Settling Teenagers

Settling Teenagers

Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

hollie00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Settling Teenagers

Hello All

Very new to this site

We are both waiting to hear for job offers, however we have a nearly 16 yr old daughter due to sit her exams in 09. Persuading her the move will be the best thing for her is a drag. However which area to choose is an even bigger dilema. We dont want to be in an area which is a complete culture shock for her and are opting for the bigger cities for decent colleges.

She has been working weekends for over 1 year in a hairdressers and has been paid for by the salon to go to a training college in the UK. We have searched the colleges and only find Auckland offering this.

Can anyone tell me if they offer the same in NZ or do we have to pay for the college courses out there or anyone had similar dilemmas with teenagers

Ali
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:40 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settling Teenagers

Hi

This site may help:
http://www.careers.govt.nz/default.a...103&id1=J44611

or this site from Weltec, the Wellington Institute of Technology.
http://www.hvp.ac.nz/hair-beauty/
Sorry it's Wellington based rather than Auckland but i am sure it is still ok.

I seem to recall (from chatting to my hairdressers and a couple of people i knew at the time) that often if a person was working for a salon it was quite normal to pay towards all or part of the tuition fees.

I do remember that hairdressing students had options as to whether they would do an intensive study period and then work as an apprentice OR chose to do a longer apprenticeship and study throughout it. No idea if that is still the case but i suspect (from what i have heard) that it is still pretty similar.

Perhaps you should contact one of the schools such as Weltec and ask their opinions?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Settling Teenagers

Hi there i was at the hairdressing competitions last year in Nelson (as a spectator) and they actually had a section in the competition for schoolgirls who had their own models.

I thought it was a great idea and am wondering if there is a study option at college for hairdressing.

I would also contact the polytech and enquire i do believe however that the fees are quite high for overseas students.
Hope this helps you a bit.
Cheers
Cally
Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Originally Posted by hollie00
Hello All

Very new to this site

We are both waiting to hear for job offers, however we have a nearly 16 yr old daughter due to sit her exams in 09. Persuading her the move will be the best thing for her is a drag. However which area to choose is an even bigger dilema. We dont want to be in an area which is a complete culture shock for her and are opting for the bigger cities for decent colleges.

She has been working weekends for over 1 year in a hairdressers and has been paid for by the salon to go to a training college in the UK. We have searched the colleges and only find Auckland offering this.

Can anyone tell me if they offer the same in NZ or do we have to pay for the college courses out there or anyone had similar dilemmas with teenagers

Ali
Hi Ali

We brought our daughter to Tauranga, once she had finished her exams, 9 months ago.
She is now studying in our local Poly Tech, (windermere) doing an animal care course which she has to do before she can go on to study being a vet nurse.
The local Poly does hairdressing Courses (Full time)
There are loads of hairdressing shops here, that to would give her an apprenticeship. I was one in the UK, and there are massive of Jobs here for hairdressers.
You will have to pay fees for Poly Tech, but it is not bad the costs, if you have residency.

Good Luck

Ju
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of places that have their own hairdressing academy for apprenticeships and courses;

The top notch national ones:

http://www.servillesacademy.co.nz/

http://www.rodneywayne.co.nz/default...8-17f2b2ef314a

Auckland only: http://www.toniandguy.co.nz/

Others:

http://www.headquarters.ac.nz/1.htm

In Christchurch: http://www.rubenblades.co.nz/

In Tauranga: http://www.hairtotrain.co.nz/intro/html/HairToTrain.htm
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

hollie00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You All.

The sites are great !!!

Do NZ have the goverment schemes there to ,Or do we have to pay because we are international students ?

I can only find one school in Auckland who offers youth training and this appears to be for low exam results and depends on scores...im lost

ali
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:50 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollie00
Thank You All.

The sites are great !!!

Do NZ have the goverment schemes there to ,Or do we have to pay because we are international students ?

I can only find one school in Auckland who offers youth training and this appears to be for low exam results and depends on scores...im lost

ali
Have you clarified that she is definitely an international student? I thought if she had residency then she would pay local fees? Or is that just for permanent residents? There are some scholarships available but you are probably best to contact the school/s directly about it - or someone else on this site may have some idea. I suspect if you are international then the grants etc probably wouldn't be available.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:11 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Have you clarified that she is definitely an international student? I thought if she had residency then she would pay local fees? Or is that just for permanent residents? There are some scholarships available but you are probably best to contact the school/s directly about it - or someone else on this site may have some idea. I suspect if you are international then the grants etc probably wouldn't be available.

If you have residency then you do NOT have to pay international student fees

HTH