Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Selling a car - any advice?

Selling a car - any advice?

Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling a car - any advice?

Anyone here sold a car in NZ, got any experience or recommendations?

Have to admit to being utterly clueless, as I would previously have been able to cope or make alternative arrangements in the interim, without having to rely upon a car.

I'm not keen on listing it on Trademe, I really can't be arsed to be dealing with tyre kickers or answering a million dumbass questions and I'll be relying on proceeds of car sale to fund the replacement, so time will be of the essence. The logistics of which also send my head into a spin, as I simply can't be without a car for anything more than a weekend.

So my options are what? Trade it in, or take it to Turners myself see what they'll give me for the old one. Assuming you can fix a handover date with them to coincide with the purchase of a new one.

I got a valuation report from http://www.carjam.co.nz/ which values my present car at approx $8k and searching around Trademe seems this is about right for a private sale. How much would you expect a main dealer, or the likes of Turners, to knock off for trade-in?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a car - any advice?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I'll be relying on proceeds of car sale to fund the replacement, so time will be of the essence. The logistics of which also send my head into a spin, as I simply can't be without a car for anything more than a weekend.
To me, the obvious answer is a part exchange.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

higgy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

The dealers will not want to give you anything near to the 8k mark unless you are trading it in for one of theirs.

So they give you a bit more knowing they are making a profit on the one they are selling to you.

Try putting a sign up in the side and rear windows or even park it up on some land by a busy road to advertise it just like the locals do.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

What kind of car is it?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I would try the trademe option with a dealership first. You can always say no to any offer they give but in the long run might be the easiest option
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

bung it on the side of the road and on trade me, it,s the only way.... Dont forget to write NZ new on the ad as this automatically seems to put 2 grand on the value

Neil
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

krisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud ofkrisby has much to be proud of

Turners is not a good idea, you won't get much with them at all, a trade in is probably your best bet if you can't be without a car, and some yards will give half decent trade in depending on what you are after.
If you not in a hurry just yet, keep an eye on some local yards and see if they are shifting much, if a particular car you want does not shift for a week or 2 then that is a bargaining point.
Alternately, Trademe is a good way to go, just have something lined up to pounce on when you sell. I bought a 1998 BMW 318is coupe off trademe a few years ago, paid $3800 for it, owned it for 10 months, and the big difference is, I gave it a full home cut and polish on the paint, looked awesome, and I fetched $4400 for it, free motoring. Also bought a Honda Inspire off trademe, was a cheap hack when we knew we were coming back to the UK, however, bought it for $2100 and sold it for $1900, which wasn't too bad for 8 months of ownership. Didn't have tyre kickers on either, just provide good photos, be honest, a realistic price and you should be ok.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, I am not in a rush so I will tout it about some places and see what I get offered for it. The timing of a Trademe / side of the road malarkey just wouldn't be feasible as I do really need the money to fund purchase of a new car asap.