Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shippers coming for a quote

Shippers coming for a quote

Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice
Default Shippers coming for a quote

Got PSS and Anglo Pacific coming round on Friday to eye up our goods and chattels for a quote.

Pity they couldn't ship the house over as well! Finding it hard to say goodbye to it - it's a lovely house. Not that anybody seems to want to buy it

Now it's getting to the pointy end, I am suddenly starting to see the things I will be sorry to let go and forget why I wanted to go in the first place. Then it rained for 190th time this year and I remembered.

Is it normal to have doubts? Suppose it must be when there are things you like about your life and you don't know what will replace it.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:10 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shippers coming for a quote

Having doubts (wobbles) is normal!!.....those 'up down' moments seem to be part of the process for many...... no more platitudes, just good luck wishes
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:38 pm
AndyRuth

AndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really nice

just had our 4 quotes in for the move , john mason cheapest followed closely by Pickfords , PSS a little bit further behind and crown bringing up the rear - the difference between the cheapest and dearest quotes was just on £1000 , this for a 20ft container with contents from a 3 bed house , any thoughts anyone ?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyRuth
just had our 4 quotes in for the move , john mason cheapest followed closely by Pickfords , PSS a little bit further behind and crown bringing up the rear - the difference between the cheapest and dearest quotes was just on £1000 , this for a 20ft container with contents from a 3 bed house , any thoughts anyone ?
We're taking the dogs, so we're trying to see if there are any savings to be made with some firms for doing both? Anyone managed that?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Hi, we went with John Mason, the packers who came to our home in manchester were brilliant, and container got delivered yesterday really can't fault them, no breakages, no damage
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:36 pm
AndyRuth

AndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really nice

Originally Posted by sue1234
Hi, we went with John Mason, the packers who came to our home in manchester were brilliant, and container got delivered yesterday really can't fault them, no breakages, no damage
Cheers for that Sue , will wait though until we hopefully get an offer on the house before we make a final decision. How did you get on with MAF by the way , John Mason were the only movers who told us that we are invoiced by them and they pay MAF , this does concern me a bit as there have been one or two threads about ' loaded invoices ' ?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Cheers for that Sue , will wait though until we hopefully get an offer on the house before we make a final decision. How did you get on with MAF by the way , John Mason were the only movers who told us that we are invoiced by them and they pay MAF , this does concern me a bit as there have been one or two threads about ' loaded invoices ' ?
We had to pay the MAF inspection fee $200 odd dollars, but we knew about that, we even declared that we had 2 brand new bikes....., but no other fees, good luck with selling your house. sue
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all

Hi all
we have had Pickfords (most expensive ) followed by Pss and Excess, still have to get quotes from anglo and Brittannia.
We need a 40ft container ,as we are taking peoples advice who are already there and taking everything!!
They have all said that MAF fees are seperate to their quotes, and this is the same for every company so maybe we should enquire with masons? or is it a 'hidden' charge as has been said before.

Dave and Helen
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:04 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

We got four quotes and settled for Excess international, but used Letton Percival for our marine insurance. Guys who packed us up were fantastic and great fun. Container arriving 22nd September so will let you know re how it all went.

Dont forget to haggle a bit as they will all drop something if you tell them they are in the running.

Good luck.

Yes the big doubts and wobbles are certainly part of the process. Now I am one week in, yes it was right for us. Early days I know and time will tell but now it feels right despite the horrid goodbyes.

Dewb
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Any questions you wished you'd asked?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:24 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
Any questions you wished you'd asked?
"Can we watch the container being sealed?"

Did not realise until reading a thread on here that some companies offer you to watch the container being sealed and give you the seal number. Makes perfect sense, once I realised this I went into a real flap as we had not witnessed this. After some emailing we did get our (allegedly) seal number but wish for peace of mind I had witnessed it.

I did find a questions list on another chat forum will see if I can find it again.

Dewb
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

We have Anglo Pacific coming to quote us at midday today. So far we have had quotes from John Mason and PSS, JM being the cheapest by about £300
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Anglo Pacific guy was very good. Advising on what MAF would or would not like eg my African hand-carved masks. Price was ok too. They do include MAF fees but I'm going to quiz them a bit more on that. Loads of info left with us.

PSS use a local subcontractor who packs and gets it on the ship, but had no real info and PSS haven't bothered to send us anything. And quote is expensive. Not impressed.

We'll get another 2 I think.

To me, customer service is a good indicator of the entire service.

Did anyone see the Undercover Boss programme on Crown this week. They came across ok, but did say that they used to take 3 days to fill a 20ft crate, now it's only 2 which is pretty standard.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
Anglo Pacific guy was very good. Advising on what MAF would or would not like eg my African hand-carved masks. Price was ok too. They do include MAF fees but I'm going to quiz them a bit more on that. Loads of info left with us.

PSS use a local subcontractor who packs and gets it on the ship, but had no real info and PSS haven't bothered to send us anything. And quote is expensive. Not impressed.

We'll get another 2 I think.

To me, customer service is a good indicator of the entire service.

Did anyone see the Undercover Boss programme on Crown this week. They came across ok, but did say that they used to take 3 days to fill a 20ft crate, now it's only 2 which is pretty standard.
We thought the Anglo pacific guy was very good too and gave us some good advice. We are hoping they come in at a reasonable price, but he did hint they would be negotiable on price so might have a barter with them!

Our guy said that the MAF fees are not included because they have no way of knowing what they would be. I would definitely check that with them.

I thought their insurance was expensive so will more likely go with Letton Percival. He dropped the bombshell that they wouldn't insure any of my guitars that don't have hard cases... more expense now as I have to go and buy 3 hard cases

Best of luck!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

What sort of prices are you getting quoted? We have them ranging from £3200 up to £3900, does that sound about right. I haven't started to haggle yet as i am waiting to have a fixed date that we are going. Also how much are you insuring your goods for?
Helen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.