Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sex Education.....Texas style

Sex Education.....Texas style

Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:05 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sex Education.....Texas style

6.What do you think fathers have to offer a child that mothers do not?
Ask your mother

7. What do you think mothers have to offer that fathers do not?
Wait 'til your father gets home!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer
In the state where foreplay means a six pack followed by a quick grope in a pick up truck, what can be expected?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
So my son is 13 years old and in his freshman year at High School.
A letter was sent home at the beginning of the year explaining that the sex ed course they use is based on abstinence before marriage. We agreed to allow DS to participate but explained to him our views on the subject and discussed contraception, abortion etc. with him to bring him into the 21st century
Yesterday he came home with this:

Interview with Parent or Guardian

1. How many children do you have?

2. What are their ages and gender?

3.How old were you when you became a parent?

4.What was parenting like those first few years?

5.Why should teens wait until they are older before becoming a parent?

6.What do you think fathers have to offer a child that mothers do not?

7. What do you think mothers have to offer that fathers do not?

8.How expensive is it to raise a child?

9.What are some of the advantages of waiting until after marriage to have children?

10. Any other comments about parenting?

check out our web site: www.gracehouseministries.net

Now is it me or does anyone else think this a little intrusive?
Both my OH and myself discussed the questions with DS and I've signed the sheet giving an explanation that we have discussed the questions at home.
What happened to the separation of church and state?? Obviously doesn't apply in Texas
OMG!

This interview came from a public school? Why would you have to answer these questions?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The word "bastard" has a far more negative connotation here than in the UK. I have to keep reminding myself not to say it around my youngest because she repeated it in front of her dad. He was Not Pleased.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The word "bastard" has a far more negative connotation here than in the UK. I have to keep reminding myself not to say it around my youngest because she repeated it in front of her dad. He was Not Pleased.
I thought it was the other way around. I was amazed when I came to live here how often it's used on TV...particularly during the day. Maybe it's because it's a word I don't like and I don't use.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:45 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

It does? It had a pretty negative connotation round our way when we were growing up - I've never heard either my mum or dad say it...and I doubt my kids will ever hear me say it either....the only place you heard it was from the kids at school that thought they were being dead hard by calling someone one. Later on it maybe became a bit more acceptable if prefaced with "jammy", but only in certain circumstances/places (down the pub, on the pool table, at the nightclub when your best mate was leaving with the totty that we'd all thought was out of our league.....:curse
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:03 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought it was the other way around. I was amazed when I came to live here how often it's used on TV...particularly during the day. Maybe it's because it's a word I don't like and I don't use.
They must have said it a thousand times on _The Young Ones_. Especially about Neil.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:07 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

They must have said it a thousand times on _The Young Ones_. Especially about Neil.
LOL - yeah, but they did a lot of things on The Young Ones that I wouldn't try at home!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:30 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
LOL well I say H-E-double toothpick if I'm being funny. Otherwise I have a lovely repertoire of four letter words.

Swearing is considered more rude here I think. Big nono in front of children. Or in "polite" company, a party, whatever. In private. with family - I think many of us would swear. The less religious of us anyway.

I also wonder if it's a bit regional - I know some southern women who wouldn't say sh*t if they had a mouthful of it. I think perhaps we're more foul-mouthed up norh
I have had no problem on the "religious" swearing but I do NOT like defamatory use of words for female genitalia, and find it odd especially when it's applied to a man. Therein lies a cultural difference for me.