Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping advice please

Shipping advice please

Old Jun 21st 2005, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping advice please

right then you lovely advice givers - knowledge holders of all things immigration.

we are at the practicalities stage :scared: (getting a bit of cold feet syndrome but coping!!)

any advice regarding shipping - recommendations of who to use, questions to ask, things to consider etc etc. Also any guidance as to costs - we've got a four bed house to move!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:20 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping advice please

Originally Posted by Joshlin
right then you lovely advice givers - knowledge holders of all things immigration.

we are at the practicalities stage :scared: (getting a bit of cold feet syndrome but coping!!)

any advice regarding shipping - recommendations of who to use, questions to ask, things to consider etc etc. Also any guidance as to costs - we've got a four bed house to move!
My friend has just emigrated to OZ on friday and used Crown Relocations - very impressed with the service and the price and recommended them to me - I think there is a link to them in the "Really Useful Thread" - think they paid £3300 for a full container....good luck and get some warm socks for those "cold feet"!!

Edit: here's the link for you www.crownrelo.com

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jun 21st 2005 at 8:12 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:29 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Any advice on what electricals to take? All our white goods are in pretty good nick, but will they work over there with adapters?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
My friend has just emigrated to OZ on friday and used Crown Relocations - very impressed with the service and the price and recommended them to me - I think there is a link to them in the "Really Useful Thread" - think they paid £3300 for a full container....good luck and get some warm socks for those "cold feet"!!

Edit: here's the link for you www.crownrelo.com
Many thanks Pinkie- had the Crown rep in today. Told us we had loads of stuff!! Should have their quote by the weekend :scared
Was impressed with the rep though, hope we can say the same when the quote hits the mat.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Any advice on what electricals to take? All our white goods are in pretty good nick, but will they work over there with adapters?
The advice we've gathered - it's expensive to buy white goods (import issues etc etc) so as long as they take 230/240v and 50hz (which most UK stuff does) then it will be OK to just change the plugs when you get there. mixed messages re: price of plugs. Other advice was to take UK extension gangs and just change the plug on the extension gang - but this might generate an insurance issue if (heaven forbid) you need to make a claim.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:06 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Pinkie- had the Crown rep in today. Told us we had loads of stuff!! Should have their quote by the weekend :scared
Was impressed with the rep though, hope we can say the same when the quote hits the mat.
Fingers crossed for you then Will you let me know what they quote you as we will be moving the contents of a four bed house too so would be good to compare!! My mate was well impressed with the Crown Rep and the guys on the day were excellent.....
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fingers crossed for you then Will you let me know what they quote you as we will be moving the contents of a four bed house too so would be good to compare!! My mate was well impressed with the Crown Rep and the guys on the day were excellent.....

Will do - we've got John Mason coming in tomorrow and then waiting on visits from Pickfords International and PSS
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:12 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

We originally thought we'd just take the 'keepsake' stuff, and then books, CDs, good bedding etc and then buy new when we got there, but have started to realise that a lot of our stuff is pretty good so don't want to lose it. However, we've certainly not got enough for a 20ft container, we won't be taking bedroom furniture other than one double bed (wooden, could flat pack), and may leave the white goods in with the house sale. Is there an in-between shipping from a few cubic metres to a 20ft container or is it generally one or the other?
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

jjennings will become famous soon enough

We sold or gave away all our beds, white goods, etc. but now wish we had brought it with us, even if it added a grand to shipping cost. White goods are very expensive here (relative to salaries) and even after 8 months, using a top-loading washing machine (very few front-loaders around) feels like going back to the dark ages.

It's just a case of changing the plugs. Bring some socket strips over for things like little black power adaptors that seem to come with everything these days (phone chargers etc.). Also bring any phones with you as NZ uses standard BT sockets.

Still love it here though.

Cheers

John
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jjennings
We sold or gave away all our beds, white goods, etc. but now wish we had brought it with us, even if it added a grand to shipping cost. White goods are very expensive here (relative to salaries) and even after 8 months, using a top-loading washing machine (very few front-loaders around) feels like going back to the dark ages.

