Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Selection Interview for PR

Selection Interview for PR

Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

leggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Selection Interview for PR

Hi.Has anyone had an interview for PR?We have ours on monday. Where can I find the questions they might ask me? Cheers.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selection Interview for PR

Originally Posted by leggs
Hi.Has anyone had an interview for PR?We have ours on monday. Where can I find the questions they might ask me? Cheers.
hi there
throw a search into the forum search function and you will come up with plenty of threads that have discussed this in the past. Failing that don't worry, tis very straight forward - why do you want to come to NZ, what research have you undertaken, what do you think the difficulties will be, what do you intend to do about work / how will you support yourself, what have you done about gaining employment, where do you anticipate living

one word of warning, they give nothing back during the interview - they are busy writing your answers down so don't tend to respond to what you've said and they also won't give you any real feedback at the end of it other than to give you an indication as to when you might hear the result.

Good luck
Vicki
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of

joshlin has said it all. we did get a phone call 2 days later to tell us verbally we had gained residency and a letter followed the next week.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:17 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

What was the score in CHCH this week?

Sing the nation Athem in Maori

Perform the Haka

Are you enjoying living in NZ

When do you plan to return home (trick question)
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:19 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Joshlin
one word of warning, they give nothing back during the interview - and they also won't give you any real feedback at the end of it other than to give you an indication as to when you might hear the result.

Good luck
Vicki
Totally agree.
Our NZIS Visa Officer, Catherine Beath, was very quiet when asked direct questions re: outcome of interview. She did hint that "I wouldn't of got this far (in the whole NZIS process) without being in with a very strong chance of being granted residency."
10 days after the interview, I was granted residency.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:37 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

IMHO the interview is very informal, more of a chat really. Mine took 35mins, though 20 minutes is about all they need.

Questions for me were aimed around how I would settle in NZ eg: job prospects, means of supporting family, who do you know in NZ, what do know about NZ life/culture etc

Personally, I had no job offer though my skills matched the NZIS skills shortage criteria. I sold my house before coming to NZ, therefore had enough money to support family for a few years. Regarding NZ life/culture, I haven't had a great deal of first hand experience and answered by saying that it was similar to the British way of life.

I think its fair to say that you should really do your research before the interview so you don't get caught out. But don't worry. They shouldn't ask you to sing the NZ national anthems in Maori or chant the haka - which I did learn prior to the interview (silly me.)
Old Jul 20th 2006, 2:34 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebears
What was the score in CHCH this week?

Sing the nation Athem in Maori

Perform the Haka

Are you enjoying living in NZ

When do you plan to return home (trick question)
ur kidding me?! :scared: