Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sending money..UK-NZ.. Advice required..

Sending money..UK-NZ.. Advice required..

Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Sending money..UK-NZ.. Advice required..

Hello All,
So after two years of being here and having split from the ex who is still in the UK, i need to send say 60k GBP over to NZ.
I will be going back in a few months to bring my Lad back to NZ with me.

How is the best way to send it out?
I don't need it in one go, So would that allow me to not be taxed etc when moving it.
How did you do it if you have?

Im not sure how it all works so the more advice the better.. Thanks.

Thanks all.

Regards, Gary.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:05 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending money..UK-NZ.. Advice required..

we used HiFx, very easy, quick and free on amounts over ??? (can't remember but think it was 5K). we could only move 10k a day as that was all Barclays would allow us to take out. HiFx use Barclays Bank in UK to transfer over to your own bank in NZ.
Can not fault them and they were extremely efficient when I neglected to put the reference in the email for the transfer and called me back within 10min to say they had found the transaction and all would good ahead as planned.
Highly recommend
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:19 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I've used xe.com. There will be a trade limit, so you may have to contact them to negotiate a higher amount. I have a vague recollection that my trade limit was about GBP8000, but that was because I hadn't supplied ID. I just did two smaller trades. It was very easy transferring between my bank account in the UK and in NZ. When I first looked into this a few years back it was way cheaper than using banks (and easier).

I can't see why it would be taxed if it is not income. I'm assuming it's sale of assets.

Last edited by jmh; Feb 20th 2013 at 6:21 am.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:25 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about it, my first trade was through HiFx and the beauty of it was you could just use your UK debit card to pay for the amount you are sending. With xe.com you have to actually transfer them the money. It's an extra step if you are unsure. But subsequently xe.com's rate was better so worth the extra effort to me. I had to talk to them over the phone over an issue (their staff error) and they were fine.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:21 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can try www.tranzfers.com - or any of the associated companies.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:18 pm
Vendor

MRam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

When shopping around ensure that you are getting the best rate from an FSA authorised foreign exchange provider. Typically, a foreign exchange broker's rate can be up to 4% better than the banks.

I'm from Halo Financial, a British Expats vendor/advertiser, so if you are interested in finding out how we can help you then send me a private message. Otherwise, just ensure you use a trusted broker with segregated client accounts, that is FSA authorised.

You can find our FX news and emigration forum area HERE

Hope that helps
Mark
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I've used Halo a few times, I've twice moved some money over from the UK to NZ and it was easy. Although peed off when having to move a little back the other way to purchase something from the UK as ANZ hit me with charges to send the money electronically. Added to the fees from Halo, was I any better off than just using a bank for the whole process?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Wessa.

Lovely that your lad is coming to NZ with you on your return.

I've used NZ forex several times now& would recommend their service.

Quick . Easy . Very competitive.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
we used HiFx, very easy, quick and free on amounts over ??? (can't remember but think it was 5K).
over 3k
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jmh
Thinking about it, my first trade was through HiFx and the beauty of it was you could just use your UK debit card to pay for the amount you are sending. .
I never saw that option and had to transfer after I'd bought, with HIFX, so maybe it's changed
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Freshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really nice

Hello All, I am reading this thread for future reference but I would say before you use your bank debit card for sending money just check your banks fee. I have worked for many years in a UK bank and can tell you that these transactions ( buying money) can equate to charges for the transaction by the bank. Can't comment on all banks but would advise you to check. It's the same as buying foreign currency at an exchange in your own country, they can apply fees like an ATM withdrawal. Better to withdraw the cash or transfer then no unnecassary charges (obviously I am not telling you to withdraw large amounts of cash just pointing out its the same as buying currency in your Uk from your current account, most banks charge you for the privilage)

Last edited by Freshhorizons; Feb 21st 2013 at 2:42 am.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:02 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by julesnye
I never saw that option and had to transfer after I'd bought, with HIFX, so maybe it's changed
Could well have done. I'm talking of about 3 years ago, so they may have changed the rules.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 5:26 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Would a UK bank do a rate shave on an IMT for 60k?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all for the advice.
Im guessing i ill have to sort it out soon. Just I've got a few options now eh.

So is there some trick to getting the best transfer rate?
Also would you shift the money in one go or do a few transfers?.

Thanks again.

Oh Bevs.. Can't wait.. The bigger picture is finally working out.

Regards, Gary..
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Can only speak for myself Gaz.
I'd shift in one go. One fee and all your dosh in one place.

Getting the best rate can mean a few phone calls to the banks and forex people. Usual best price bargaining. So-and-so offered me this . Can you best it?

With online NZforex the fee is set there on the site for you to see. You can still phone them though.

Right pain innit .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.