Shipping

Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

theRices is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping

Originally Posted by rick78

So thats it! I'll update this when I get final quotes etc.

At the moment this is the order I'd rate them:

Anglo Pacific
Pickfords
GB Liners
Crown
Robinsons

I think we'll deal with the first three in the first instance... see what sort of deals we can do!
Who did you have from Pickfords? We had Trevor Armstrong, was impressed until he started phoning asking had I had a look yet etc etc. Husband works away and only home at weekends so not had time to sit down until the other weekend.

I could probably got him to drop his price a bit too but he is too pushy... also they wanted to take 5 days to pack the house.... where as everyone else said 3 days...
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theRices
Husband has done some haggling......

We knew Anglo (original quote was £6489) was unlikely to be able to match Robinsons quote of £5575 but managed to knock Anglo's down to £5800 That will do... they use Maersk and have allocated slots on every vessel.
Hubby wanted Anglo, also they will collect beginning July and Robinsons end of June. A week makes a huge difference to me as I'm a childminder, I intend to work until kids break up on the 22nd of July out of a rather empty house.

Our quote is for a 40' high cube as we are taking everything out of our 4 bedroom house and our Ford Galaxy.

Sussie
Looking good

Only thing I would say is ask them to specify the shipping line used to cost the move in the written quote, as I mentioned in an earlier post all of the agents made a big thing about using Maersk during the survey but only Pearson's actually quoted Maersk. It also took a good deal of persistent questioning on my part to get them to divulge the information.

Also surprised Robinson's wanted to load in June when you're moving end of July, to be fair all of the agents I spoke to committed to packing and loading whenever required. We are now packing 13th and 14th July and loading/despatch on the 15th, we will head down to Heathrow on the afternoon of the 15th to stay in a hotel overnight....we don't want any overnight stays at parents, too emotional!!

I think Anglo are a good operator and nobody had a bad word to say about them when I spoke to a few people in the industry. Although when I spoke to Anglo when all the quotes were in they said they couldn't match the rates from Pearson's and they were quoting MSC.

Best of luck!!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

You should also request transit times "port to port", as far as I am aware MSC are quoting 55 days whilst Maersk are quoting 40 days. The last shipment/container I sent to NZ with MSC took 16 weeks!

Sorry if i'm going on but i've had far too many bad experiences with MSC, and before you ask no I don't work for a shipping line....I use them every day though!!

Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gazmfc
Looking good

Only thing I would say is ask them to specify the shipping line used to cost the move in the written quote, as I mentioned in an earlier post all of the agents made a big thing about using Maersk during the survey but only Pearson's actually quoted Maersk. It also took a good deal of persistent questioning on my part to get them to divulge the information.

Also surprised Robinson's wanted to load in June when you're moving end of July, to be fair all of the agents I spoke to committed to packing and loading whenever required. We are now packing 13th and 14th July and loading/despatch on the 15th, we will head down to Heathrow on the afternoon of the 15th to stay in a hotel overnight....we don't want any overnight stays at parents, too emotional!!

I think Anglo are a good operator and nobody had a bad word to say about them when I spoke to a few people in the industry. Although when I spoke to Anglo when all the quotes were in they said they couldn't match the rates from Pearson's and they were quoting MSC.

Best of luck!!
Thanks

We want our stuff to arrive no later than 9th of Sep, we anticipate to arrive around the 4th so we have had to work it out from then when it needs to be collected. We have got 7 days in hotel paid for by his new employer so we don't want to have to wait too long for container to be delivered.

We have to go to Sweden to sort our holiday home out, need to remove our personal belongings so we can either rent it out our put it on the market.

We are renting our house out here from 1st of Aug, hoping to leave UK last week of August so will have to spend the last week our two with the inlaws.

Will have the new quote in writing, hopefully tomorrow. Hubby asked if it was Maersk and he was told yes, so fingers cross that is the case (I think it did say Maersk in the original quote). I am sure it said 7-9 weeks door to door in original quote (not got it here at the moment).
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

You should also request transit times "port to port", as far as I am aware MSC are quoting 55 days whilst Maersk are quoting 40 days. The last shipment/container I sent to NZ with MSC took 16 weeks!

Sorry if i'm going on but i've had far too many bad experiences with MSC, and before you ask no I don't work for a shipping line....I use them every day though!!

well if you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have known so I am glad you did!!!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

One other thing everybody should be aware of is the Rugby World Cup in September, expect flights, hotels etc. to be far more expensive around this time!!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by theRices
I could probably got him to drop his price a bit too but he is too pushy... also they wanted to take 5 days to pack the house.... where as everyone else said 3 days...
I don't like pushy people...

I e-mailed others yesterday to say sorry... this time you were not the lucky one.

I had a phone call today from Pickfords asking why????

so I said:

Trevor keeps phoning asking have I had a look yet etc etc

the fact you are £700 more than our chosen one

the fact you take 5 days to pack and not 3 like everyone else

he then asked, is there nothing we can do to change your mind???

NOOOO is the answer
Old Feb 18th 2011, 11:44 am
Just Joined

selyah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I have moved to New Zealand TWICE, and come back TWICE, I have had lots of experience in shipping and the pitfalls.

