Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sex Education.....Texas style

Sex Education.....Texas style

Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sex Education.....Texas style

So my son is 13 years old and in his freshman year at High School.
A letter was sent home at the beginning of the year explaining that the sex ed course they use is based on abstinence before marriage. We agreed to allow DS to participate but explained to him our views on the subject and discussed contraception, abortion etc. with him to bring him into the 21st century
Yesterday he came home with this:

Interview with Parent or Guardian

1. How many children do you have?

2. What are their ages and gender?

3.How old were you when you became a parent?

4.What was parenting like those first few years?

5.Why should teens wait until they are older before becoming a parent?

6.What do you think fathers have to offer a child that mothers do not?

7. What do you think mothers have to offer that fathers do not?

8.How expensive is it to raise a child?

9.What are some of the advantages of waiting until after marriage to have children?

10. Any other comments about parenting?

check out our web site: www.gracehouseministries.net

Now is it me or does anyone else think this a little intrusive?
Both my OH and myself discussed the questions with DS and I've signed the sheet giving an explanation that we have discussed the questions at home.
What happened to the separation of church and state?? Obviously doesn't apply in Texas
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sex Education.....Texas style

Interesting. Well I don't personally have children, but I'm trying to think "If I did....".

The questions themselves are good ones I think. I don't think I'd find the questions intrusive - how many kids and how old etc. are pretty casual questions. The other questions are mostly asking you to offer your insights, not questions about your personal lives.

Perhaps they mean to gather them up, and have a general discussion with the kids. I suppose I do think, in general, having kids after you're grown up and married is the best. Although, of course, there are many good single parents and some who choose that path - hopefully after they're "grown up" though. So I don't think I personally have a problem with apparently proposed discussion.

Now... the fact that it comes with a church website attached - THAT I'd have a problem with. And if the discussion heads that way - morality of sex before marriage, etc. - then I'd have a huge problem.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Interesting. Well I don't personally have children, but I'm trying to think "If I did....".

The questions themselves are good ones I think. I don't think I'd find the questions intrusive - how many kids and how old etc. are pretty casual questions. The other questions are mostly asking you to offer your insights, not questions about your personal lives.

Perhaps they mean to gather them up, and have a general discussion with the kids. I suppose I do think, in general, having kids after you're grown up and married is the best. Although, of course, there are many good single parents and some who choose that path - hopefully after they're "grown up" though. So I don't think I personally have a problem with apparently proposed discussion.

Now... the fact that it comes with a church website attached - THAT I'd have a problem with. And if the discussion heads that way - morality of sex before marriage, etc. - then I'd have a huge problem.

Yes, I think it was the church web site that disturbed me the most and the fact that once we'd handed in the sheet with my son's name on they would then have our "views' in writing ..with no discussion of course about same sex relationships etc. etc. Also there were several men handing out Bibles (in the school's colours!!) on school grounds the other day.
Now I was [I]really[I] suprised that they were allowed to do that!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Yes, I think it was the church web site that disturbed me the most and the fact that once we'd handed in the sheet with my son's name on they would then have our "views' in writing ..with no discussion of course about same sex relationships etc. etc. Also there were several men handing out Bibles (in the school's colours!!) on school grounds the other day.
If I'd filled the thing in, I would have been tempted to add my views re. single parenting, gay/lesbian parents, etc. But you're right, then it's written down...

I don't know. Discussions about how it isn't the best plan to have kids when you're very young and single sounded ok on the surface. But if it's going to be coupled with a bunch of prejudice and religion, not so good.

Distributing bibles? Hmmm. Not sure what I think about that. Now, the school shouldn't be distributing bibles. Can they allow someone else to give a way literature? I'm not sure. I suppose it would depend, to me, if they allow solicitation in general. If they allow people outside the building to hand stuff out, then I guess bibles are ok - no law against them of course. If they're making a special exception - then I'd mind for sure.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a documentary on TV about this girl in TX who wanted to have sex ed in school. She started a committee to lobby the local school district. Her parents were 'religion on sleeve' Christians but they supported her efforts. Her pastor practically ostracized her. But during her journey she made friends with gay students too and her 'growth' was incredible. I have no idea if she succeeded or not.

There is no sex ed in schools in this county which I find appalling given half the senior year girls are pregnant. But to tie it in with Christian beliefs just goes right up my rear. I can't stand that.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
But to tie it in with Christian beliefs just goes right up my rear. I can't stand that.
Probably want to re-word that.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Probably want to re-word that.
Yep pun so NOT intended!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisa67
tbh lisa, after living here in Tx so long i'm not at all surprised.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:29 pm
Thought is free.

indigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TruBrit
tbh lisa, after living here in Tx so long i'm not at all surprised.
What if the kid was not from a family who practiced the Christian religion and refused to take the Bible?, would they be told that they were going straight to hell?!. I know that my daughter would just take it because she would not want to stand out and be different from the crowd.
Religion and sex ed should definately be kept seperate.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by indigoblue
What if the kid was not from a family who practiced the Christian religion and refused to take the Bible?, would they be told that they were going straight to hell?!. I know that my daughter would just take it because she would not want to stand out and be different from the crowd.
More than likely. The girl in the documentary was told she owuld go to hell numerous times, all because she dared to question.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree, they should be kept separate.

I think the handing out of bibles was occurring separately though, on the school grounds rather than inside the school.

I still am not thrilled though...

The folks with the bible might tell a kid they were going to hell - of course, that could happen on the street, answering the door to Jehovas Witnesses, etc. The point to me would be if this was endorsed/tolerated by the school (when they wouldn't allow other groups to do the same).
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i agree however like i said, i am not surprised.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yes i agree however like i said, i am not surprised.
I am not sure that handing out bibles on school grounds is tolerated here, let alone legal. However, when my step daughter was still in daycare I had to go in a 'sort' those folk out because they were giving 'bible study'. Ticked me right off as the daycare was NOT associated or affiliated with any church, the woman doing this was in her late 30's, toothless wonder with grandchildren already!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:46 pm
Thought is free.

indigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tracym
I agree, they should be kept separate.

I think the handing out of bibles was occurring separately though, on the school grounds rather than inside the school.

I still am not thrilled though...

The folks with the bible might tell a kid they were going to hell - of course, that could happen on the street, answering the door to Jehovas Witnesses, etc. The point to me would be if this was endorsed/tolerated by the school (when they wouldn't allow other groups to do the same).
Yep, you are right there TracyM.
Going slightly off topic - Is it just a Texan thing or do most Americans feel very uncomfortable saying the word, "hell"?. Instead, they say things like,"oh H-E- double hockeysticks" - I'm like, what? good grief!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep, you are right there TracyM.
Going slightly off topic - Is it just a Texan thing or do most Americans feel very uncomfortable saying the word, "hell"?. Instead, they say things like,"oh H-E- double hockeysticks" - I'm like, what? good grief!
LOL well I say H-E-double toothpick if I'm being funny. Otherwise I have a lovely repertoire of four letter words.

Swearing is considered more rude here I think. Big nono in front of children. Or in "polite" company, a party, whatever. In private. with family - I think many of us would swear. The less religious of us anyway.

I also wonder if it's a bit regional - I know some southern women who wouldn't say sh*t if they had a mouthful of it. I think perhaps we're more foul-mouthed up norh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.