Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shanghai Airport !

Shanghai Airport !

Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice
Default Shanghai Airport !

Has anyone travelled through Shanghai?
A cheapish flight has come up, out via Shanghai and back via Hong Kong with Air New Zealand.
We were hoping to stop over .... but Shanghai scares me a bit - not sure why!
Thanks everyone
Jackie
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:24 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Shanghai Airport !

If you are just transiting for a few hours and you aren't leaving the airport there should be absolutely no cause for concern.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice

I wonder what its like to stopover (night) though. China seems such an oppressive regime and doesn't seem to ne very welcoming to westerners or is that just my perception?
Whereas Hong Kong ,chinese or not ,has a reputation for being an exciting stopover. It would be nice to stay somewhere where we could get our heads down but also do a little (very little!!) sightseeing. Doesn't have to be too exciting The price is still a prime consideration.
Thanks for your reply HNZ.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

My OH went to Shanghai on business for a few weeks last year. He had no problems at all. He found the Chinese very polite, friendly & helpful. He felt perfectly safe walking around Shanghai. The hotels he stayed in where modern & he had a good standard of service. Even though he was on business he wasn't being pampered, he flew economy etc.!

Hope this helps.

Annie x.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:46 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackietyfry View Post
I wonder what its like to stopover (night) though. China seems such an oppressive regime and doesn't seem to me very welcoming to westerners or is that just my perception?
I think it is just your perception. The reality is that Shanghai is one of the most dynamic fastest growing cities in the world. I'm not a big fan of China's government, but if I had a chance to visit Shanghai I'd take advantage of the opportunity.
Do what a Chinese person would do on holiday...eat drink eat drink eat drink...have your photo taken in front of some landmark...eat drink eat drink eat drink...and repeat.

Old Aug 16th 2007, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Karen2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really nice

Hi

My son visited Shanghai last year on holiday and he loved it ! He says he would definately go back again . Hope that helps , but I suppose what 1 person likes another may not .

Karen
Old Aug 16th 2007, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone If we decide to go with that deal I will feel much better about the stopover. I am booking at the end of the month so I will see what deals are about then.
Cheers!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Shell2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter is in Shanghai airport as I write this! She has flown China Eastern Airways via there to Sydney and is returning the same route in three weeks time, stopping over a night on the way back. I will get an update from her asap and let you know......
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:16 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Shanghai for over 4 years, if you have any questions feel free to ask. As a stopover its great. Make sure you get picked up from the airport though, it just makes things easier. Remember, taxi drivers don't speak English. Its a fascinating city, one minute everything looks futuristic, then you take a turn down a little lane and you are back in the Shanghai days of old. Go to the parks early in the morning, and watch the ladies dancing, the men swinging swords around and the old men proudly showing off their birds in ornate cages hanging off the tree branches. Its an amazing place.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:25 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone If we decide to go with that deal I will feel much better about the stopover. I am booking at the end of the month so I will see what deals are about then.
Cheers!

Hi Jackie

Although I haven't been via Shanghai I can recommend this hotel, if you want to push the boat out a bit.

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/propert...udongshangrila

Most airlines usually offer special deals on stopovers and the Shangri la Hotels are usually included.

HTH
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by C&R View Post
I lived in Shanghai for over 4 years, if you have any questions feel free to ask. As a stopover its great. Make sure you get picked up from the airport though, it just makes things easier. Remember, taxi drivers don't speak English. Its a fascinating city, one minute everything looks futuristic, then you take a turn down a little lane and you are back in the Shanghai days of old. Go to the parks early in the morning, and watch the ladies dancing, the men swinging swords around and the old men proudly showing off their birds in ornate cages hanging off the tree branches. Its an amazing place.
You certainly conjure up an interesting picture - so evocative! It would be great to just sit there and absorb the atmosphere. That is what we are looking for from our stopover - a chance to see a different culture, but I also need to feel safe cos that reduces my stress. My OH gets verrrrrrrry stressed when we travel - he likes to arrive whereas i enjoy the journey!
Cheers!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kev&sarah View Post
Hi Jackie

Although I haven't been via Shanghai I can recommend this hotel, if you want to push the boat out a bit.

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/propert...udongshangrila

Most airlines usually offer special deals on stopovers and the Shangri la Hotels are usually included.

HTH
I checked out this site and it looks fab. Hope we can afford it! This would reduce stress levels all round no doubt. Starting to hope that the best deal is via Shanghai now, hope "Shell's" feedback is positive too!
Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I checked out this site and it looks fab. Hope we can afford it! This would reduce stress levels all round no doubt. Starting to hope that the best deal is via Shanghai now, hope "Shell's" feedback is positive too!
Thanks everyone.
Call me a running dog paper tiger, but a Chinese stopover ranks up there with anywhere MiddleEastern (Bagdad ?) as ones to avoid like the plague ! Imagine breathing through all that pollution for a start , the airport will be full of people spitting everywhere while eating evil smelling poodle and snake meals ! No, Singapore, Japan or Hong Kong are the only ones, i would step foot in

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Aug 18th 2007 at 10:01 am.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout View Post
Imagine breathing through all that pollution for a start , the airport will be full of people spitting everywhere while eating evil smelling poodle and snake meals!

Hang on, are you sure you're not describing LAX?
Old Aug 18th 2007, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout View Post
Call me a running dog paper tiger, but a Chinese stopover ranks up there with anywhere MiddleEastern (Bagdad ?) as ones to avoid like the plague ! Imagine breathing through all that pollution for a start , the airport will be full of people spitting everywhere while eating evil smelling poodle and snake meals ! No, Singapore, Japan or Hong Kong are the only ones, i would step foot in
Where's your sense of adventure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.