Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Secondary for expats

Secondary for expats

Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Micheline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secondary for expats

Hi, has anyone else moved here when their child was 12 and given the choice for them to go straight into secondary? Thought my daughter would go back one year but primary school has encouraged her to go to secondary as she is nearly 13, she has also passed the tests for year 9 and will be put into extension if she decides to go. She is ready academically for high school, but my very big worry is that as she is a small child and emotionally young as well, she will not handle being with 13-14 year olds that are at a different stage mentally to her. She is convinced secondary is right for her but her head space is not yet of a teenager. Has anyone else any experience with this? Many thanks, Micheline
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:31 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secondary for expats

can see your dilemma, not experienced it myself, if anything I think my 10yr old when she got here could of gone in to yr 7 but instead they put her in yr 6, not to much of a problem and she did know someone on yr 6 which was the main factor her being put there. Do you have any one you know with a daughter going into secondary and can buddy her up with?
Have you been to the secondary school, had a look round and voiced your concerns?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that does help. We don't know anyone yet in the area, but I have had a talk with her to weigh all options. Hope everything will sort itself soon...
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

When's her birthday? My daughter will be one of the youngest about to start college she won't be 13 till April. She's definitely not a 'teenager' yet and neither are most of her friends. We had a choice when we moved 3 years ago as to the year group we put her and we moved her up for academic reasons and her new friends were in the year above - but as you say there are pros and cons to that when they move up to college (including the smallest uniform swamping her!).

All will be revealed when she goes to college on Monday.......

Last edited by MOSO; Jan 26th 2013 at 3:51 am.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Is she going to Paraparaumu? Her's is mid-Feb but has had the same problem re:uniform. Had to send to tailor to shorten. It would be great if they could pair up.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Sending you PM!