British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   selling houses in uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/selling-houses-uk-378632/)

brackley Jun 10th 2006 5:49 pm

selling houses in uk

havn't been on the site for the last week as have been feeling really down after our house sale fell through the week before contracts were to be signed. it has been 9 weeks since they wanted the property. have to put things on hold. oh was supposed to be going out on 12th july as contracts were due to be signed next week and moving out the house 30th june. anyway some good news for anyone who may be in the unfortunate position as us, is, if the buyers have gone so far down the line of purchasing your property, if you find another buyer, they can purchase the survery and serches on your property so your house may go through quicker.

one other question, our last time to enter nz is 5th october, if i explain to our immigration officer, will they extend for a few weeks to give us some more time? if anyone has been through the same experience as this please let me know. many thanks

waynepfry Jun 10th 2006 7:16 pm

Re: selling houses in uk

Originally Posted by brackley
havn't been on the site for the last week as have been feeling really down after our house sale fell through the week before contracts were to be signed. it has been 9 weeks since they wanted the property. have to put things on hold. oh was supposed to be going out on 12th july as contracts were due to be signed next week and moving out the house 30th june. anyway some good news for anyone who may be in the unfortunate position as us, is, if the buyers have gone so far down the line of purchasing your property, if you find another buyer, they can purchase the survery and serches on your property so your house may go through quicker.

one other question, our last time to enter nz is 5th october, if i explain to our immigration officer, will they extend for a few weeks to give us some more time? if anyone has been through the same experience as this please let me know. many thanks

hi brackley
sorry no advice, but wish you well, dread the estate agent phoning always think the worst!!!!
will watch for the replies just in case all the luck in the world
jane the other half

Liz & Co Jun 10th 2006 8:53 pm

I'm so sorry, you must be feeling dreadful - open a bottle of wine, preferably a New Zealand one, it always helps me!!

We have a buyer for our house, I hope it all goes well. I will be moving to Tauranga with our 3 boys in September and leaving my husband to 'clear up' with our daughter who takes her last GCSE on 22nd June.

I hope you find a new buyer.

Alison1967 Jun 10th 2006 9:21 pm

Sounds like you'll have to do a validation trip, I don't think they extend visa's best of luck getting another buyer though.

Ali

waynepfry Jun 10th 2006 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
I'm so sorry, you must be feeling dreadful - open a bottle of wine, preferably a New Zealand one, it always helps me!!

We have a buyer for our house, I hope it all goes well. I will be moving to Tauranga with our 3 boys in September and leaving my husband to 'clear up' with our daughter who takes her last GCSE on 22nd June.

I hope you find a new buyer.

hi liz & co
my daughter is taking her GCSE before we go,will wait for the results before we go fingers cross.
we now can not drink any other wine except NZ,its lovely :)
we have to leave off the wine as we have the medicals to go to and with 5 liver test do not dare have a drink !
day off today as england playing :beer: :beer: :beer:
we all have to keep all fingers,toes and everything cross,could happen to all of us,like most people cannot go with out selling of the house :eek:
jane

Joshlin Jun 11th 2006 12:34 am

sorry to hear your news - you must be so frustrated - I remember that anxiety before we left - I know it's no consolation to you but that's one thing that you don't have to worry about with the house buying process over here - they expect contracts to be signed really quickly with all conditions being addressed within 2weeks.
re: extension of visa - I don't think they will - as suggested by op, you'll have to do a validation visit if you can afford to, that will get you a 2yr returning residents visa . Do let us know if they offer you an extension - it'll be a relief to many on here if they do.
Vicki

sky Jun 11th 2006 4:17 am

We're just in the process of selling for the second time in NZ and I can assure you it is every much as stressfull as in the UK. The sale can fall through for any number of reasons we will find out tomorrow hopefully that everything is ok or else we will have to re market our house all over again :(

poppets Jun 11th 2006 8:06 am

i just wanted to wish you well to, sending you karma to cheer you up!!

brackley Jun 13th 2006 9:13 am

thankyou all for your empathy, we've had 2 more viewings with another 2 in the pipeline so fingers crossed. we were wanting to go out 27th aug after my daughter got her GCSE results, also it means our youngest does not have to go back to primary school in uk.

has anyone had any experience with direct homebuyers? saw an ad on tv for them yesterday. info and experiences with them would be great. many thanks

Alison1967 Jun 13th 2006 9:55 am

thankyou all for your empathy, we've had 2 more viewings with another 2 in the pipeline so fingers crossed. we were wanting to go out 27th aug after my daughter got her GCSE results, also it means our youngest does not have to go back to primary school in uk.

has anyone had any experience with direct homebuyers? saw an ad on tv for them yesterday. info and experiences with them would be great. many thanks

there was a link on here about people offering to buy your house a little under the asking price and it had a good link to a BBC article warning of the dangers of seriously being ripped off.

Good luck with the viewings, you'll get another buyer soon.

Ali

brackley Jun 13th 2006 9:59 am

thanks ali, my husband is very dubious about it.

Liz & Co Jun 13th 2006 11:55 am

thanks ali, my husband is very dubious about it.

Have you sorted our further education for your daughter and a school for your younger child?

Liz & Co

brackley Jun 13th 2006 2:04 pm

yes, we want to be in the catchment area for karori normal school, we looked around it last year and emma fell in love with it. for our eldest who will be starting yeari 12, we looked at wellington high, but no!!! so we want to be in the catchment area for wellington girls collage, shes quite happy to go there even though you have to wear a unifor which looks like you are off neighbours!!!!!!!!!! they have a very high standard of education there. are you in wellington if so which school do your kids go to and how old are they?
wendy

Liz & Co Jun 13th 2006 3:04 pm

yes, we want to be in the catchment area for karori normal school, we looked around it last year and emma fell in love with it. for our eldest who will be starting yeari 12, we looked at wellington high, but no!!! so we want to be in the catchment area for wellington girls collage, shes quite happy to go there even though you have to wear a unifor which looks like you are off neighbours!!!!!!!!!! they have a very high standard of education there. are you in wellington if so which school do your kids go to and how old are they?
wendy

We are planning to go to Tauranga Area and have looked at the Tauranga Boys and Girls College. My daughter will be 17 in November and as NZ school terms starts in January she will start Year 12 with children who are 1 year younger than her. Luckily the boys birthdays are Feb, March and May so the age difference will not affect them.

Will your daughter be attending school before 2007?

Liz

brackley Jun 13th 2006 3:19 pm

she wants to start asap to get to know other kids and get used tothe school before she starts yer 12