Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

secondary teaching in NZ

secondary teaching in NZ

Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

EmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really nice
Smile secondary teaching in NZ

Can anyone tell me what it's like teaching in NZ secondary schools? I'm an English teacher and am hoping to teach in Christchurch or that area. Have been teaching in Scotland for last 5 years and wonder what the curriculum, conditions, schools are like in NZ? Is it hard to get a job once there? I know they're going to vary a lot (like here) but any info would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Emma
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Lplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really nice
Default Re: secondary teaching in NZ

Hi
My husband is an secondary English teacher and we are living in Wellington. I would strongly recommend looking for a job before you come as he found it hard to get a teaching post when we got here. He did supply teaching for a while through Edpersonnel who mainly got him work with intermediate (and some primary). The secondary schools usually operate their own casual/supply network so if you want that then apply straight to individual schools.
My husband has got a full time secondary post now but it was hard going and it isn't in English. There was a lot of competition at the time with some schools quoting figures of 40 plus applicants per job. The exam system is obviously different and is a fairly new innovation which even Kiwis have trouble getting their heads around! We heard also that even returning Kiwis from overseas had trouble getting jobs during their first year back. It would probably have been easier in other parts of the country such as Auckland but we really wanted to stay in Welly. Hope I haven't put you off too much but just remember smaller population, less schools = more competition! We have also been told don't expect to get your dream job in the first year or two just get your name / face known. All the best and good luck!!!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

EmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really nice

Thanks ever so for that. Things sound pretty tough - what is your husband teaching, if you don't mind me asking? Did he find he was accepted in his school or was it hard to feel part of things? Are the kids pretty much the same (some great, some awful) or does he find behaviour, attitude better than the UK? Thanks for all your help, it's really great for me to know what it's like.
Emma
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Lplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really nice

Have sent you a Pm!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Amanda Hart will become famous soon enoughAmanda Hart will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EmandKen
Can anyone tell me what it's like teaching in NZ secondary schools? I'm an English teacher and am hoping to teach in Christchurch or that area. Have been teaching in Scotland for last 5 years and wonder what the curriculum, conditions, schools are like in NZ? Is it hard to get a job once there? I know they're going to vary a lot (like here) but any info would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Emma
My husband is Teaching Technology at Saint kentigern in Pakuranga, about 25 mins outside Auckland and he is loving it. He forwarded his CV to Oasis, Government funded agency who found him two schools almost immediately, he had an interview over the phone and bingo here we are. It is a public school which he wasn't sure about but the facilities and the school are amazing. We arrived with nothing as we were starting from scratch, with 2 children in tow, people were so kind in lending and giving us things to get started. He has only been there 3 months but everyone has been so welcoming it was definately the right move. Amanda
Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Amanda
Thanks for replying. It is so great to hear that your husband is loving it and that you're all happy there.
I've heard of Oasis so will look into them. He started in the middle of the school year so it can't have been easy. How is finding the NZ curriculum?
Am really excited about moving over but we have to sell the house first which isn't proving to be very easy at the moment. Ah well will keep positive and start reading NZ authors!
Emma
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Amanda Hart will become famous soon enoughAmanda Hart will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EmandKen
Hi Amanda
Thanks for replying. It is so great to hear that your husband is loving it and that you're all happy there.
I've heard of Oasis so will look into them. He started in the middle of the school year so it can't have been easy. How is finding the NZ curriculum?
Am really excited about moving over but we have to sell the house first which isn't proving to be very easy at the moment. Ah well will keep positive and start reading NZ authors!
Emma
Oh dam!!! have just had husband dictate details of NZ curriculum and lost the lot, now he won't tell me again becauce he thinks i've had one 2 many wines!!! but basically what he was saying is the NZ curriculum is a lot more open than the UK, the entire document looks like a brief over view and people would much prefer it was more like the UK. My husband is thoroughly enjoying teaching as he has returned to normal teacher status rather than being management, this being said the money is about a third less than in the UK. We sold our house in the UK 6 months before coming out here and rented and thought we would be mortgage free, but living outside Auckland is expensive and we have had to have a mortgage, but it is definately worth it. Amanda