Separation

Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Keeny69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seperation

Thanks some helpful advice, do you guys feel a lawyer is a must. Or do I have faith in the family court. Can I get a lawyer for free.? I am in Nelson any one know of a good lawyer for this type of case, that if i have to pay for is reasonable, last thing i need is to what little money i have, because i will need to rebuild my life again?

Also I think she is going to get a court order so We can not take boys out of country, I am not too sure about this and I dont feel comfortable about it?

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keeny69
Thanks some helpful advice, do you guys feel a lawyer is a must. Or do I have faith in the family court. Can I get a lawyer for free.? I am in Nelson any one know of a good lawyer for this type of case, that if i have to pay for is reasonable, last thing i need is to what little money i have, because i will need to rebuild my life again?

Also I think she is going to get a court order so We can not take boys out of country, I am not too sure about this and I dont feel comfortable about it?

Thanks
Citizen's Advice Bureau will help with good advice - there should be a solicitor doing pro bono but only at certain times, ask them when he/she is on and go then.
There is legal aid but only if you're not working. Your kids will get a lawyer appointed by the Family Court at no cost.
You can speak for yourself at the Family Court and I think this can be advantageous.
The court order for not taking the boys out of the country (or Nelson area) is fairly standard and protects you as well as her.
Good luck, it is hard for you but like the other guy said you must look to the future (he just didn't say it very well).
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:23 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Aww mate, I'm going through the separation ffrom Hell and it's so bloody horrible.

Although it was my decision that the marriage was over, it's now been 14 months and is still grim. Only this week there's been words and the lawyers are back on to it.

You don't need a lawyer if she is prepared to be reasonable. Which from the sound of it she isn't. Is there any reason why she would go to the family courts and your access not to have been arranged at the same time, this seems very odd. Why would you not have moved out and in to your own place and then said "ok, I'll have the kids at the weekend, blah, blah, blah?" and she say fine? Why would she not want them to have a relationship with you? She sounds like she's influencing the kids and controlling the situation. My ex hasn't bothered with his kids much... You have rights and should be ascertaining these asap. My ex also went for trying to stop me from removing the kids from the country. He could get a fast track court appointment and go before a Judge, I don't think you would necessarily know about it. BUT, unless she could show a reasonable amount of fear that the kids would be a "threat to flee" (i.e: You wouldn't bring them back, return them) it would be 50:50. I was told my ex wouldn't get the order because they live with me and he sees them so sporadically.

You can sort all your assets and money yourselves and/or by way of signing a separation agreement, you can do this as soon as you like. NZ law is "No Fault Divorce" and the assets are usually split 50:50. My lazy arse ex and his new girlfriend will do very well. You don't need a lawyer for this, but they need to be signed by one.

You can't get divorced for 2 years.

Mine looks like it's going to court just to sort out who gets what and what it's worth. There'll be nothing left in our pot by the time the lawyers have had their fill.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Separation

Hi there Keeny69 and welcome to our wee community.

I think your Mum & Dad Mick&Linda started a thread on here ( click on the linky) a while back coz they were so concerned for you.

Sorry to read that 'talks' have broken down.

On the other thread I suggested the Community Law Centre in Nelson.

Use them to source a good family lawyer in the area. I've used them for summat else and they really are very helpful.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by masky
How long do you expect to live? 90? 110? 135?

Go ahead and enjoy your life buddy...10 years from now you'll be feeling terrible if you miss even one day of your today's life. Take a look at people with nasty diseases; say thank god for your health, book a luxurious junket and enjoy the moment.
why would anyone think this kind of comment is helpful ? what a moron
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

I don't have much advice and sorry to hear you are in this situation. What I will add to what the others have recommended is to stay patient and start saving every penny which I know is the last thing you wish to hear. The processes are long and drawn out and child support is crippling unless you can reach a good agreement between yourselves. Mediation is normally the next stage if you cannot resolve it between yourselves but even this takes time, money and normally requires counselling as part of the process.

If you can achieve it at all try and get an amicable agreement even for child support, what you pay through the state system and what the children receive often is different...