Used Crown twice, very good, but expensive - just a tip have a look at the insurance policies, specifically what you are not covered for i.e. eventualities.

Had items stolen coming back via Crown and damaged going out.

Essentially all we were covered for was:
1). if the container is lost at sea though excluding Force Majeure (act of God), or act of war, so realistically unless they run into another vessel or sink due to boat related failures (not weather), no payout.

2). if they drop your container on the dock, anything else is covered by other insurances usually not to the level you specify or pay for in the contract (for us the lorry delivering our stuff was in a crash with a car and they used a motor insurance policy instead - (read the small print).

Used Robinsons the other times, they were great, just as good but 30% less expensive.

We always got robinsons to delivery the boxes and paper early so we could pack our own valuables - some will let you do this. However they do get twitchy about the possibility of you packing cleaning products, fluids, etc in case they are flammable - so essentially anything you have in the garage be it car shampoo to WD40.

The general rule of thumb I would give would be unless you REALLY need it, dont take it! Apart from the washing machine - Kiwi's favourite version is a top loader, they eat your clothes and dont rinse as well (my opinion).

The other thing is buy lots of mutlipack plug extensions, saves having to change all of the plugs straight away, especially for the computer, TV, garage etc.

On the cleaning front, we had Iodine sprays for garden stuff and mountain bikes, but the were still steamed by MAF and we had to pay for it, also anything containing or possibly containing bone, leather, animal skin etc - so they often will unpack and check ornament boxes (marked lounge or ornaments) at the dock - if found you have to pay for fumigation, not expensive just inconvenient.

As far a motorbikes go, they are expensive in NZ compared to what you will pay here, so worth taking it - give it a very good degrease and clean, but wouldn't bother with the steam clean cert - they will likely do it again as not good enough! As far as getting the Bike on the road, mostly all NZ regs are the same as UK, I have fitted out many bikes with after market parts purchased from ebay and sent to NZ, never had a problem getting a WOF (mot).

They do look for markings, but most of these are dot etc that a UK bike will conform too - Cars are much the same, mainly emissions and seatbelt regs. However the UK tyres you will have on the bike wont last long, NZ roads are very rough and the size of the tarmac aggregate is much larger, they chew up UK sport bike tyres in weeks.

Anyway if you have any questions, I am happy to answer from my experiences, I am thinking about returning for good later this year, glad I kept lots of my stuff still boxed!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

GB liners prices are in:

Crown
Quote: 4737
Based on shipping with MSC, if Maersk is used the quote increases to 4995! This is crazy despite the additional cost for using Maersk is 130 (information from Anglo Pacific). I commented this was ridiculous and they have agreed to keep the price at 4737 to use Maersk IF I use Crown insurance! I've sent another email asking for a significant reduction and will call to haggle depending on how I'm feeling! The survey guy was nice and wasn't pushy (however Moneycorp have already started nagging me despite asking him for them not to call me!). Insurance was quoted as 3%.

Anglo
Quote: approx 4000 (I suspect final quote will be slightly less, hasn't arrived yet). This is based on shipping with whoever I choose (e.g. Maersk). Very nice guy, knowledgeable, gave me contacts of people in NZ re: motorcycle shipping and WOF requirements. Told me he won't call me to nag, will email quote and wait to hear from me. They use three companies in NZ (NZliners and two others) to deliver to your address, playing them off against each-other to maintain quality of service.

Robinson
Quote: approx 3500-4000 (quote due today but hasn't arrived). Based on shipping with whoever I choose. Nice guy, had the feeling he wanted to do it as quick as possible, quite rushed... appeared to want to drive home to miss traffic (kept on mentioning a 3hr drive home). They use two companies in NZ to deliver, NZliners and conroys? Insurance based at 3% but will haggle to 1.5%.

GBLiners
Quote: 4110. They ship with MSC but can change if required (and I imagine a price increase). Nice guy, older, spent a lot of time explaining things. Insurance is actually 3.5% and not 3%.

Pickfords
Quote: around 4k but will send quote. Again didn't explain who they would ship with. Mentioned they have Pickfords in NZ and so we'll be dealing with same company in NZ (similar to Crown I guess). Despite what people say he wasn't pushy at all. Again impressive knowledge.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice

Great info!

I've had 2 quotes up to now - Hoults Group & Anglo Pacific. I liked Anglo (Nick Taylor) but he didn't mention insurance at all, so that put me off a bit. Then the guy from Hoults came (Paul McCartney no less!) and he was really helpful. Received both quotes via email AND in the post, which was much easier to follow.

Anglo Pacific quoted:

£6316.00
plus Double Handling (what's this) of £363.00
plus Ply Overcases for £36.00
plus Packing Crates (manual estimate) for £45.00
Insurance is 2.70%

Hoults Group quoted:

£5740.00 (no other charges listed)
Insurance is 2.70% (you can insure individual items or all items)

These quotes are for a 40ft sole use container

Thanks to your advice gazmfc, I have called Pearsons and am waiting to hear back about arranging a survey. I have also called Letton Percival and their insurance quote is 1.25% (they will only do the insurance if you insure ALL your items, not individual items which, to me, makes sense) so I feel a little better about it all (though not much!!! It's sooooo stressful!).

