Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shippers coming for a quote

Shippers coming for a quote

Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice
Default Re: Shippers coming for a quote

So far between 3.5k and 4.5k.....but we'll get another couple.

It will cost the same to get the dogs there...but hey, they're more valuable than my Ikea belongings. Literally haha.

We almost booked the flights today...but we're still humming and hawing over final destination.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:13 pm
AndyRuth

AndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really nice

Ours range from just over 3k to nearly 4k , got a call off Crown earlier in the week , they were the most expensive at around 4.2k , told him this and how they compared to our other quotes , they subsequently sent a revised quote for just under 4k , still £600 dearer that our 3rd most expensive quote

Recorded Undercover Boss but have not had chance to view it yet , should be interesting when we do
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

We went with Robinsons.....they were excellent and way cheaper then any of the other "big" names mentioned on here.... we paid 3.5k for a 40ft container in December and they were willing to match the insurance quote we got from Letton Percival (i think). They used Conrads at this end and i found them to be good but a bit slow to know what MAF inspection where up to re our container.

We used Ladyhaye for transporting our cats over and they were very helpful and always at the end of the phone to answer my questions. i think the Lady who runs it, Sharon, is on her under "Pet Shippers"
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dewb09
"Can we watch the container being sealed?"

Did not realise until reading a thread on here that some companies offer you to watch the container being sealed and give you the seal number. Makes perfect sense, once I realised this I went into a real flap as we had not witnessed this. After some emailing we did get our (allegedly) seal number but wish for peace of mind I had witnessed it.

I did find a questions list on another chat forum will see if I can find it again.

Dewb
We sealed our 40ft container before it left our house only to discover in New Zealand they opened it, put the items onto two lorries, broke things and stole items and told us to claim onout insurance, so even when you seal your own container it is not cetain you will obtain all yr good the other end. We used Britannia
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Him and Me
We went with Robinsons.....they were excellent and way cheaper then any of the other "big" names mentioned on here.... we paid 3.5k for a 40ft container in December and they were willing to match the insurance quote we got from Letton Percival (i think). They used Conrads at this end and i found them to be good but a bit slow to know what MAF inspection where up to re our container.

We used Ladyhaye for transporting our cats over and they were very helpful and always at the end of the phone to answer my questions. i think the Lady who runs it, Sharon, is on her under "Pet Shippers"
I couldn't care less about MOST of my belongings in that crate...most of it is Ikea haha. My main concern is getting my boys there, so yes the pet shipper is the number one issue for me.

Ladyhaye is the current favourite, but alos talking to Golden Arrow. We haven't decided yet whether to leave them for 2 weeks (ie have them boarded) or one of us stays behind and sends them on their way and then flies over for the happy reunion.

I'm guessing they come out the other totally minging! Not that they mind being minging - in fact they take it upon themselvess to find minging things to roll in.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
So far between 3.5k and 4.5k.....but we'll get another couple.

It will cost the same to get the dogs there...but hey, they're more valuable than my Ikea belongings. Literally haha.

We almost booked the flights today...but we're still humming and hawing over final destination.
Are your quotes for a 20ft or 40ft container?

Ours quotes have come in fairly high, but with a very big variation. The cost of the first 40ft container ranges from £5100 to £6500 to hold household goods plus one car. However, there are a lot of delicate items so that will no doubt be pushing up the cost up a bit. The second 40ft container for just 2 cars range from £3300 to £3900. I'm now slowly getting over the shock.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rushmere
Are your quotes for a 20ft or 40ft container?

Ours quotes have come in fairly high, but with a very big variation. The cost of the first 40ft container ranges from £5100 to £6500 to hold household goods plus one car. However, there are a lot of delicate items so that will no doubt be pushing up the cost up a bit. The second 40ft container for just 2 cars range from £3300 to £3900. I'm now slowly getting over the shock.
Ours is for a 20ft container. We're not taking our cars. And anything we can't fit into a 20ft container, ain't coming. But the guy said our stuff would fit in quite easily.

We have integrated appliances and no kids (and I'll make sure Pointer doesn't take his clutter. When we moved into our house I opened a large box and it contained 1 teaspoon, 1 coathanger and 1 tie)
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
When we moved into our house I opened a large box and it contained 1 teaspoon, 1 coathanger and 1 tie)
Sounds like a piece of modern art. Did you consider offering it to Tate Modern for a couple of million?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

MrsCheeks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, just joined the forums today and enjoying reading peoples experiences so far.

Am loving Mrs Pointer's comment re box with not a lot in it - that is my husband all over, hence it will be me that does the packing and organising

As a point of interest - do most of you take all your white goods?

Vik
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsCheeks
Hello all, just joined the forums today and enjoying reading peoples experiences so far.

Am loving Mrs Pointer's comment re box with not a lot in it - that is my husband all over, hence it will be me that does the packing and organising

As a point of interest - do most of you take all your white goods?

Vik
Hello and welcome!

We have got integrated appliances so will not be able to take them

From what I hear on here it is wise to take the white goods with you. The electrical supply and plumbing fittings are the same so they should be good to go! (apart from the electrical plugs being different!)
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for that Dave, plug changes I am good at so no worries there. Husband (also a Dave) was thinking of selling everything here and buying over there, but when you weigh it all up shipping stuff thats in good condition is far more financially viable - last thing I want to have to do is start shopping for a house full of stuff, would rather just shop for decent NZ wine LOL

Vik
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:18 pm
AndyRuth

AndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really nice

We have just had a courtesy phone call from Pickfords ( not far off our cheapest quote already ) and we were told that removal rates are lower in the British winter and they offered to renegotuate their quote , we are hoping to move between October and December , thats Crown and Pickfords already adjusting their figures , must be a cut throat business out there !!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Oh my lord Andy, you come near my home town! I was born and bred up the road in Audlem

Vik
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsCheeks
Cheers for that Dave, plug changes I am good at so no worries there. Husband (also a Dave) was thinking of selling everything here and buying over there, but when you weigh it all up shipping stuff thats in good condition is far more financially viable - last thing I want to have to do is start shopping for a house full of stuff, would rather just shop for decent NZ wine LOL

Vik
No worries, I have to agree with you there its much more financially shrewd to take your own belongings over. £4k for a container is cheap when you weigh up the cost of buying everything again at new in NZ prices

I'm with you on the wine also
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:12 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

We had a quote from Pickfords for a 20ft container £3,300. Anglo come and quote on 3 September and another agent on 22nd September. Then we haggle. Got to consider insurance and MAF fees too and NZ tax implications. If the removal firm offers insurance why is extra insurance from, say, Letton Percival needed too ? Pickfords have said the 20ft container will be outside our house for 3 days whilst they pack. Anyone else been told that ? We have a 3 bed household's full of stuff but no kids, no pets and no cars to take.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.