Good luck and stay strong for your children.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello I am looking for some advice in a sticky situation I am in.
My partner of 16 years and wife of near 10 years has out of the blue wants to separate from me. We moved to NZ just over 3 years ago with my 2 boys now 6 and 8 years of age. I have tried to reason with her to no success and she has been doing all the stuff behind the sense such as child support, and benefits stuff, she seems to be able to get all the free advice from community law and I get no help. I have been forced out of our rented property, she taken 1/2 the money, and at the moment day to day care of the boys. She has gone to family court and we did counselling, but she seems to be in such tunnel vision and is very defensive, which make it hard to get any type of sense out of situation. I am living with a friend at the moment. What I really asking from anyone out there is what can I do, my wife is a lost soul, but I need to have the boys in my life as much as possible, but it seems everything is going for her, already child support has rang me up saying how much I have to pay? I have not even had any say? I feel I at least should get my boys 50%, after all I feel I have done no wrong in my relationship, yet because she is unhappy, she has torn my family apart. Please help, Thank you in advance.
Hi there, no advice I'm afraid but hope you get everythng sorted out without too much more heartache. Your children will come through this as long as they know you love them. Good luck Bevissa
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry mate.
Wish I could offer much practical advice, but I dont think I can.
This is a nightmare scenario that could happen to any of us expat couples with kids at any time, and god only knows what you do.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keeny69. Really sorry to read about your situation, hope you have had a chance to check with a solicitor about your position. Legal back up can be invaluable your wife will be reasonable about this so the kids don't get too badly upset. Do you have any other family close by to support you? Horrible situation to be in, really feel for you.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:18 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I don't have any advice to give but just wanted to wish you courage & luck during this stressful time.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kija
Sorry, I don't have any advice to give but just wanted to wish you courage & luck during this stressful time.
I second that
Old Jul 7th 2011, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hello I am looking for some advice in a sticky situation I am in.
My partner of 16 years and wife of near 10 years has out of the blue wants to separate from me. We moved to NZ just over 3 years ago with my 2 boys now 6 and 8 years of age. I have tried to reason with her to no success and she has been doing all the stuff behind the sense such as child support, and benefits stuff, she seems to be able to get all the free advice from community law and I get no help. I have been forced out of our rented property, she taken 1/2 the money, and at the moment day to day care of the boys. She has gone to family court and we did counselling, but she seems to be in such tunnel vision and is very defensive, which make it hard to get any type of sense out of situation. I am living with a friend at the moment. What I really asking from anyone out there is what can I do, my wife is a lost soul, but I need to have the boys in my life as much as possible, but it seems everything is going for her, already child support has rang me up saying how much I have to pay? I have not even had any say? I feel I at least should get my boys 50%, after all I feel I have done no wrong in my relationship, yet because she is unhappy, she has torn my family apart. Please help, Thank you in advance.
Keeny has your wife got a protection order ? I only ask because that will define the kind of advice you need.

http://www.justice.govt.nz/courts/family-court/
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

melanieanne63 is an unknown quantity at this point

I come on this site forbhelp and advise and will continue to do so over the next few months, I am sure.... I am absolutely astonished of the lack of sensitivity in this post... the thread was put on here asking for advise as to what step s should be taken and what steps can be taken, as a migrant it must be diffocultbto find you way about the legalities of situations people think they will never need.....
Masky, you have either had you sensitivity bone removed or alternatively are truly incapable of reading the context of the original thread, you posts are far less inspirational then you would like to believe but rather rude in nature, leave your comments of hope to yourself.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melanieanne63
I come on this site forbhelp and advise and will continue to do so over the next few months, I am sure.... I am absolutely astonished of the lack of sensitivity in this post... the thread was put on here asking for advise as to what step s should be taken and what steps can be taken, as a migrant it must be diffocultbto find you way about the legalities of situations people think they will never need.....
Masky, you have either had you sensitivity bone removed or alternatively are truly incapable of reading the context of the original thread, you posts are far less inspirational then you would like to believe but rather rude in nature, leave your comments of hope to yourself.
Don't tar us all with the same brush, you'll see his was the only post in such a vein.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Keeny69, you've had some really excellent advice from others (+ a Troll's input!). I can't offer you anything further but just wanted to wish you well & I'm so sorry that you are going through this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.