Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shall we, sharn't we?

Shall we, sharn't we?

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

RacheyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Shall we, sharn't we?

It's early days in the process for us (us being:me, hubbie and 18 month old twins) so we were considering going along to an Emigration fair. Has any one any experience of such events and are they worth the while? We need something to fuel our fire and hoped that this would quench our thirst for information. What do you think? They offer seminars that seem to promise all that is essential but will it be a sales pitch for relocation agencies?
Questions, questions

Thanks all.
Rachel
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:14 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shall we, sharn't we?

Originally Posted by RacheyB
It's early days in the process for us (us being:me, hubbie and 18 month old twins) so we were considering going along to an Emigration fair. Has any one any experience of such events and are they worth the while? We need something to fuel our fire and hoped that this would quench our thirst for information. What do you think? They offer seminars that seem to promise all that is essential but will it be a sales pitch for relocation agencies?
Questions, questions

Thanks all.
Rachel
Hi Rachel,

Welcome to the forum! There was a previous thread on these fairs and I will try and find it for you again if I can. There is a couple of fairs coming up in October in London and Manchester (we might be going to the Manchester one depending on what happens). If Pinkie Pie is about then she might be able to point you in the right direction as we have spoke about this before (if she hasn't already beat us to the post!)

If there is anything you need help on (don't be afraid if it sounds stupid!), there are lots of helpful people around here!

Cheers

Dave
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:04 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave and Lyns
Hi Rachel,

Welcome to the forum! There was a previous thread on these fairs and I will try and find it for you again if I can. There is a couple of fairs coming up in October in London and Manchester (we might be going to the Manchester one depending on what happens). If Pinkie Pie is about then she might be able to point you in the right direction as we have spoke about this before (if she hasn't already beat us to the post!)

If there is anything you need help on (don't be afraid if it sounds stupid!), there are lots of helpful people around here!

Cheers

Dave
Did I hear my name being mentioned???

Hi Rachel and Welcome to the forum...

The emigration fairs such as those advertised by Outbound Publishing etc are a good source of info gathering and NZIS usually have a stand there and you can go and have a chat with them in person if you can fight your way through the throng - their stand was the busiest at the York show in May!!!

The Seminars are ok too - we attended one and it was a guy from NZIS giving a bit of a talk and then open house questions which was quite informative...

There are a lot of agencies there but no hard sell - we certainly never felt any pressure from any one, and to be honest, the application procedure for NZ is fairly straightforward and there is no real need to use an agent unless you want to...

There are usually removal companies, bankers etc there and loads of leaflets to be had!! I came away with three carrier bags and a smile on my face and would say that there is nothing to be lost by going along for a looksee...

Just shout if you need to know anything at all Rachel, even if it seems daft, we are all in the same boat and someone on here usually knows the answers to most queries...
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:41 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Did I hear my name being mentioned???
PP - I knew you would hear

Anyway Rachel, I've found some NZ expos for you to have a look at.

There is one called Opportunities New Zealand Expo and the website is
www.expo-newzealand.com

They have got two coming up in October:

London at the IBIS hotel, Earls Court on the 15th to 16th October 2005

Manchester at the Jarvis Piccadilly Hotel on the 22nd to 23rd October 2005

Hope this helps

Dave
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the one at the Ibis last October. I thought it was quite informative, a good chance to talk to removal firms, banks etc. Also, loads of recrutiment agencies - I already had a probable job lined up, so not much use to me, but if you're job seeking then I'd say well worth it for this alone. Quite a few health services represented too, if you're in that sector. The only downer was it was so busy, it was difficult to get near some of the stands at times.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:53 am
Just Joined

AmyH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RacheyB
Questions, questions

Thanks all.
Rachel
Hi there,

This is a super late reply - but I would highly recomend the Opportunities Australia Expo at the end of October in Earls Court. Skills information, recruitment agencies, banks and pension transfers and of course DIMIA will be there too. I know there isnt a kiddy area but should be a friendly enough environment to keep them amused!

Might see you amoungst the crowd!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:56 am
Just Joined

AmyH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyH
Hi there,

This is a super late reply - but I would highly recomend the Opportunities Australia Expo at the end of October in Earls Court. Skills information, recruitment agencies, banks and pension transfers and of course DIMIA will be there too. I know there isnt a kiddy area but should be a friendly enough environment to keep them amused!

Might see you amoungst the crowd!

Umm yeah ignore the word "australia" and swap it for Opportunities NZ Expo! silly me!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Loxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmyH
Umm yeah ignore the word "australia" and swap it for Opportunities NZ Expo! silly me!

Cant find any info on this expo, had a look on Earls Court web site.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There you go.

http://www.smallworldmedia.co.nz/Come early or go late. Otherwise extremely busy busy.

what are you all hoping for at the expo?
Old Oct 1st 2005, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Loxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Apollo10
There you go.

http://www.smallworldmedia.co.nz/Come early or go late. Otherwise extremely busy busy.

what are you all hoping for at the expo?
Quite a lot realy, although we had a month in N Z in February were still not certain about where to live. We will have x amount from the house sale here and it would be nice to have no mortgage once out there so we would like a sensible priced place close to the sea. Some location advice would be nice.
We also could do with speaking to the NZIS. We have been to a couple of expo's and found them quite helpful.