I'll keep you posted about Pearsons.

Gay
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Ok guys, final update on the initial quotes... here are the prices

Crown 4737
GB Liners 4110
Pickfords 4010
Anglo Pacific 3938
Robinsons 3737

So as you can see, a grand difference between Crown and Robinsons... and Robinsons said they'd be using Maersk whereas Crown said its MSC.

I'm going to draft a comparison table now, fill in any gaps by calling them, and then make a decision on two or three and play them off against each other.

Regarding insurance, they're all pretty much the same... but I've heard good things about LP so will leave insurance out of the equation for now.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gail5
Great info!

I've had 2 quotes up to now - Hoults Group & Anglo Pacific. I liked Anglo (Nick Taylor) but he didn't mention insurance at all, so that put me off a bit. Then the guy from Hoults came (Paul McCartney no less!) and he was really helpful. Received both quotes via email AND in the post, which was much easier to follow.

Anglo Pacific quoted:

£6316.00
plus Double Handling (what's this) of £363.00
plus Ply Overcases for £36.00
plus Packing Crates (manual estimate) for £45.00
Insurance is 2.70%

Hoults Group quoted:

£5740.00 (no other charges listed)
Insurance is 2.70% (you can insure individual items or all items)

These quotes are for a 40ft sole use container

Thanks to your advice gazmfc, I have called Pearsons and am waiting to hear back about arranging a survey. I have also called Letton Percival and their insurance quote is 1.25% (they will only do the insurance if you insure ALL your items, not individual items which, to me, makes sense) so I feel a little better about it all (though not much!!! It's sooooo stressful!).

I'll keep you posted about Pearsons.

Gay
Crikey those prices seem steep to me Gail, try and get at least 4 quotes and play them off against each other. I honestly don't know what the double handling charge is for unless they are taking your possessions away before loading onto a container in their warehouse!?! Try and avoid this Gail as you could end up sharing a container with someone else.

Re insurance, I gave Henderson's a value and asked for an "all risks" policy based on new for old so I got a straight forward uncomplicated fixed fee i.e. £450 cost for £50K total cover. Also make sure the insurance policy covers the whole journey and NOT just the sea freight element (MARINE), you could end up with a separate insurance policy based on the working conditions of the haulier i.e. RHA terms and conditions for the road haulage element!!

It's not too stressful Gail, remember you have control and they are desperate for your business.......this is your chance to play Alan Sugar!!

Be lucky!!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rick78
Ok guys, final update on the initial quotes... here are the prices

Crown 4737
GB Liners 4110
Pickfords 4010
Anglo Pacific 3938
Robinsons 3737

So as you can see, a grand difference between Crown and Robinsons... and Robinsons said they'd be using Maersk whereas Crown said its MSC.

I'm going to draft a comparison table now, fill in any gaps by calling them, and then make a decision on two or three and play them off against each other.

Regarding insurance, they're all pretty much the same... but I've heard good things about LP so will leave insurance out of the equation for now.
Good work Rick.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Another update:

Crown 4737 --> now 4567 if Maersk and 4397 if MSC
GB Liners 4110 --> waiting for reply
Pickfords 4010 --> Spoke today, I can see why people state their "pushy"
Anglo Pacific 3938 --> waiting for reply
Robinsons 3737 --> waiting for more info

Crown make me laugh though! Initially the move manager and manager of the Birmingham branch clearly stated 4737 was with MSC but they can increase if for Maersk (>200GBP more). I refused, stating I want the initial figure of 4737 to be with Maersk before negotiations started. They agreed only if I take insurance out with them - I refused. They then said no problem, sorry we cannot help... then I received a phone call and these reduced numbers!

Fun fun fun!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice

Crikey those prices seem steep to me Gail, try and get at least 4 quotes and play them off against each other. I honestly don't know what the double handling charge is for unless they are taking your possessions away before loading onto a container in their warehouse!?! Try and avoid this Gail as you could end up sharing a container with someone else.

Re insurance, I gave Henderson's a value and asked for an "all risks" policy based on new for old so I got a straight forward uncomplicated fixed fee i.e. £450 cost for £50K total cover. Also make sure the insurance policy covers the whole journey and NOT just the sea freight element (MARINE), you could end up with a separate insurance policy based on the working conditions of the haulier i.e. RHA terms and conditions for the road haulage element!!

It's not too stressful Gail, remember you have control and they are desperate for your business.......this is your chance to play Alan Sugar!!

Be lucky!!
Thanks gazmfc

Hoults have sent me a new quote (without me asking for one!) for £1,000 less, saying that they quoted for shipping to Whakatane instead of Tauranga.

I have now had a quote from Pearsons - they have quoted:

£5396 (£5560 if Maersk)
Insurance is 3%
No crate for the TV (if we want a crate it will be an extra £80. Other quotes include the crate)

I'm calling Hoults to haggle now - do they need 'proof' of any quotes you've received or can you just blag 'em, that the others are cheaper?

I'm going to call Hendersons to enquire about the insurance too so busy, busy, busy!

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.