Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shippers coming for a quote

Shippers coming for a quote

Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all
Default Re: Shippers coming for a quote

Originally Posted by Him and Me
We went with Robinsons.....they were excellent and way cheaper then any of the other "big" names mentioned on here.... we paid 3.5k for a 40ft container
That's canny, we've just been quoted £3250 off both PSS and Pickfords today for a 20ft!

They said the container would be at our house for a day and a half by the way, we also have a 3 bed house, no little kids and the son doesn't have much really, no cars either. I think it's the two huge roll top tool chest full of gear thats got them worried, they both stand about 6ft high and I can barely push them, let along lift them.

Good luck guys, you better bring a back support!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
Got to consider NZ tax implications.
I thought there was no import tax involved providing the items were in a "used" condition?

We've just bought a load of flat pack bedroom furniture, still in the boxes, the guys told me to build them up and fill them with light clothes, they said MAF would let them straight through.

Hmmmmmm
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

PSS guy said they don't insure flat pack furniture and that is has to be flat again. So checked that with Anglo Pacific who didn't say that.

AP also include MAF fees up front - so I asked them how they could do that given they won't know what they are.

See what he says.

he was the most helpful though in terms of advising on what MAF will accept with the need for fumigation. Pointer is coming to terms with the fact he may have to drink his single malt collection before he goes
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

lindam is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone tried Transpakship excellent firm 01623 441445
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:02 pm
AndyRuth

AndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsCheeks
Oh my lord Andy, you come near my home town! I was born and bred up the road in Audlem

Vik
Took the kids to the locks at Audlem the other day , had a swift half in the shroppie fly to boot
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:09 pm
AndyRuth

AndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
We had a quote from Pickfords for a 20ft container £3,300. Anglo come and quote on 3 September and another agent on 22nd September. Then we haggle. Got to consider insurance and MAF fees too and NZ tax implications. If the removal firm offers insurance why is extra insurance from, say, Letton Percival needed too ? Pickfords have said the 20ft container will be outside our house for 3 days whilst they pack. Anyone else been told that ? We have a 3 bed household's full of stuff but no kids, no pets and no cars to take.
Interesting about the container being outside the house , sure all of ours including pickfords , said the first day is purely packing up our worldly belongings , the second day is when the container arrives and our stuff is loaded into it , and off it goes that evening to be seen 8-12 weeks later , hopefully
Old Aug 28th 2010, 12:08 am
Just Joined

MrsCheeks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyRuth
Took the kids to the locks at Audlem the other day , had a swift half in the shroppie fly to boot
what a pub ... my 2 eldest brothers helped to raise that barge from the lock and put it into place in the bar once it was restored!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
I couldn't care less about MOST of my belongings in that crate...most of it is Ikea haha. My main concern is getting my boys there, so yes the pet shipper is the number one issue for me.

Ladyhaye is the current favourite, but alos talking to Golden Arrow. We haven't decided yet whether to leave them for 2 weeks (ie have them boarded) or one of us stays behind and sends them on their way and then flies over for the happy reunion.

I'm guessing they come out the other totally minging! Not that they mind being minging - in fact they take it upon themselvess to find minging things to roll in.
We boared our 2 cats here (NZ) before we came out because it was basically cheaper then to board them in the UK for the same amount of time!!! (exchange rate) and they were happy as when we took them home..like they've always been here I highly reccommend Ladehaye, Sharon was very helpful and always on the end of the phone/email
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Kezzar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Him and Me
We boared our 2 cats here (NZ) before we came out because it was basically cheaper then to board them in the UK for the same amount of time!!! (exchange rate) and they were happy as when we took them home..like they've always been here I highly reccommend Ladehaye, Sharon was very helpful and always on the end of the phone/email
I'm rather curious about boarding our cat in NZ instead of here in the UK. Who did you use to board your pets in NZ? Do they pick them up from the airport and just look after them until you get there?

I'm trying to figure out what is the best thing to do with our little cat

Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

moores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant future

In my experience, avoid Anglo Pacific like the plague. I posted in another thread, so here is a link:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=anglo+pacific
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=dave77;880518

From what I hear on here it is wise to take the white goods with you. The electrical supply and plumbing fittings are the same so they should be good to go! (apart from the electrical plugs being different!)[/QUOTE]

Do take small appliances like toasters, irons etc but I wouldn't bother with whitegoods like fridges, washing machines etc unless you considered them to have a lot of life left in them. You cannot get spare parts in NZ for most UK brands especially the cheaper ranges so if anything goes wrong they are not often able to be repaired....
Old Sep 24th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Sorry to jump in slightly off topic, but - make sure you've got your camera when they're unloading at the NZ end.

Movecorp - they were the cheapest so we got what we paid for and it was a big mistake.

My camera battery was flat and it didn't occur to me to to buy a disposable camera. At the moment they opened the doors it looked like the container had been rolled down a hill on it's side - my phone died and although I got pictures of the damaged items later on - I've got nothing to prove that the container had been badly packed and wasn't full.

