used passport for pets http://www.passportforpets.co.uk/, based nr heathrow, cat was collected by a wellington vet from welly airport & put in the cattery at teh vets while we found a house to rent.
good luck
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:04 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We used Golden Arrow and as mentioned above they handle everything for you and the process is straightforward.

No quarantine at this end so you can collect them from the airport yourself if you want. We did just that.

Our two cats had no ill effects from the journey and are loving their new home.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:49 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Like Rob, we used Golden Arrow.
They give you detailed instructions of the timings of when things have to be done. The most difficult bit for us was getting 2 outdoor cats to poo in an indoor litter tray to get the samples to the vet on time.
Ours also arrived safe and sound and one was blooming ancient ( and is still going strong)
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

NIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the roughNIKKI SNELL is a jewel in the rough

thanks heaps to all replies !

very helpful!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

benandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the roughbenandlea is a jewel in the rough

Can I ask, how much on average is it costing in uk ££ to get a cat to NZ?

Lea
x
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:15 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We paid about 700 quid per cat including 2 weeks board before the flight.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

My shipping company weren't particularly helpful (Airpets in Manchester), but I found my vet was EXTREMELY helpful and did all the tests in the right order with the right time frame for the flight.

I shipped three cats in 2003 and paid £1200 for all three including crates. There was a bit of a shock at the airport when MAF informed me there'd be more charges ($100 or so) to have them released to me. All three arrived wide eyed, but soon settled and are enjoying life here.

If you're concerned about your cat's anxiety levels, ask for the crate in advance. Then you can use it as your cat's bed before the flight and the theory goes that the cat won't panic when they're shipped in it. You can also get a product called Feliway which are happy cat hormones to spray on their bedding.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

kayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dlmckay
My shipping company weren't particularly helpful (Airpets in Manchester), but I found my vet was EXTREMELY helpful and did all the tests in the right order with the right time frame for the flight.

I shipped three cats in 2003 and paid £1200 for all three including crates. There was a bit of a shock at the airport when MAF informed me there'd be more charges ($100 or so) to have them released to me. All three arrived wide eyed, but soon settled and are enjoying life here.

If you're concerned about your cat's anxiety levels, ask for the crate in advance. Then you can use it as your cat's bed before the flight and the theory goes that the cat won't panic when they're shipped in it. You can also get a product called Feliway which are happy cat hormones to spray on their bedding.
Hi guys, all the above very useful will be shipping our pet dog over, anybody done this with prices etc? will get quotes now from golden arrow and petpassport, had a quote from petair which seemed very expensive £1,700 and animal airlines £1,400. Big difference! Don't get me wrong don't want to go for the cheapest but the most recommended, shes worth it, but feel I need to do a little more investigating first.

Thank god I found this forum! Getting great help about a load of different topics which is making my move so much easier!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kayos
Hi guys, all the above very useful will be shipping our pet dog over, anybody done this with prices etc? will get quotes now from golden arrow and petpassport, had a quote from petair which seemed very expensive £1,700 and animal airlines £1,400. Big difference! Don't get me wrong don't want to go for the cheapest but the most recommended, shes worth it, but feel I need to do a little more investigating first.

Thank god I found this forum! Getting great help about a load of different topics which is making my move so much easier!
I used [email protected] to fly over my 2 labrador dogs and one cat in 2005 costing around £4,500. I have to say I shipped them back to the UK in 2007, sadly the 2 dogs passed away in 2007. I have just had another quote from the same company as they did a great service last time, £5.500 to ship over a st bernard, a newfoundland and our cat (poor thing, he travels all over the world). I have had another quote from another UK company asking for £8,500 to ship over my tribe. So shop around
tel : 00 44 (0) 1483 200123
mob : 00 44 (0) 7736 251800
fax : 00 44 (0) 1483 200134

The vets have also quoted £100 per animal for the tests for the pet passport but i must say this sounds very small as it cost me nearly £1,000 for the 2 dogs in 2005. Hope this helps
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

kayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
I used [email protected] to fly over my 2 labrador dogs and one cat in 2005 costing around £4,500. I have to say I shipped them back to the UK in 2007, sadly the 2 dogs passed away in 2007. I have just had another quote from the same company as they did a great service last time, £5.500 to ship over a st bernard, a newfoundland and our cat (poor thing, he travels all over the world). I have had another quote from another UK company asking for £8,500 to ship over my tribe. So shop around
tel : 00 44 (0) 1483 200123
mob : 00 44 (0) 7736 251800
fax : 00 44 (0) 1483 200134

The vets have also quoted £100 per animal for the tests for the pet passport but i must say this sounds very small as it cost me nearly £1,000 for the 2 dogs in 2005. Hope this helps
Cheers, Heavenlyscent, I'll give them a shout and let you know how I get on!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kayos
Cheers, Heavenlyscent, I'll give them a shout and let you know how I get on!
It will be nice to know how you get on, good luck
Anne-Marie