Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sending a valuable parcel from UK to NZ

Sending a valuable parcel from UK to NZ

Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all
Default Sending a valuable parcel from UK to NZ

Hi,
Wondered if anyone could help me with this, I have been left some medals and they are in the UK, my mother is scared they will get lost if she sends them in the post, in fact she thinks it would be better to send them surface mail as she thinks sending them by ship is safer. She has said that if I can find out a safe way of sending them over to me she will pack them up at her end but I will have to take responsibilty for them if they get lost!
So does anyone know of a safe way of sending these things? I dont know how heavy they are but they cant be that much as they would have been worn on a uniform.
I look forward to your suggestions but I have a feeling that you will say just send them Royal Mail and forget about them getting lost.
Thanks.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending a valuable parcel from UK to NZ

Originally Posted by terrier2 View Post
Hi,
Wondered if anyone could help me with this, I have been left some medals and they are in the UK, my mother is scared they will get lost if she sends them in the post, in fact she thinks it would be better to send them surface mail as she thinks sending them by ship is safer. She has said that if I can find out a safe way of sending them over to me she will pack them up at her end but I will have to take responsibilty for them if they get lost!
So does anyone know of a safe way of sending these things? I dont know how heavy they are but they cant be that much as they would have been worn on a uniform.
I look forward to your suggestions but I have a feeling that you will say just send them Royal Mail and forget about them getting lost.
Thanks.
Hi

You could try asking if anyone is coming out soon from this website to your area and ask them nicely if they would bring them if your mum got the medals to them! Otherwise I expect they would be fine with Royal Mail - just make sure you mum gets them insured and have them signed for.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl View Post
Hi

You could try asking if anyone is coming out soon from this website to your area and ask them nicely if they would bring them if your mum got the medals to them! Otherwise I expect they would be fine with Royal Mail - just make sure you mum gets them insured and have them signed for.
Sorry to say I would not trust bog standard Royal Mail - have relatives that work for them and they say theft is rife Also recently I sent a couple of parcels from Scotland to NZ while I was back there one arrived the other one did not. They were not sent via courier just plain old regular mail. They have also recently convicted a Postie down in Christchurch of stealing 1500 letters etc. Never had any problems with tracked and courier parcels / mail.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrier2 View Post
Hi,
Thanks.
I would use UPS of a similar company, I would not trust royal mail with it, you can book UPS on line and pay for it upfront and the whole thing is easily tracked on line
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:05 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby often gets expensive items for son's go-kart from Europe, they are cheaper to buy there and then get shipped over. As you say, they are safer coming by container than flying. Which I found very surprising, but that's what he's been told so that's what he does?! I shall ask him how and who when I see it. That means I'll have to speak to him once today ...
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:04 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

As they are irreplaceable, I'd use FedEx.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

My gran is always sending me stuff over via royal mail and nothing went Awol yet

also i am always ordering scrapbook stuff from the usa and there normal 1st class mail gets here every time np

its just a chance you take, while mail ok for next clothes etc to be sent , if its something that is so precious i doubt i would take the risk.Ups are always good i think
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all

Hi,
Thanks for your replies, it looks like UPS is going to be the way to go but I dont really want to open an account as I probably wont need to use the service again.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I have sent numerous things to my daughter via the Post Office using Parcel Force you can pay for tracking so that you can see every step of the way. It is also insured and has to be signed for at the other end.

http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw...?catId=7500082