British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Selling cars in NZ - advice please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/selling-cars-nz-advice-please-663080/)

Stoof Apr 8th 2010 1:33 am

Selling cars in NZ - advice please!

we've got two cars to sell before we head off… any advice on how best to sell them, and what we need to do??

i understand they need a new WOF no older than a month when they're sold, and there's some change of ownership paperwork (from post shop or AA i think)

have i missed anything?

the local paper doesn't seem to have any car ads in, have checked out trademe, but not sure how many cars are actually sold that way? a lot of them seem to be dealers advertising rather than private sales… wondering about putting them in at Turners auctions, but the fees seem high (compared to selling via auction in uk i guess, which is the last time i did this!)

one is a 10 year old barina, so not worth a huge deal, but the other is only 3 years old and would hope to get about $10k for it

so, just don't know what to do for best (and don't want to leave them with a friend here to sell for us if they don't go before we've gone, its just not fair really)

any thoughts?!?

thanks everso :)

Genesis Apr 8th 2010 1:58 am

Re: Selling cars in NZ - advice please!

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 8480289)
we've got two cars to sell before we head off… any advice on how best to sell them, and what we need to do??

i understand they need a new WOF no older than a month when they're sold, and there's some change of ownership paperwork (from post shop or AA i think)

have i missed anything?

the local paper doesn't seem to have any car ads in, have checked out trademe, but not sure how many cars are actually sold that way? a lot of them seem to be dealers advertising rather than private sales… wondering about putting them in at Turners auctions, but the fees seem high (compared to selling via auction in uk i guess, which is the last time i did this!)

one is a 10 year old barina, so not worth a huge deal, but the other is only 3 years old and would hope to get about $10k for it

so, just don't know what to do for best (and don't want to leave them with a friend here to sell for us if they don't go before we've gone, its just not fair really)

any thoughts?!?

thanks everso :)

Trademe is the only way I think. You could stick an ad in the car and leave it in a prominent place or an ad in your local supermarket. I have sold almost all my cars in NZ thru trademe. It works really well. Start with the reserve being the absolute minimum you will take. All these $1 starts are just a gimmick. I have sold every car this way and so long as my reserve was tempting have always gotten more. Use all the 20 photos allowed and do your 'blurb' on the car as to 'why the next buyer SHOULD buy your car. IE its reliability what you have spent on it / replaced how good it is etc etc. Get it valeted afore sale unless you are an analy retentive cleaner like me...the valet or your clean will set it aside from all the others that have not bothered. Finish the wheels with that spray on tyre dressing you get from Supercheap autos. I used to be a car valeter..buy a nice smelling car airfreshner for it too aye? Good luck matey..PM me if you need any more help.

UKNZAUS Apr 8th 2010 3:36 am

Ellerslie race course turns into a used/new car sales place on Sundays! We picked up our 'first' car there a few days after we arrived until we bought newer ones. You could try that out? Failing that, what about Turners car auctions down in Albany?

sirplug Apr 8th 2010 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 8480463)
Ellerslie race course turns into a used/new car sales place on Sundays! We picked up our 'first' car there a few days after we arrived until we bought newer ones. You could try that out? Failing that, what about Turners car auctions down in Albany?

Albany has a 'car fair' on a weekend, in one of the car parks of the stadium. Search Albany car fair. Other than that, Trademe. I've bought a car and a van from Trademe. The car was bought from a dealer (who turned out to be from my home town!) and the van was from a private seller. Or do what the Kiwi's do, park it on the verge with a for sale sign in the window! Works well round here...

janeyk Apr 8th 2010 10:03 am

Turners car auction did us proud when we sold up also some dealers will buy off you and give you cash there and then we had 3 months wof used on both so not sure where you get that from?

grantanddebs Apr 9th 2010 12:13 am

turners car auctions is the way to go. We left New Zealand for Canada (but have sinced returned!!), and left our 4x4 with turners to sell.

they sold it for a good price and put the funds straight into our bank account for us.

Very very easy. I hate hassles and this was simple!!

good luck.

Grant :thumbsup:

Stoof Apr 10th 2010 8:49 am

thanks all!

hmm.. what to do…. the ease of Turners appeals, but i resent the % they cream off! ho hum… will have a think!

sirplug Apr 10th 2010 9:19 am

If it helps, I don't mind selling for you, whilst you are here.............if you leave, or are about to, put it through Turners....

PM me if needed....