Reload this Page >

Shipping belongings over

Shipping belongings over

Old Dec 22nd 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

BenP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping belongings over

Hello

We are currently looking into shipping over our belongings, just wondering if they are fussy about wooden items being imported eg furniture like. They are in oz?

Any advice as in some things being more hassle than there worth?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:17 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping belongings over

The import of wood is a World wide problem. Processed materials, laminates, furniture are pre treated. Raw timber un processed used as packing material in another issue altogether, check out the NZ MAF site. Plants, seeds, honey, fruit etc are no go. Wicker basket items are iffy.
Packing wood has to carry the appropriate International treatment certs.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 5:52 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenP
Hello

We are currently looking into shipping over our belongings, just wondering if they are fussy about wooden items being imported eg furniture like. They are in oz?

Any advice as in some things being more hassle than there worth?

Thanks in advance
Check the NZ Customs website, lots of info there on wood standards. You can even have issues with temp wooden crates made to protect e.g. pianos inside the container....has to have the right stamps etc....
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore almost everything you hear about what you cant bring, if its dodgy MAF
will simply charge you a few hundred bucks to clean itens and fumigate the container then you can have your stuff
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

moonspinning is just really nicemoonspinning is just really nicemoonspinning is just really nicemoonspinning is just really nicemoonspinning is just really nicemoonspinning is just really nicemoonspinning is just really nicemoonspinning is just really nice

we have been advised to leave behind all our wicker baskets, a wooden 'rainstick' and seashells and to think seriously about not bringing the vacuum cleaner unless it is spotlessly clean inside and out (which frankly sounds nuts - how on earth do you clean the inside of a (non-dyson) vacuum cleaner)!
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:26 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonspinning
we have been advised to leave behind all our wicker baskets, a wooden 'rainstick' and seashells and to think seriously about not bringing the vacuum cleaner unless it is spotlessly clean inside and out (which frankly sounds nuts - how on earth do you clean the inside of a (non-dyson) vacuum cleaner)!
That is typical shippers nonsense.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the tips, not really bringing any untreated wood only proper furniture so should be ok, have been told to get the car steam cleaned before we send that as well.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:56 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you need to clean anything that has been in contact with the outside, bikes, children's garden toys, DIY tools, anything from a shed etc.

We had the car steamed clean inside and out yesterday, took the guy a good 4 hours, he is also coming back to do do a quick jet wash again on the outside the day it goes into the container. We also took lots of photo's of the process and will leave them in the car.
Also got contacted today by the shippers that the requirement for some petrol to be left in the car has been changed and you now have to have an empty petrol tank.

Our shippers are going to bring along some cleaning fluids just in case the cleaning we have done isn't exactly up to required standard, but hoping that the fact that my hands resemble something that has crawled out of a swamp I've done a good enough job.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 9:03 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
you need to clean anything that has been in contact with the outside, bikes, children's garden toys, DIY tools, anything from a shed etc.

We had the car steamed clean inside and out yesterday, took the guy a good 4 hours, he is also coming back to do do a quick jet wash again on the outside the day it goes into the container. We also took lots of photo's of the process and will leave them in the car.
Also got contacted today by the shippers that the requirement for some petrol to be left in the car has been changed and you now have to have an empty petrol tank.

Our shippers are going to bring along some cleaning fluids just in case the cleaning we have done isn't exactly up to required standard, but hoping that the fact that my hands resemble something that has crawled out of a swamp I've done a good enough job.
Steam clean is now mandatory on arrival for vehicles anyway so it'll get done again. We just put ours in as-is, paid the mandatory cleaning fee this end and all was good MAF-wise....
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 9:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Steam clean is now mandatory on arrival for vehicles anyway so it'll get done again. We just put ours in as-is, paid the mandatory cleaning fee this end and all was good MAF-wise....
When did that come in to force? as doesn't say anything about that on immigration.govt.nz that I can find.
Will be rather miffed if I've paid out £150 for a steam clean here then have to pay for another one there on top on the entry certificate.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Well I'm pretty sure I'm putting my car in the container with my belongings, works out far cheaper this way.

£1400 for a 20ft container

£1400 for a car

Or...

£2200 for a 40ft container
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 10:41 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
When did that come in to force? as doesn't say anything about that on immigration.govt.nz that I can find.
Will be rather miffed if I've paid out £150 for a steam clean here then have to pay for another one there on top on the entry certificate.
They just do it on all vehicles whatever the website says so effectively mandatory
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 10:43 pm
It is what it is Member

Well I'm pretty sure I'm putting my car in the container with my belongings, works out far cheaper this way.

£1400 for a 20ft container

£1400 for a car

Or...

£2200 for a 40ft container
You won't get much else in the container, you'll have to have a platform above the car to use the space above and you can't put anything in the car.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Should be plenty of room in a 40ft container car is not even 20ft long.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

Should be plenty of room in a 40ft container car is not even 20ft long.
I came over in August and my household stuff arrived in October. I had a lot of Shooting, Sea Fishing and Field sports kit. All of this was washed, disinfected and packed in bags as per MAF advice. At NZ MAF Inspection they looked at my terminal kit for Fishing ( Swivels, trace, hooks, weights, lures and soft baits. with no rust and no dried weed/fish bits. 2 items were picked up, full bag in vaccum cleaner ( last job before leaving house) and grass seed in velcro. Both items were accepted for entry, the bag went into a bio-security bin and the grass seeds were burnt out of the velcro with a cigarette lighter.
hope this is useful,
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.