British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shanghai Airport ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shanghai-airport-474337/)

jackietyfry Aug 15th 2007 5:27 pm

Shanghai Airport !

:unsure:Has anyone travelled through Shanghai?
A cheapish flight has come up, out via Shanghai and back via Hong Kong with Air New Zealand.
We were hoping to stop over :zzz:.... but Shanghai scares me a bit - not sure why!
Thanks everyone
Jackie

happynz Aug 15th 2007 7:24 pm

Re: Shanghai Airport !

If you are just transiting for a few hours and you aren't leaving the airport there should be absolutely no cause for concern.

jackietyfry Aug 15th 2007 9:22 pm

I wonder what its like to stopover (night) though. China seems such an oppressive regime and doesn't seem to ne very welcoming to westerners or is that just my perception?:unsure:
Whereas Hong Kong ,chinese or not ,has a reputation for being an exciting stopover. It would be nice to stay somewhere where we could get our heads down but also do a little (very little!!) sightseeing. Doesn't have to be too exciting;) The price is still a prime consideration.
Thanks for your reply HNZ.

AnnieNell Aug 15th 2007 11:16 pm

My OH went to Shanghai on business for a few weeks last year. He had no problems at all. He found the Chinese very polite, friendly & helpful. He felt perfectly safe walking around Shanghai. The hotels he stayed in where modern & he had a good standard of service. Even though he was on business he wasn't being pampered, he flew economy etc.!

Hope this helps.

Annie x.

happynz Aug 15th 2007 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by jackietyfry (Post 5194033)
I wonder what its like to stopover (night) though. China seems such an oppressive regime and doesn't seem to me very welcoming to westerners or is that just my perception?:unsure:

I think it is just your perception. The reality is that Shanghai is one of the most dynamic fastest growing cities in the world. I'm not a big fan of China's government, but if I had a chance to visit Shanghai I'd take advantage of the opportunity.
Do what a Chinese person would do on holiday...eat drink eat drink eat drink...have your photo taken in front of some landmark...eat drink eat drink eat drink...and repeat.

:D

Karen2000 Aug 16th 2007 7:33 pm

Hi

My son visited Shanghai last year on holiday and he loved it ! He says he would definately go back again . Hope that helps , but I suppose what 1 person likes another may not .

Karen

jackietyfry Aug 16th 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone:thumbup: If we decide to go with that deal I will feel much better about the stopover. I am booking at the end of the month so I will see what deals are about then.
Cheers!

Shell2006 Aug 17th 2007 12:35 pm

My daughter is in Shanghai airport as I write this! She has flown China Eastern Airways via there to Sydney and is returning the same route in three weeks time, stopping over a night on the way back. I will get an update from her asap and let you know......

C&R Aug 17th 2007 1:16 pm

I lived in Shanghai for over 4 years, if you have any questions feel free to ask. As a stopover its great. Make sure you get picked up from the airport though, it just makes things easier. Remember, taxi drivers don't speak English. Its a fascinating city, one minute everything looks futuristic, then you take a turn down a little lane and you are back in the Shanghai days of old. Go to the parks early in the morning, and watch the ladies dancing, the men swinging swords around and the old men proudly showing off their birds in ornate cages hanging off the tree branches. Its an amazing place.

P2L Aug 18th 2007 5:25 am

Originally Posted by jackietyfry (Post 5199013)
Thanks everyone:thumbup: If we decide to go with that deal I will feel much better about the stopover. I am booking at the end of the month so I will see what deals are about then.
Cheers!

Hi Jackie

Although I haven't been via Shanghai I can recommend this hotel, if you want to push the boat out a bit.

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/propert...udongshangrila

Most airlines usually offer special deals on stopovers and the Shangri la Hotels are usually included.

HTH

jackietyfry Aug 18th 2007 8:20 am

Originally Posted by C&R (Post 5202243)
I lived in Shanghai for over 4 years, if you have any questions feel free to ask. As a stopover its great. Make sure you get picked up from the airport though, it just makes things easier. Remember, taxi drivers don't speak English. Its a fascinating city, one minute everything looks futuristic, then you take a turn down a little lane and you are back in the Shanghai days of old. Go to the parks early in the morning, and watch the ladies dancing, the men swinging swords around and the old men proudly showing off their birds in ornate cages hanging off the tree branches. Its an amazing place.

You certainly conjure up an interesting picture - so evocative! :thumbup:It would be great to just sit there and absorb the atmosphere. That is what we are looking for from our stopover - a chance to see a different culture, but I also need to feel safe cos that reduces my stress. My OH gets verrrrrrrry stressed when we travel - he likes to arrive whereas i enjoy the journey!
Cheers!

jackietyfry Aug 18th 2007 8:23 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 5205055)
Hi Jackie

Although I haven't been via Shanghai I can recommend this hotel, if you want to push the boat out a bit.

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/propert...udongshangrila

Most airlines usually offer special deals on stopovers and the Shangri la Hotels are usually included.

HTH

I checked out this site and it looks fab. Hope we can afford it! This would reduce stress levels all round no doubt. Starting to hope that the best deal is via Shanghai now, hope "Shell's" feedback is positive too!
Thanks everyone.

brussels_sprout Aug 18th 2007 9:57 am

Originally Posted by jackietyfry (Post 5205296)
I checked out this site and it looks fab. Hope we can afford it! This would reduce stress levels all round no doubt. Starting to hope that the best deal is via Shanghai now, hope "Shell's" feedback is positive too!
Thanks everyone.

Call me a running dog paper tiger, but a Chinese stopover ranks up there with anywhere MiddleEastern (Bagdad ?) as ones to avoid like the plague ! Imagine breathing through all that pollution for a start , the airport will be full of people spitting everywhere while eating evil smelling poodle and snake meals ! No, Singapore, Japan or Hong Kong are the only ones, i would step foot in

happynz Aug 18th 2007 11:59 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5205499)
Imagine breathing through all that pollution for a start , the airport will be full of people spitting everywhere while eating evil smelling poodle and snake meals!

:lol:

Hang on, are you sure you're not describing LAX?

jackietyfry Aug 18th 2007 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5205499)
Call me a running dog paper tiger, but a Chinese stopover ranks up there with anywhere MiddleEastern (Bagdad ?) as ones to avoid like the plague ! Imagine breathing through all that pollution for a start , the airport will be full of people spitting everywhere while eating evil smelling poodle and snake meals ! No, Singapore, Japan or Hong Kong are the only ones, i would step foot in

Where's your sense of adventure?;)