Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping cars to Nz

Shipping cars to Nz

Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping cars to Nz

Hi, I am presently trying to ship an old TR6 to NZ. I have found the car and just want to get a ball park figure of the costs once it has landed. The shipping will be about $2800ish NZ. Marine ins about $500nz and then there is all the landing customs stuff and Land Transport stuff.

Does any one have any idea exactly what a 35 year old car will need in the way of supporting paper work, certification before it is allowed into NZ. There is talk of EU cert this and petrol consumption that... do old cars like this even need all this stuff.

Also as I have not owned this vehicle in the UK one assumes I will not be allowed to claim the depreciation aspect on the GST charges??

Is there a list of cars that are allowed into NZ that do not need frontal impact certs etc? Thank you in anticipation of any replies.

Last edited by Genesis; Jun 14th 2011 at 9:56 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping cars to Nz

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi, I am presently trying to ship an old TR6 to NZ. I have found the car and just want to get a ball park figure of the costs once it has landed. The shipping will be about $2800ish NZ. Marine ins about $500nz and then there is all the landing customs stuff and Land Transport stuff.

Does any one have any idea exactly what a 35 year old car will need in the way of supporting paper work, certification before it is allowed into NZ. There is talk of EU cert this and petrol consumption that... do old cars like this even need all this stuff.

Also as I have not owned this vehicle in the UK one assumes I will not be allowed to claim the depreciation aspect on the GST charges??

Is there a list of cars that are allowed into NZ that do not need frontal impact certs etc? Thank you in anticipation of any replies.
Hi

Yep you are right on the not owning the vehicle, managed to find a link for you that might help
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/index.html

Im assuming its from the UK
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/impo...wo/europe.html

you might find something here too

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684701

Good luck

Last edited by alanmacc; Jun 14th 2011 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
Hi

Yep you are right on the not owning the vehicle, managed to find a link for you that might help
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/index.html

Im assuming its from the UK
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/impo...wo/europe.html

you might find something here too

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684701

Good luck
Thank you!!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:56 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Yep did it with ours last year. Cost around $800 with 12mths rego, WoF and the compliance charges. Any work required is extra to that... Oh and owning it for 12mths also gets you a let out on the emissions, not sure how that applies to a car as old as yours though.

Talk to a compliance (not just a WoF centre) centre (I used Northshore Compliance in Glenfield), to double-check what you need before you ship, no sense in importing something that can be complianced and driven on the road...

Last edited by simonsi; Jun 15th 2011 at 2:02 am.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Nice one Genesis,
Just a bit amazed that you are doing this as you know these cars aren't cheap over here. I'm into 60's mini coopers myself but have owned some old tvr's and had a mate with an 150bhp Tr6 a while ago and I know a bit about them.
If the car's in the NW I could have a gander for you ?
I remember seeing a Sunbeam Tiger when I was in Auckland,it certainly turned some heads !!
Best of luck and enjoy
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Droidling
Nice one Genesis,
Just a bit amazed that you are doing this as you know these cars aren't cheap over here. I'm into 60's mini coopers myself but have owned some old tvr's and had a mate with an 150bhp Tr6 a while ago and I know a bit about them.
If the car's in the NW I could have a gander for you ?
I remember seeing a Sunbeam Tiger when I was in Auckland,it certainly turned some heads !!
Best of luck and enjoy
They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper in the UK than NZ. You have a huge amount of choice too. Thanks for the offer on having a look, the one I like is on pistonheads, for sale via a dealer in Glocs. Landed it should be in the region of 11kish GBPs. You don't get much here for $22k NZ. Still not sure if I will do it as the alternative is buying an S2000 for Kate (sell her small town car) for her to use as an every day car and me having it when I am a good boy. That way we would only have 2 cars rather than 3 and would give me access to a convertible 'nutter bastard' car as Jeremy Clarkson coined it.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper in the UK than NZ. You have a huge amount of choice too. Thanks for the offer on having a look, the one I like is on pistonheads, for sale via a dealer in Glocs. Landed it should be in the region of 11kish GBPs. You don't get much here for $22k NZ. Still not sure if I will do it as the alternative is buying an S2000 for Kate (sell her small town car) for her to use as an every day car and me having it when I am a good boy. That way we would only have 2 cars rather than 3 and would give me access to a convertible 'nutter bastard' car as Jeremy Clarkson coined it.
have you tried
http://www.nzclassiccar.com/carsforsale.html

http://www.triumphclub.co.nz/?page_id=164

http://www.sella.co.nz/motoring/cars/mg/82dqpy/
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I have found out today that NO paper work is need regarding fuel consumption or frontal impact etc etc for a car over 20 years old. What is important however is rust. There must be NO rust..either structurally or bodily apparently.....VINZ made that quite clear, also that repairs done at point of entry make it uneconomical to bring anything in BUT a rust free car. So it has to be all steel!! The only paper work you need is proof that the car was registered from whence it came and that you are the owner/new owner (receipt of purchase from garage if the latter applies).
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:28 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/owning-...o-new-zealand/ - I spoke to these guys last year .. vey helpfull, looking at bringing an BMW E30 convertable over.. as you say ... loooaaddsssss cheaper than buying over here
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Well I have found out today that NO paper work is need regarding fuel consumption or frontal impact etc etc for a car over 20 years old. What is important however is rust. There must be NO rust..either structurally or bodily apparently.....VINZ made that quite clear, also that repairs done at point of entry make it uneconomical to bring anything in BUT a rust free car. So it has to be all steel!! The only paper work you need is proof that the car was registered from whence it came and that you are the owner/new owner (receipt of purchase from garage if the latter applies).
Well i think that rules out the car you were thinking of then :-

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2917616.htm

That's a nice original one but there's no way the underside will be completely rust free. 37 English winters and it's only had two front wings replaced. You probably need to find one that's had the 'full hit' where the chassis is as clean as the body (and pay accordingly !).
Was quite surprised at the values of TR6's though,a lot of car for your wonga.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Droidling
Well i think that rules out the car you were thinking of then :-

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2917616.htm

That's a nice original one but there's no way the underside will be completely rust free. 37 English winters and it's only had two front wings replaced. You probably need to find one that's had the 'full hit' where the chassis is as clean as the body (and pay accordingly !).
Was quite surprised at the values of TR6's though,a lot of car for your wonga.
Yes indeed. I sent an e mail to the chap earlier saying just that. However if I was in the UK I would snap that up. Even at 15k GBP they represent very good value..way nicer than an e type, a third of the price and cheap to run.