Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

shaky city to Auz?

shaky city to Auz?

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all
Unhappy shaky city to Auz?

Hi All, im new to this forum !

So here is my dilemma in brief, Emigrated to Christchurch from Scotland with hubby Nov 2009 to live the dream, rented for a while and bought our dream home. Loved NZ way of life and the kiwis are fab. Our dream, now an nightmare as of the 4th Sep 2010, nearly 8000 quakes and counting, our garden city no more, all that we fell in love with destroyed and gone in seconds. So many uncertainties, so time to get out of here. Im a Registered Nurse and hubby and auto electrician and manufacturing engineer. We do not have NZ citizenship but have residency. Apparently because im a nurse i can move to Auz under the trans tasman recognition agreement and a 457 visa if i can get a sponsorship.

Basically has anyone done the trans tasman, as i keep being told i need citizenship but a health care agency told me different?

Also looking to move to Canberra, so would like some honest info on this and what suburbs are nice to stay. Dont want to live in city centre. So many areas ive looked at but confused? I know there is work there for me but is their work there for hubby? We will be sad to give up all we have here we have done so well in such a short time frame but our safety has to take precidence over materialistic things. Answers to my questions be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shaky city to Auz?

Welcome to BE Snazishaz.

The main Australia forums are here: Australia forums There are sub-forums there too including the immigration one which is the best place to enquire about visas etc...

The Australia forum is about lifestyle and the Barbie is for general chat.

The new Zealand forums are here: NZ Forums They also may be of help from people like yourself in NZ.

Please read the site rules too and any sticky threads at the top of each forum.

Hope you enjoy your stay and good luck.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jul 2nd 2011 at 11:46 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there...welcome to BE.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation...it must be heartbreaking for you and others living in the area. I fully understand your need to move to a more stable environment.

I will give you a few relevant links to help get you started on the forums.
It would be best if you could repost your questions about immigration to Australia in the Australia Immigration forum. Our regular members who frequent that forum will give help guide you through the immigration process. I recommend that you both take a look at the Working Abroad by Profession Forums...there is a dedicated Forum for nurses.

For tips and information about life in Down Under here are the link to our Australia and New Zealand Forums.

Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of useful info in there.

Before you begin posting please take time to read through the Site Rules and any stickied threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

We have a team of concierges to help new members find their way around the site. Kelli28 is the concierge for the Australia forums...and the concierge for the NZ forum is Vitalstatistix..

For all other concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. The mods for the Australia forums are Cresta57, Monneypenny20,, Sonlymewalter and Alistairboyle. The mods for the NZ forums are Bevs and Am Loolah.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and don't forget to shout out should you require any help.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 2nd 2011 at 11:46 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all

Thank You for your adivce i really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Welcome to BE Snazishaz.

The main Australia forums are here: Australia forums There are sub-forums there too including the immigration one which is the best place to enquire about visas etc...

The Australia forum is about lifestyle and the Barbie is for general chat.

The new Zealand forums are here: NZ Forums They also may be of help from people like yourself in NZ.

Please read the site rules too and any sticky threads at the top of each forum.

Hope you enjoy your stay and good luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you a lot of useful links provided i really appreciate your
help!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello there...welcome to BE.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation...it must be heartbreaking for you and others living in the area. I fully understand your need to move to a more stable environment.

I will give you a few relevant links to help get you started on the forums.
It would be best if you could repost your questions about immigration to Australia in the Australia Immigration forum. Our regular members who frequent that forum will give help guide you through the immigration process. I recommend that you both take a look at the Working Abroad by Profession Forums...there is a dedicated Forum for nurses.

For tips and information about life in Down Under here are the link to our Australia and New Zealand Forums.

Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of useful info in there.

Before you begin posting please take time to read through the Site Rules and any stickied threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

We have a team of concierges to help new members find their way around the site. Kelli28 is the concierge for the Australia forums...and the concierge for the NZ forum is Vitalstatistix..

For all other concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. The mods for the Australia forums are Cresta57, Monneypenny20,, Sonlymewalter and Alistairboyle. The mods for the NZ forums are Bevs and Am Loolah.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and don't forget to shout out should you require any help.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 3rd 2011 at 1:49 am. Reason: fixed Willmorised quotes
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 2:04 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Snazishaz

Feel for you and totally understand where you're coming from. Also glad you've found this place, which I'm sure you will find to be a huge source of information and support. There have been several threads in the NZ forums around the quakes, and if you pop over there you'll finds lots of other ex-pats who have experienced the whole gamut of life in and around the 'shaky city', and who are coping with the situation in many different ways - I know they'll be happy to discuss things with you if you feel the need.

