Shipping bikes

Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

NLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really nice
Default Shipping bikes

Hello!

Could anyone please give me any info or assistance on shipping motocross bikes into NZ?

I know anything involved with dirt or mud is high on the priority list. Our family have 4 mx bikes - we all love motocross with a passion! We all ride hubby, me and two sons 9 and 6.

The bikes will be cleansed thoroughly, fully drained of oil + petrol and the spark plugs removed. The same goes with our mountain and bmx bikes - cleaned thoroughly.

Do you think there will be a problem with bringing them into the country?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by NLSE; Apr 30th 2007 at 5:32 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping bikes

Originally Posted by NLSE
Hello!

Could anyone please give me any info or assistance on shipping motocross bikes into NZ?

I know anything involved with dirt or mud is high on the priority list. Our family have 4 mx bikes - we all love motocross with a passion! We all ride hubby, me and two sons 9 and 6.

The bikes will be cleansed thoroughly, fully drained of oil + petrol and the spark plugs removed. The same goes with our mountain and bmx bikes - cleaned thoroughly.

Many thanks in advance!

Cleaning is the key. They don't like dirt or rust. You can go to the MAF website in New Zealand to get details or check some of the threads here.

I sold my motorbike (can upgrade now!!)

They get inspected on arrival and they might charge you for cleaning. I'm sure others here will have had experience of the process.

Cheers

Dave
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

NLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really niceNLSE is just really nice

Originally Posted by dash1965
Cleaning is the key. They don't like dirt or rust. You can go to the MAF website in New Zealand to get details or check some of the threads here.

I sold my motorbike (can upgrade now!!)

They get inspected on arrival and they might charge you for cleaning. I'm sure others here will have had experience of the process.

Cheers

Dave
Cheers for help Dave! I've clicked on that karma thingy for you! (Sorry, still new to all this).
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

Cheers for help Dave! I've clicked on that karma thingy for you! (Sorry, still new to all this).
No dramas...

Ask away with anything. You'll find people here only too happy to help. We've all been through it. We move over on PR visas in June. I have had loads of help from people here. Especially in the early days.

Good luck

Dave
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Many thanks in advance!
Hi,
My father in laws bike was in the container and a day away from being shipped when he was told not only did he need the log book for it ( which he had ) but also the original recipt. No chance there so bike could'nt come.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

Besides cleaning and having the log book and receipt what else did everyone do to their bikes?

Do they need draining of oil and petrol etc?

any thing else to prep the bike for shipping?

i think someone said to get a full services ASAP once it gets to NZ.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Can only speak for bicycles....

I brought 2 road racing bikes over 2 years ago. Strictly speaking, the MAF will inspect the bikes on arrival and insist on evidence of them having been steam cleaned. The reality in my case was that despite being fully declared, no one checked.... I did however ensure they were SPOTLESS before packing them off.

I would suggest at the very least you throw away;
- the tyres and tubes
- all brake Pads
- all brake and gear cables/outers
and fit new ones on arrival in NZ - buy new ones in the UK and ship them over in their original packaging before being fitted (dont buy them in NZ - bike tyres are nearly 3x the UK cost - after taking the exchange rate into account).

hth
Old May 1st 2007, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Yorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant future

Hello!

Many thanks in advance!
Ahhh!!!! motorcross!!! the memories, Hawkstone park, Lyng etc/ the smell of fuel, Nunny and Mackenzie going toe to toe!!! Happy days!! I still think about my RM125!!! Sunday riding at armthorpe/ cleaning air filters/ jet washing!!!
Heaven
Old May 1st 2007, 5:26 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
Can only speak for bicycles....

I brought 2 road racing bikes over 2 years ago. Strictly speaking, the MAF will inspect the bikes on arrival and insist on evidence of them having been steam cleaned. The reality in my case was that despite being fully declared, no one checked.... I did however ensure they were SPOTLESS before packing them off.

I would suggest at the very least you throw away;
- the tyres and tubes
- all brake Pads
- all brake and gear cables/outers
and fit new ones on arrival in NZ - buy new ones in the UK and ship them over in their original packaging before being fitted (dont buy them in NZ - bike tyres are nearly 3x the UK cost - after taking the exchange rate into account).

hth
Hey, thanks for the info. I want to bring over my twenty-five-year-old road bike that my brother had been storing in his shed for the past twenty years. When I got here I cleaned off the cobwebs, pumped up the tyres and took it out for a spin and it rode great. It needs a new saddle, but overall everything else is in surprisingly good order. Okay, it has got a few gay pink and orange florescent stickers on the white frame, but I bought the bike in the eighties and the colour scheme was considered hip back then.
Old May 3rd 2007, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yorksha
Ahhh!!!! motorcross!!! the memories, Hawkstone park, Lyng etc/ the smell of fuel, Nunny and Mackenzie going toe to toe!!! Happy days!! I still think about my RM125!!! Sunday riding at armthorpe/ cleaning air filters/ jet washing!!!
Heaven

Heaven indeed! I'm going to miss it. Although I'm looking forward to some NZ mx!

Thanks to all who posted.
Attached Thumbnails Shipping bikes-searle-500.jpg