It's just a case of changing the plugs. Bring some socket strips over for things like little black power adaptors that seem to come with everything these days (phone chargers etc.). Also bring any phones with you as NZ uses standard BT sockets.

Still love it here though.

Cheers

John
I love my toploader. Bought our front loader with us and ditched it for an 8kg toploader - they are actually a much much quicker cycle than a front loader and save water if used properly. Mine's even got a mini electronic screen with a smiley face that says 'Hello' to me!! You can also buy the adaptors (black boxy things) to suit NZ sockets in Dick Smiths and Harvey Norman to fit most things like phones and Gameboys etc. Hope this helps?? Whiteware is fairly expensive but not horrendous?? Nearly all electrical goods work with the plug changed or an adaptor plug. TV's only work with SKY run through them though and Video recorders won't record from NZ TV - but will play videos just fine. I'd say bring what you can with you - saves re-buying and you can always sell it on - NZ hasa great 2nd hand market thing going on everywhere - the famous 'Garage Sale' at weekends, so you cna always sell stuff on again - and it will be something different than canbe found in the shops here
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

We used Crown - they were absolutley top class - not the cheapest quote, but excellent service and no problems whatsoever. Can't recommend them highly enough. When we came over here for a year we used another firm (Atlantis I think they were called?? - but don't quote me as may well be wrong) as they were the cheapest - and they were a nightmare, so thats why we took recommendations and went with CRown - they were FAB!!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

burmonk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We went the 'get a quote from everyone' route. Pickfords, etc, but settled on Caswell freight forwarding. A small company but very professional and knowledgeable. Again not the cheapest but we wanted someone who we did not have to keep checking up on. they ship to most countries. [email protected]. tel-01594 543399

good luck with the move
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:33 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

The advice we've gathered - it's expensive to buy white goods (import issues etc etc) so as long as they take 230/240v and 50hz (which most UK stuff does) then it will be OK to just change the plugs when you get there. mixed messages re: price of plugs. Other advice was to take UK extension gangs and just change the plug on the extension gang - but this might generate an insurance issue if (heaven forbid) you need to make a claim.
Plugs are $1.95 in the Warehouse (bought a few last week). Can be as much as $8.00 in the more expensive shops.

See:

For UK plug adapters -

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.fil...ogs/CTG0000029

For a range of plugs - cheapest $5.93 (about 2 pounds which has to be cheap):

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.fil...ogs/CTG0000536

If you bring your white goods, bear in mind that you probably won't be able to buy parts here - vacuum bags/belts/motors/compressors/seals etc.

Whitewear isn't expensive if you shop around, and most of it is technically superior to UK stuff. I mean that mainly from the servicing angle. For example, in the UK I had to service a couple of our washing machines (due to abject poverty at the time). The machines are complex, and all have gearboxes and lots of electronic bits. It took me two days to replace the drum seal in our Hoover washer. My NZ F&P washer has no gearbox, just one annular motor, one pump and a circuit board. It took me half an hour to strip it to a floor full of components, an hour to put it all back together again. There is a door on the front that allows you access to the pump, should you forget to empty your pockets and end up with a blocked pump inlet. Machine performance is comparable to Euro stuff, parts are cheap and workshop manuals are on the net (if you like to fix it yourself, as I do).

I posted somewhere about moving companies et al, if I can find it I'll do a cut'n'paste here.

Cheers!

SW

Last edited by kiwijetpilot; Jun 22nd 2005 at 8:43 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Servicing costs are much lower because the technicians hourly rate is much lower - as yours will be too.

We used Whites from Hampshire to Hawkes Bay and were very happy. About $3K including insurance. Just a broken glass lampshade.

Roger
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

JoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant future
Exclamation Re: Shipping advice please

Can I take my breadmaker? I've become very attached to it.
Waiting for the medicals, just had the x-rays. Hope I'm not too blobby for them

Joanna D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.