They basically packed a 40ft high cube container with all of the boxes stacked top to bottom back to front, it meant that once the boxes were in - they only had the odd shaped items and furniture left to fill the front 1/3 of the container. Apparently, they're supposed to stack boxes all along the bottom with the odd stuff on top like a jigsaw. It makes best use of space because they can go right up to the ceiling, and it distributes the weight more evenly inside and you don't have towers of boxes falling and crushing everything else.

The boxes have crushed items of furniture and other things, but worst of all - the whole space across the top of the container smaller than a packing box wasn't used. We had no way of knowing until we reached this end. We ended up having to leave out 11 random packets in total and it's cost us $2000 to replace what we needed and we've written off the rest.

They left between 12 and 18 inches across the whole top of the container (40 ft) I've got the report written by the company at this end who said it was the worst packed container they'd ever seen - and they commented on the wasted space. The default line given by the company is: there is always space not used because of the nature of the goods not being flat/square blah blah. There was enough cubic feet to take all of the items left behind according to the team this end.

The report is worthless though without photographs. That small print you sign in your contract acknowledges the weird and wonderful shapes etc.

Just have a camera to hand, I'm usually the admin queen - but it was new years eve, we'd moved 3 times in a month to find this house - OH started work the day after we arrived and didn't take a single day off - so by the time the container arrived I was beyond caring if I'm honest.

We've got an insurance claim in for the damaged goods, but there won't be any compensation for the space not used and the goods we couldn't bring as a direct result.

I have to say at this point, we've moved 14 times always with a 40ft and several across deep sea - this is the first time we've ever had anything like this. A pair of oil paintings on stretched canvas frames my husband gave me for my birthday were just thrown into a box with a yoga mat and in transit the rubber has stuck to the surface of the paints.

Don't buy them chips and be nice to them! The time you spend packing and trying to help is just thrown back in your face when they do things like that. I wish I'd behaved like a bi*ch now instead of working my socks off packing at least 60 boxes for them and making them tea/coffee all bl**dy day.

Last edited by squarepants; Sep 24th 2010 at 6:26 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:53 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squarepants
...Apparently, they're supposed to stack boxes all along the bottom with the odd stuff on top like a jigsaw.
Much of our odd stuff was much heavier than the boxes would take so I´m not sure thats a hard and fast rule, more important to have weight lower (to prevent crushing), and to fill the space to prevent movement, as we overshot the 40ft by 400cu ft that wasn´t a problem for us but the packers used every inch of space....sad to hear, as you say so much can´t be helped even by insurance...
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to reactivate a slightly old thread, but Mrs P just a couple of things.

a) you can get toasters and kettles here for like $11 each at Warehouse and K Mart type stores which imo is hardly breaking the bank and if you don't actually care what they look like so long as they actually make toast and boil water. They look just like the 5 quid stuff in Argos and are perfectly servicable until you sort out yourself longer term. In fact, Countdown had a 4-toaster thing for $19 and I was tempted but then got shot daggers looks by OH and put it back!

Front loading washing machines - EXPENSIVE! Send yours over if you haven't done so already! I cannot wait for mine to arrive, if only there was a bouncy up and down emoticon somewhere 8 days to go......

Just got a tumble dryer for $380 brand new. Not sure what tumble dryer prices are like back home? Never had one so this is a luxury for us You can get cheap fridge/freezers (around $650 or so from memory for a basic thingy) but we ended up spending a bit more because I want something that I can use for many years. Again, never had to buy one in the UK so really no idea I'm afraid.

b) both my bro (haha I am getting into the lingo) and I used Anglo Pacific and no problems so far. Although we have shipped 3 more boxes separately and the guy in the UK we dealt with was not great - but who cares so long as the stuff arrives and as it has most of my wardrobe I'm hoping it does My stuff has yet to arrive though but at the UK end we found them pretty good. I think with most large export companies there will be some people who have had a horrendous time. It's just pot luck as to who you get on the day innit. Remember when that cargo ship got stricken off the coast of Devon and people were looting those containers that is exceptional of course (I hope!).

Hope the move is going well!

oh ps can only reiterate what some other posters have said about collecting hounds from the airport, be prepared for a LONG wait (we had to wait 3 hours! But to be fair they had some difficult cases ahead of us in customs and if we'd managed to get in the queue earlier we probably would have been in and out in 1/2 hour). They take them to the loo and check their water and that though so they at least have that!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

cheers for all that.

I love my toaster though, so it's coming. It's got a wee button and the bread goes down electronically .

We've just got a 20ft container and we're taking everything. We don't have kids so the smaller container is cheaper

We will have to move out of our house and into temporary accommodation once our house sales completes so we'll ditch the junk then. If it's not useful, beautiful or seriously sentimental it ain't coming.

It's really it's only stuff though - I'll only be happy once my hairy hooligans arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.