sharks

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

summer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant futuresummer99 has a brilliant future
Default sharks

we have been talking to a few people in new zealand who live aronud the costal area's and they have told us that between november and april is shark season but is'nt that summer time ? .can anyone shed any light on this as we are moving to dunedin on tuesday the 26th august next week and dunedin is on the east cost ?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

PhilS has a brilliant futurePhilS has a brilliant futurePhilS has a brilliant futurePhilS has a brilliant futurePhilS has a brilliant futurePhilS has a brilliant futurePhilS has a brilliant future
Default Re: sharks

Originally Posted by summer99
we have been talking to a few people in new zealand who live aronud the costal area's and they have told us that between november and april is shark season but is'nt that summer time ? .can anyone shed any light on this as we are moving to dunedin on tuesday the 26th august next week and dunedin is on the east cost ?
Hi there. I was in NZ in Dec / Jan and stayed in New Plymouth for a while. Lots of stuff in the paper about the "Taranaki Terror", a white shark spotted off the coast. Don't get many of them in the River Trent in Nottingham, that's for sure!!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:33 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi summer99, don't know about Dunedin but we had several shark sightings over last summer here in the Mount and Papamoa. Didn't stop the kids jumping in the ocean at every opportunity but I must admit it made me a bit of a scaredy cat! I know another family who's son saw a shark just behind him in the ocean and sadly now he won't get back in it. Bit of a bummer when you live by the beach ...

I'd heard they were more prevalent last summer due to the higher air and sea temperatures we experienced? We also had an influx on those horrid little blue Portuguese man of war jellyfish too.

So assuming last summer was a one in 10 year high we should be ok for the next 9!!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in the sea since seeing Jaws as a child in the 1970s! Doesn't stop me enjoying the coast here though..I just don't go in the water! The kids just paddle with Dad! Walking along the beaches here is fun because they are so uncommercial and desert-islandish.

Last edited by luvwelly; Aug 23rd 2008 at 4:23 am. Reason: Remembered snorkelling !
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:48 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in the sea since seeing Jaws as a child in the 1970s! Doesn't stop me enjoying the coast here though..I just don't go in the water! The kids just paddle with Dad! Walking along the beaches here is fun because they are so uncommercial and desert-islandish.
Yep must admit I would not go in the sea just a paddle will do me....and its great to walk on the beach with just a couple of people on it...awesome.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:29 am
I'm going fishing .....

psa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant future

Hi, my OH (j19fmm) has loads of cousins on North Island and quite a few of them are in to diving and surfing. One cousin in particular has seen a few Great White's in his time, amongst other sharks, but has never let it bother him and he continues to surf and dive in his 50's.

I have to say he's a braver man than me. To quote Billy Connolly I'd be through the water like a polaris missile if I saw one and keep swimming right up the beach till I hit a car on the main road
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Smile Re: sharks

Originally Posted by psa2570
I have to say he's a braver man than me. To quote Billy Connolly I'd be through the water like a polaris missile if I saw one and keep swimming right up the beach till I hit a car on the main road
Hi, have you seen his 2004 "Too Old To Die Young" tour of New Zealand? I have it on DVD and it's hilarious My OH said it's a better guide to NZ than some of other TV stuff and books he's read!

sorry, this is off the subject...

nic
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:17 pm
I'm going fishing .....

psa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant futurepsa2570 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph
Hi, have you seen his 2004 "Too Old To Die Young" tour of New Zealand? I have it on DVD and it's hilarious My OH said it's a better guide to NZ than some of other TV stuff and books he's read!

sorry, this is off the subject...

nic
Not seen that one, but we've got the World Tour of New Zealand and that is very "informative"
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 9:00 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived in Dunedin for over 3 years now, and i have been in the sea only a couple of times, there are shark nets off St Clair beach and the main problem that scares the poo out of surfers we know are the Seals, they harrass the surfers no end, i spoke to the Dive club and they told me the only big Great White they have seen is the one called KZ7 he is about 8-10mtr long and comes up and down the coast from CHCH eating seals, he rarely bothers humans as there are so many seals on the coasts down here.

The beaches are manned by life saving teams all summer, if you want any pics on Dunedin or advice then PM me, we can help with allsorts of things , if you need a lift from the airport and a friendly person to meet you all off the plane, i have picked many up from airport and taken them to their rentals, or if you fancy a trip around town and the area to get your bearings then we can arrange that, at least you will be arriving at the end of winter.

Nige and family Dunners since May 05
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psa2570
Not seen that one, but we've got the World Tour of New Zealand and that is very "informative"
It's one and the same honey
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

My golden rule when swimming in the sea is not to be the furthest one out , seems to be working so far. I'm still alive & have the full quota of limbs
Old Aug 24th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

You don't hear of many shark attacks in NZ, even when there are sightings. They don't usually come very close in to shore so attacks are usually on surfers rather than swimmers.
In Dunedin the water will be too cold to go out very far much of the time, so wouldn't let it worry you.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:23 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

When i go in the water my wotsits turn into shrivelled up raisins, and you know why the sharks dont bite any one down here is because they cant get through your 4 inch thick wet suit that you need in these cold waters

I hope the weather gets better for the one who is landing in Dunedin on Tuesday, because at the mo you cant see the city because of the foggy drizzle, nice ay?
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:39 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember, if you are trying to outswim a shark you do not need to be the fastest person.

All you need to do is beat the slowest person
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Sharks are out there all right, but no-one I know has been eaten by one yet.

To get things in perspective you have far far more chance of being taken out by P-smoking lunatic knifeman or 160kph boy racer than you do a shark!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.