Reload this Page >

Selling a car - trade me?

Selling a car - trade me?

Old Feb 1st 2016, 4:44 am
Just Joined

S052 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling a car - trade me?

Hi guys
We are heading back to the UK in June and need to sell our car, its a five year old Mazda 7. I guess we can rent a car for a couple of weeks if we sell it mid-may, but just trying to work out how to get the best price for it but with a guaranteed sale. Its worth about $19,500 - obviously garages are selling similar ones for a bit more than this.
Have you any experience of selling on Trade Me or back to a garage, any tips or advice?
Thanks in advance
Old Feb 1st 2016, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a car - trade me?

People have left me cars to sell when they have moved away from NZ, can't you ask a friend to do the same? A 10% cut normally gets some interest as if you take it to a dealer or somewhere like Turners you'll lose way more than 10%.
You don't have to be in the country to swap ownership of a vehicle.

If you're on the South Island I'd be willing to sell it for you, I'm currently just selling a $20k Land Rover Discovery for someone else at the minute and when the inlaws go home after their 3 months stay in NZ I'll be selling their Mitsubishi they bought.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S052
Hi guys
Its worth about $19,500 - obviously garages are selling similar ones for a bit more than this.
Because you have to sell, if you think its worth about $19,500 you'll probably get about $15,000.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 6:07 am
Just Joined

we' re in Auckland - I'm not sure if our mates would be bothered with the hassle of selling it for us.
I think its either us doing it on Trade me - or trying to find a dealership that will give us a fair price
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Our friends we're in the same position back in Wellington in May 2014. The only thing they had left was their 2007 Mazda CX7 2.3 Turbo Luxury Auto and they had tickets to leave first week of June 2014. Car was very low mileage under 40 000 KM's and in pristine condition. Going off TradeMe ads it was worth around $21k although those ads don't necessarily mean you'll sell for that price.
Best offer they got was $15k off the Wellington main dealer that sold it them not 18 months previous for $28k!!! Absolutely no other interest from anyone.
I ended up buying it off them for $15k cash. Sold my own car afterwards by leaving it by the roadside with a load of other private car sellers with a for sale sign in the window. We needed another big car at the time for our impending move from Wellington to Tauranga so it made sense buying it and then getting rid of my pocket rocket hatchback. Was a pretty decent car the CX7 but very thirsty. Appalling economy for today's standards. I was lucky to get 12.5Ltrs/100KM's.
I dobbed it in against the new Mitsi Outlander we bought 5 months ago. I had it 14 months, did around 50 000km's and I got $14k for it as part exchange on a car that cost $37k.
Two major problems with selling those cars here is the appalling economy and they are only 5 seats. Majority of people want 7 seats nowadays so will pay a little bit extra and buy a 9.
A good rule of thumb is to Google "Turners Auctions Used Car Valuations". A direct link should come up for the site. Fill in the details, add an email address and they'll instantly send you an email with 3 prices for the same car depending on condition. That's approx. the price you'll be getting interest to buy it.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:36 am
Just Joined

That was really helpful, it does come up at averaging around £19500 on their valuation tool.

Has anyone an opinion on whether its best to get a cash price or auction from them, or whether selling on trade me for a lower price would be better?
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

turners or auto auctioneers are your best bet
Old Feb 1st 2016, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

When we did 4.5 months in NZ we bought from Turners in Christchurch, and sold at Turners in Auckland.

It worked really well - we dropped the car off at Turners then were picked up by a shuttle bus to go to the airport.

The car sold a couple of weeks later, for a bit less than Turners suggested.

We did try and sell it privately beforehand, but in fact if we had sold it the costs of renting a car or travelling by public transport would have cut into any extra money we might have made. Convenience is something which is hard to value, but it is certainly worth something.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 3:03 am
Just Joined

thanks guys this has been really helpful!
We're just cleaning it up to see what Turners say and will also probably get it on trade me next week
Old Mar 13th 2016, 1:10 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. We advertised our car on Trademe. Be careful as we were nearly part of a scam. We received an email from a guy who wanted to buy the car for his son. He didn't want to view the car. He arranged to pay via Trademe and send a tow truck to pick the car up. I received a call from the Trademe fraud team who said that the email they had sent me regarding the payment was a false account. The plan was to send me a false email stating the money had gone into my account and pick the car up the same day. Hence I would have found out that the money hadn't gone into my account but I would have lost the car.

Trademe were really helpful and saved us from being ripped off. From the language in the email I don't think that English was their first language.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Hi. We advertised our car on Trademe. Be careful as we were nearly part of a scam. We received an email from a guy who wanted to buy the car for his son. He didn't want to view the car. He arranged to pay via Trademe and send a tow truck to pick the car up. I received a call from the Trademe fraud team who said that the email they had sent me regarding the payment was a false account. The plan was to send me a false email stating the money had gone into my account and pick the car up the same day. Hence I would have found out that the money hadn't gone into my account but I would have lost the car.

Trademe were really helpful and saved us from being ripped off. From the language in the email I don't think that English was their first language.

Hope this helps.
ITs people like you

That deserve a liked button on here
Old Mar 13th 2016, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for letting us know. We're going to be putting it on this week so good to be aware

Originally Posted by Parnell
ITs people like you

That deserve a liked button on here
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Someone tried to scam me recently when I advertised my motorbike so yes be aware of TradeMe ads. The scammers look at it from all over the world.
Received a text asking about the bike with an email to get in contact with the person. They asked a few of the right questions initially but I was on to them as soon as they started to go off on a tangent about giving me more than I was asking for to cover shipping costs yada yada. The person said they were in Germany and couldn't find the model there so was keen to buy asap.
Basically pledged to give me $2000 more to cover shipping costs. Said they would pay me via Paypal for the full amount and I'd receive some instructions. Went along with it just for the fun of it to see how far they'd go.
Received an email almost immediately from "Paypal" saying a large amount of funds had been deposited but I couldn't access it until I had passed on $2000 to pay for the collection and shipping to Germany....ha ha yeah right !!!
The Paypal email was a scam.....a very good scam I must admit. Looked very kosher but after checking my Paypal account online (without clicking the email link) it proved it was all a scam as there was nothing there. I'm not that stupid to be sending $2000 away on the promise of a sale. Reported the email address to Paypal Fraud and sent them the emails. They confirmed the user and email address to be in China and they are investigating that and many more.
Apparently happens so often that people are so desperate to sell they fall in to the trap and send money away to cover the fictitious shipping costs on the hope they're gonna be able to access the Paypal funds.
Its a sorry world we live in. Being a person who has worked from the day I left school at 16, I just don't understand how the scammers sleep at night knowing what they are doing to people across the world. I could never stoop so low.

All the best with the sale.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Again thanks for letting us know about this - they're absolute swines, taking advantage of normal hardworking people.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Take it to the car sales at Elersie racecourse every Sunday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.