Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Settled..unsettled.

Settled..unsettled.

Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settled..unsettled.

Originally Posted by simonsi
It will be all right in the end. If its not all right now, its because you aren't at the end yet.

Life is full of cycles and this will be one of them
Sage words. Life is indeed mercurial, that is why it is so much fun.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi DG, have followed your progress from South London with interest. Like me you are a stop at home mum ( I have fitted into this predominantly woman's world with worrying ease!!). I feel lucky that I can be at home whilst Kate persues her career and earning more than I probably could have.

I do need to look at how I can improve my lot here because we ain't going anywhere any time soon and I am cool with that in some ways because if only for low population density NZ is awesome!!

Life is indeed a compromise and all places will have their bug bears. We have everything we need here and a little more (apart from UK friends and family and the odd ancient building.......and roads with median strip, and cheap cars, and M&S and great food supermarkets, etc, etc).

I do accept NZ is a great place to be for our family as a whole. I just miss stuff right now. We have an 8 week trip booked come Xmas 2014 so will look forward to that and in the mean time will enjoy all the wonders that NZ has to offer us....which are manifold.
Yes, if we ever go back it will not be to London, that is certain. I remember feeling very unsettled the first year I was in the UK so am hoping that with time I settle back in. Not sure if the missing family thing will go away or abate so that is not so raw, only time will tell and then decisions will be made I think.

Off to enjoy this beautiful Autumn day - Dunners is stunning today!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Well, I have been here for two years in 2 weeks and I still don't miss my charmed life back in the UK.

I cannot see myself going back because I miss material things, but that's just me.

You know in your heart where you want to be.. I'm sure you have done the hard yard..Another change can't be too hard can it...

Just enjoy it.. Your a long time looking at your lid eh..
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Firestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura about

Just a quick observation may be way off base , but reading back thro peoples posts , a lot of the most settled individuals seem to ride bikes of the motorised variety ,or at least have some outside interest . Personally i'm counting the days till nxt wednesday till i leave the UK hopefully for the last time and then the counting starts again till our bikes arrive As i say just an observation,,,,,
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Firestorm333
................................. . Personally i'm counting the days till nxt wednesday till i leave the UK hopefully for the last time and then the counting starts again till our bikes arrive As i say just an observation,,,,,
You wont be so happy when you see how much your bike rego costs.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Firestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura about

Now come on lets not shatter the illusions so soon , as i sit here in sunny m/c watchin the snow flurries out of the window . A little bit of pain in the wallet has got to be better than snow in spring
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:11 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
You wont be so happy when you see how much your bike rego costs.
Take your running costs UK and then NZ and divide by the actual number of days when riding is even possible/enjoyable and I promise you FS you will be well in pocket......
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Sanity at last Stormer , i use my bike every day can't stand the car , but would prefer to have at least some sun One of the main reasons for our move was our bikes and enjoyment of , financial was way down the list . i mean to say i work in construction which is on it's arse here . So a novelty for me to have full time work and knowing i'm gonna get paid on friday So if OH and myself can get out on the weekend on our bikes BONUS....
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

If your bikes are 601cc or over rego'll cost you $521.21 ... that's nearly double that for a car ... bloody rip off! It is good biking country though.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Ah well just have to tan the overtime
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 7:30 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Me and wifey both run Street Triples...yes rego is expensive but insurance and fuel isn't, roads are made for bikes, if it rains the roads dry out in less than 1 hour, no salt, no muck so hardly ever have to wash the things, no oncoming traffic so overtaking is instant (thats if you actually come behind a vehicle) sun is higher in the sky so less glare......downside......gets hot wearing leathers.....can you remember that...... Used to have a Firestorm...silver with high level MIG cans.......made for these roads.....come on in...
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I have bikes of the non motorised variety. If I can be a cyclist in this stupid ass country and
1) stay alive amid crazy driving and dangerous roads
2) Still manage to ride in a country where it snows in spring and you don't get a summer

then I am sure I will survive in New Zealand.

Three weeks today
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Nice one OH loves the street triple Me i love the Vtwin stick with Honda' cause at least they start as appose to italian look pretty spend more time being fixed . I'm coming first Oh to follow , stuff being shipped in June so should be sorted for summer , seems a long way away now as the snow is horizontal here But we can't wait to get out and explore new tyre's and all that before being packed away Happy days
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by M_and_M
I have bikes of the non motorised variety. If I can be a cyclist in this stupid ass country and
1) stay alive amid crazy driving and dangerous roads
2) Still manage to ride in a country where it snows in spring and you don't get a summer

then I am sure I will survive in New Zealand.

Three weeks today
Good luck with the move . Hope u feel a bit better in ur mind now . If ur anything like me ..onward and upward as they say
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:32 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Firestorm333
, stuff being shipped in June so should be sorted for summer ,
June is winter here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.