Kia kaha
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Sorry that it's come to this for you. We bailed out of Christchurch last week as my husband was offered a job on the North Island which he accepted. We lived in Linwood, where are you in Christchurch ? Hope you get your visa & job offer sorted and feel happy in Canberra. Kia Kaha is all very well and is a nice sentiment but it wears thin after a while. If I kept getting told Kia Kaha after my house had been trashed (it hadn't, we rented & it was ok when we left) and was in limbo waiting for EQC/red/orange zone etc I would be just about ready to slap the next person who said it !
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snazishaz
Thank You for your adivce i really appreciate it.
You're welcome.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you a lot of useful links provided i really appreciate your
help!
You are very welcome.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Sorry that it's come to this for you. We bailed out of Christchurch last week as my husband was offered a job on the North Island which he accepted. We lived in Linwood, where are you in Christchurch ? Hope you get your visa & job offer sorted and feel happy in Canberra. Kia Kaha is all very well and is a nice sentiment but it wears thin after a while. If I kept getting told Kia Kaha after my house had been trashed (it hadn't, we rented & it was ok when we left) and was in limbo waiting for EQC/red/orange zone etc I would be just about ready to slap the next person who said it !
There's no need for that Debbi****. Kiwis are using these types of encouraging words to each other all the time at the moment & they will continue to do so for a long time to come .

For those looking in Kia Kaha - Be Strong.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All, im new to this forum !

So here is my dilemma in brief, Emigrated to Christchurch from Scotland with hubby Nov 2009 to live the dream, rented for a while and bought our dream home. Loved NZ way of life and the kiwis are fab. Our dream, now an nightmare as of the 4th Sep 2010, nearly 8000 quakes and counting, our garden city no more, all that we fell in love with destroyed and gone in seconds. So many uncertainties, so time to get out of here. Im a Registered Nurse and hubby and auto electrician and manufacturing engineer. We do not have NZ citizenship but have residency. Apparently because im a nurse i can move to Auz under the trans tasman recognition agreement and a 457 visa if i can get a sponsorship.

Basically has anyone done the trans tasman, as i keep being told i need citizenship but a health care agency told me different?

Also looking to move to Canberra, so would like some honest info on this and what suburbs are nice to stay. Dont want to live in city centre. So many areas ive looked at but confused? I know there is work there for me but is their work there for hubby? We will be sad to give up all we have here we have done so well in such a short time frame but our safety has to take precidence over materialistic things. Answers to my questions be greatly appreciated.
Sorry that your dreams have been turned to custard by the earthquakes Snazishaz. Must be awful to have to keep living with that.

Wanted to welcome you to BE & hope you find the answers to your questions. Have you thought of living elsewhere in NZ or have you had enough?

Best of luck with your plans. Hope to see you on the NZ forum too

Kia kaha
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Hi thanks for your reply, we are in Rolleston and although good sturdy ground compared to most still not dealing with this at all. My house has came through it all relatively well, couple of minor cracks here and there but had enough and like many feel there are to many uncertainties to continue life here, its so very sad as pre September i was so happy and settled, good luck with your new life in the North.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

sandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nicesandra arnott is just really nice

Hi thanks for your reply, we are in Rolleston and although good sturdy ground compared to most still not dealing with this at all. My house has came through it all relatively well, couple of minor cracks here and there but had enough and like many feel there are to many uncertainties to continue life here, its so very sad as pre September i was so happy and settled, good luck with your new life in the North.
Hi Snazishaz sorry to here your not coping to well i live in Rolleston too so i know what you mean we have been so lucky so far,but son and daughter in law are going to oz cause they carn;t cope either.And i think if i was a little bit younger i would do same all the best,ps feel free to call for chat if you want
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:13 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently because im a nurse i can move to Auz under the trans tasman recognition agreement and a 457 visa if i can get a sponsorship.

Hi Snazishaz- the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition registration process will allow you to register with the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Board through a shorter, simpler process than you had to undergo to nurse in NZ from the UK. Then you need a visa- I think with a job offer a 457 might be the quickest, but someone else can advise you on that I'm sure.

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Forms.aspx and download the Trans Tasman application pdf. The important thing is you must be registered in NZ when you apply.

Sorry for your troubles and I hope you find somewhere safe and secure for you and your family soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.