British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shifting jobs on a Work Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shifting-jobs-work-visa-526978/)

turkeys Apr 5th 2008 9:51 am

Shifting jobs on a Work Visa

Hi

I am thinking of looking around for other jobs; nothing really wrong with mine, just wondering about how flexible Immigration are likely to be. You see my Work Visa states that I can work for the company for which I am currently employed, whereas my wife who came as the 'secondary' applicant can work at anything she fancies!

Anyone else been in this situation? How set in stone is it?

Still not got round to starting the residency application procedure, should crack on with that I reckon

P2L Apr 5th 2008 9:58 am

Re: Shifting jobs on a Work Visa

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 6162409)
Hi

I am thinking of looking around for other jobs; nothing really wrong with mine, just wondering about how flexible Immigration are likely to be. You see my Work Visa states that I can work for the company for which I am currently employed, whereas my wife who came as the 'secondary' applicant can work at anything she fancies!

Still not got round to starting the residency application procedure, should crack on with that I reckon

This is what they say

If you’re here under a working holiday scheme, changing employers does not affect your Work Permit.

For all other workers, if your employer is named on your Work Permit, then you need to inform us that you’ve changed employer. You will need to apply for another Work Permit and must apply for a new permit when you have a job offer. You should not start work in your new job until you have a new Work Permit.
If you gained your permit because you secured a job with an accredited New Zealand employer, you’ll only be able to remain in New Zealand if you’re working for another accredited employer. Even if you find work with another accredited employer, we’ll still need to approve the arrangement.

Looks like you can change but there are procedures and possible restrictions.

Have you considered changing your visa to residency BEFORE you change your job?? They usually put a restriction of remaining with your employer for 3 months once PR has been granted. If not you, then maybe your wife?

turkeys Apr 5th 2008 10:11 am

Thanks for that, I love the fact that people on this site are far more sensible than me and will research stuff, or have been through it already.

What I think I may do is try and get the wheels in motion for PR
I gained my job because my boss provided evidence that the post couldn't be filled by an NZ citizen, but they aren't accredited employers. Not sure what slant that will put on it.

There is the small matter of finding another job that pays the same or more (without being tacky, what would people call a decent salary for a family of four in Wellington btw??)

My wife is looking into getting a job, but we have kids at school and kindy and so far.... seem to be managing on one salary.

Knightm Apr 6th 2008 1:54 am

Unless you get your PR in the meantime you would need to get a job offer from a company offering you a work visa. that is basically they would need to prove that they could not find another kiwi for the job (unless it's an accredited employer). same procedure you did already.

Your wife has no restrictions 'cos she is yr partner but then she is fully dependant on you. If you loose yr work visa, she looses her right to stay in NZ.

If you can, I would suggest you apply for yr PR asap. Once you get PR, then you and yr wife can practically do whatever you like. Since you would have already worked for more than 3 months uou will probably not be issued with section 18a condition i.e. working with the employer who will be listed on yr PR application for 3 months. Basically without this condition you can change employment the next day.

Dustybin Apr 6th 2008 4:45 am

Hi

immigration aren't flexible. You can't even change roles (or even job descriptions!) without getting a new work visa. Also if like me you are in the middle of a PR application if you apply for a new work visa it may mean that you have to withdraw your application and re apply!.

But hopefully PR will be here soon! ,....

turkeys Apr 6th 2008 9:01 am

Thanks for the advice, I am working on the online expression of interest as we speak :confused: I have about 50 pop up pages open

Once! it comes through I am assuming I will be able to switch jobs if possible, having done 3 months in the job for which I came over to do... or I may have that completely wrong!

BEVS Apr 6th 2008 10:17 pm

Hi

I am thinking of looking around for other jobs; nothing really wrong with mine, just wondering about how flexible Immigration are likely to be. You see my Work Visa states that I can work for the company for which I am currently employed,

If you wish to leave your present job and start another with a different employer, then you must inform NZIS and re-apply for a new work permit.

The work permit ties you to the employer stated on that blue sticker. It is non-transferable.

Depending on your occupation , any new employer may have to prove that there is no other NZ resident to take the job offered.
If your occupation is on the long or immediate shortage list , then another employer is free to offer you a job without having to prove the NZ resident thing. You simply apply for a new work permit which ties you to the new employer.

Originally Posted by turkeys
whereas my wife who came as the 'secondary' applicant can work at anything she fancies!

Yes. Your partner will have an open work permit for as long as you hold your work permit.

It's not set in stone. You are free to apply for a new work permit if you go to a new employer. Whether a new work permit is granted or not is up to NZIS and the circumstances of the new offer of employment . All the usual criteria apply.

Yup! If you have the points, then bung in that EOI. With PR you would be free to choose new employment if you wish.

If you apply for PR using your current employer then you can claim points for that job. When the successful PR comes through it may tie you for a further 3 months to that employer

newkiwi Apr 10th 2008 12:28 pm

Hi

Id definately get PR if you qualify for enough points. By the time your PR comes through, then you will have spent a reasonable time with your first employer, which will look better on your CV in any case. And with PR you will be a more attractive employee and you should then have more options in terms of getting a better job.

so if there isnt anything really wrong with your current job, it worth sticking with it until you get PR imo

turkeys Apr 23rd 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 6188056)
Id definately get PR if you qualify for enough points. By the time your PR comes through, then you will have spent a reasonable time with your first employer, which will look better on your CV in any case. And with PR you will be a more attractive employee and you should then have more options in terms of getting a better job.

so if there isnt anything really wrong with your current job, it worth sticking with it until you get PR imo

very true NewKiwi. I've just been selected from the pool, so hopefully will get the nod to apply for residency. Not sure when this 3 months thing kicks in but things seem to be heading in the right direction.... even though I am not convinced I want permanent residency :unsure: My view is its better to do it now, hedge our bets rather than decide we want to stay and we are near the end of our 1 year visa.
I must admit my feelings on the whole thing are up and down and seem to change on a daily basis. I thought it would be so simple when we started planning this whole adventure in the comfort of our home in UK!

BEVS Apr 23rd 2008 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 6256245)
very true NewKiwi. I've just been selected from the pool, so hopefully will get the nod to apply for residency. Not sure when this 3 months thing kicks in but things seem to be heading in the right direction.... even though I am not convinced I want permanent residency :unsure: My view is its better to do it now, hedge our bets rather than decide we want to stay and we are near the end of our 1 year visa.
I must admit my feelings on the whole thing are up and down and seem to change on a daily basis. I thought it would be so simple when we started planning this whole adventure in the comfort of our home in UK!

I replied to you on another thread but I'll stick it here too .:)

If NZIS decide to tie you into a given employer for 3 months , it will be from the time your PR is issued. As you are already working on a temp work permit for an NZ employer, NZIS may not bother with the 3 month thing, in which case once you had PR you would be free to work for anyone.

If you want to move jobs , then PR is the way to go, unless you want to have the expense of a new work permit application.

Fingers crossed that as your EOI has been selected, your application and checks will go smoothly and you will be looking at PR stickers in a few months time.

turkeys Apr 24th 2008 12:53 am

thanks BEVS