Reload this Page >

Serious crime in NZ/New Plymouth

Serious crime in NZ/New Plymouth

Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Flopsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Serious crime in NZ/New Plymouth

Hi
This is the first time I have posted on here - have been a lurker in the forum shadows for some time
My husband and I had decided to try and move our family to NZ and were thinking possibly New Plymouth.
However, at the weekend I had a read online of some NZ newspapers and was astounded at the number of serious crime reports, ie. murder, problems with violent gangs etc.
I would be interested to hear what people's views are on the levels of crime in NZ and particularly New Plymouth?
Thanks,
Flopsy
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:57 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serious crime in NZ/New Plymouth

There are some threads on this subject but basically if you look at the stats, the levels of crime in NZ are about on par with the UK (up in some areas like drug use, and down in others).

However perhaps unlike the UK, crime appears to be more localised.

I don't live in New Plymouth so can't comment on specifics however imho if you pick your suburb / area with a little care the perceived level of crime feels lower than the UK.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Secong the above. I experienced very little crime in the UK (I got randomly punched on Union Street in Plymouth once but that's a rite of passage for a sailor), and have experienced none here apart from seeing the odd bit of tagging. I don't think it should be a major factor in choosing whether to immigrate.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We have been living in New Plymouth for the past 4 months and haven't seen anything to be worried about. I feel pretty safe here walking around town in the daytime and evening. That murder in the news last week didnt happen in New Plymouth, the murder happened elsewhere and then they dump the body in New Plymouth.
J
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Flopsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your responses, guys.
As we have two children, aged 11 and 8, we particularly need to look into this sort of thing.
Where we are in the UK, there is very little crime - we never lock the car and have never locked our backdoor.
(Probably come home and find the car and house gone tonight )
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

imagine reading the british papers from another nationalities viewpoint and what would you make of them.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by karron
imagine reading the british papers from another nationalities viewpoint and what would you make of them.
I couldn't agree more, not sure I would want to migrate here if I lived elsewhere!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Hi,

We have been living in New Plymouth for the past 4 months and haven't seen anything to be worried about. I feel pretty safe here walking around town in the daytime and evening. That murder in the news last week didnt happen in New Plymouth, the murder happened elsewhere and then they dump the body in New Plymouth.
J
I reckon NP has to be one of the more benign places to live in NZ in terms of crime. Never comes over as a hotspot like South Aukland does and indeed as Palmy does now and then. I would certainly reside there if I didn't have 5 years of roots here. Finally crime and nasty crime can happen anywhere anytime. Nowhere is immune from mit some places just get more of their fair share. NP does not seem to be one of the latter.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:24 am
Just Joined

gavin1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, me and my partner have been living in new plymouth for about 9 months, it feels really safe not intimidating at all. Pretty much all the suburbs seem safe, maybe motoroa near the port is a little more shady but certainly not unsafe. We live in strandon/fitzroy area near the beach, a bit more expensive but we feel its worth it for location. All in all a lovely place to live and with mt egmont in your view most days thats really nice, especially in winter when its caked in snow!!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

kooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to all

crime in nz is always going to be a can of worms, all depending where you live and if you have been personally been affected by it. i for one have. however it could of been avoided, i was a victim of an oportunist in tauranga. some people are naive enough to think that nz is crime free which is not by a long way, however like previously mentioned, is relative to the population compared to the uk. in five years a have had my car broken into and took my camera/ had a fuel tank full of fuel stolen from my boat and had a headlamp broken by a thug with a bottle in the early hours of the morning. unfortunately crime is a fact of life all over the world and you have to accept it
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

go where the gangs are and there will be crime.
i'm in cambridge in the waikato and the crime column
in the local paper each week is usually a small pub fight,
half a dozen drink drivers and a couple of burgulary's.
Not bad for a town with around 17000 people.
I see cars parked in the main street with windows wide open
because of the heat and have not heard of anything "serious" happening.
Hamilton however, 25k up the road is a different story. still not as bad as
the small town i left in the uk though
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/
Do some research.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Riverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Serious crime in NZ/New Plymouth

We have been in the NP area since June-ish last year. We were first in Spotswood and met the nicest people.
We have a 7 and 14 year old, who walked to school, although the little one was "guided", but both loved both the school and the area. We have now moved to Inglewood, where we have bought a house, and again absolutely no probs.
Nick
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:07 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I've noticed, over the last couple of years, of scouring the NZ Herald and a few local papers, is that not a lot happens in NZ. With a low population, news is on the thin side and so when something 'significant' does happen, it's splashed over all the press. How many muggings, stabbings, murders, etc happen in the UK? There are so many, most of us ignore them unless they are local to us. Car crime is so rife, it doesn't even get reported, yet when I was in NZ in April last year, there was a half page story dedicated to the fact that 5 cars were broken into, in one night, on the North Shore!

The advice is simple, do a little research and stay away from the really cheap to buy or cheap to rent areas....
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:24 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flopsy
Thanks for your responses, guys.
As we have two children, aged 11 and 8, we particularly need to look into this sort of thing.
Where we are in the UK, there is very little crime - we never lock the car and have never locked our backdoor.
(Probably come home and find the car and house gone tonight )
Wow! I think where I live if I left the car or house unlocked they would gone in 60 seconds !

Car got stolen NYE, they burgaled friends house and stole our car keys... nice people eh.

My parents live in Orewa, Auckland and they make me laugh when they tell me front page news was someones hanging basket being robbed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.