Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Separated from my children so now wish to emigrate to NZ - How?

Separated from my children so now wish to emigrate to NZ - How?

Old Sep 20th 2015, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Sect172 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Separated from my children so now wish to emigrate to NZ - How?

Hi guys, I've been lurking about on here for a while but I haven't found the answers I'm looking for, hence I'm joining the posting community!

My ex wife has moved to NZ with my two girls (7&5) - with my approval, as I can see the lifestyle there is so fantastic for kids to grow up in. She is on a partnership visa, as she is in a relationship with a Kiwi guy. They've been there almost a year now, and my girls are thriving beyond what I would even have hoped for.

I've been over twice to visit and I have been utterly blown away with the country - I guess many of you here will completely get that! I'm now exploring the options I have to make it over to NZ personally, because as much as I'm delighted at how my girls have settled, I miss them horribly, and beyond that as I say, I think the country is awesome.

I am struggling to see how I can manage to move though. The headlines are this:-
I'm 39, and a cop in the UK with over 10 years' service, and have a number of skills I have acquired over my time working.
Prior to the Police I was a retail sales manager for 5 years and with a fair degree of success.
I have a diploma level qualification in French, and both certificate and diploma in Policing.

I looked at transferring to NZ Police as being my most obvious option, however their direct recruitment from the UK stopped some years ago, and I could only now apply if I had NZ residency.

I am prepared to look at a wholesale career change, and am in the process of tweaking my CV, contacting companies direct as well as chambers of commerce etc, but that's a bit of a scattergun approach.

I am wondering if anyone else has any similar experience/guidance/pitfalls to watch out for etc - any guidance would be massively appreciated.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 3:55 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Separated from my children so now wish to emigrate to NZ - How?

Hi.

I have altered the thread title to better reflect your query.

I believe that Corrections Officers are needed here in NZ and that the Corrections Department is on the list of NZIS accredited employers.

Just a thought but this could be your way in for NZ residency.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Has to be asked. . .

Have you discussed your move with your ex
How does she feel about it and how will it effect your kids.
Theres usually a reason someone wants to move half way
around the world

I know how it feels, both my kids are back in the UK.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, we were UK cops as well, both virtually left school and joined. We don't have any degrees etc just a wealth of experience writhing the police force.
Unfortunately this means absolutely nothing to immigration and on the point system we got 40
NZ police do not recruite overseas and even now that I have residency here I would have to go back to core shift work etc.
The only way we could do it was applying for jobs. We applied for everything even if is said residents only and eventually one of hubby's interviews have him a job. We then got issued a work to resident visa and after two years applied and got residency visas. Feel free to message if you want more details. Good luck
Old Sep 24th 2015, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Sect172 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies so far. Justcol, yep fair question. I have discussed it and whilst not going into our circumstances I was supportive of her move there as I trusted her views on what it would be like for the girls. She would happily have me out here. When I visit I stay with them, so there are no issues there at all. But I get why you'd ask the question.
Moonie2011, your reply gives me a little glimmer of hope, and I know exactly where you were at!! I may take you up on the offer to message you. I'm back to NZ on 16 Jan so I want to make it (as well as a fab time with my girls) a profitable trip and see if I can make some opportunities for myself.
Bevs, thank you too - you've given me food for thought...
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:54 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Was it the ride in the Honda that sold NZ to you?