British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Second Hand Vehicles in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/second-hand-vehicles-nz-657655/)

Steez1982 Mar 3rd 2010 5:23 pm

Second Hand Vehicles in NZ

Okay so hopefully someone here will have some info :)

I'm moving to Dunedin in April, flying into ChCh then making my way down.

I want to buy an SUV and am wondering what the market is like on the South Island at the moment for second hand vehicles? I'm looking for a vehicle with 4WD and plenty of storage space. Something old will do just fine, my last beloved vehicle was a 1991 Isuzu Trooper :) My budget is maybe $5000-$10,000.

I've been looking on the Autotrader site and wondering if the listed prices are the prices that vehicles go at or if there's a lot of haggling with the dealers.

Also what is insurance like in NZ?

Thanks!!

Jo_Paul87 Mar 3rd 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Second Hand Vehicles in NZ

Originally Posted by Steez1982 (Post 8391016)

I want to buy an SUV and am wondering what the market is like on the South Island at the moment for second hand vehicles? I'm looking for a vehicle with 4WD and plenty of storage space. Something old will do just fine, my last beloved vehicle was a 1991 Isuzu Trooper :) My budget is maybe $5000-$10,000.

I've been looking on the Autotrader site and wondering if the listed prices are the prices that vehicles go at or if there's a lot of haggling with the dealers.

Thanks!!

Good question, I was thinking of asking a similar question, I am flying in to Auckland in may then traveling up to Kerikeri, would I be better buying in Auckland before we leave, also I am after an SUV budget of about $20k does anyone have experiance of car sales in the far north ?

Dewb09 Mar 3rd 2010 6:15 pm

There has been mention before of some car markets which I think are good to go to. :fingerscrossed: Hopefully someone in NZ will be along soon with the names.

Dewb

bdclayton Mar 3rd 2010 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Steez1982 (Post 8391016)

Thanks!!

Hi there
If you land in Auckland or Christchurch there are Backpackers car markets in both places
In Auckland its on East St
Christchurch justs Google it
i cant remember the address.
This time of year there are lots of bargains at Backpackers because lots of people are going home
or try the Auctions in both Christchurch or Auckland again Google them to find out dates and times.
look on "Trade me" for a idea on price
Insurance ?? Belive it or not its optional here in NZ
If you buy a diesel you have to buy diesel miles at the post office
although Diesel is cheaper at the pumps you have to display a disc similar to a tax disc to show your diesel miles ( sounds complicated but its not)
Also make sure you have a W.O.F similar to UK M.O.T but every six month here.
And then make sure its taxed
it really is not as complicated as it sounds there are plenty of vehicles for sale in your price range
good luck
:thumbsup:

Jan n Neil Mar 3rd 2010 7:05 pm

10 grand will get u a good one, 20 grand will get u a really good one there are loads to choose from
Insurance for my ute, ford ranger 12 months old is about 300 bux for me and the wife

Wiz'n'Ton Mar 3rd 2010 7:43 pm

As you're flying into Chch, just head straight down to Moorhouse Avenue and it is car central. There are over 20 dealerships along there, everything from sports to utes. For the budget you're talking you can get a serious amount of car. If you'd prefer a car yard warranty, with rego and tax all up to date and a full tank of gas along with a newly serviced car then a car dealer is the one for you. Cash talks, and they'll be happy to bargain I reckon.

If you are a risk taker then check out trademe before you arrive and find vehicles that end close to your arrival date. Bid on and win the one you want, then you can arrange to get a cab from airport to car owners house (via bank) and be in your car within an hour of arrival. Obv you are buying unseen so run the risks involved, but can end up with a LOT of car. My bro in law got a Jeep Cherokee for 8k. He loves it.

Alternatively, do what we did and head down to Backpacker Car Warehouse on Battersea St and buy the best of the old shaggers there. $700 - $1500 will get you something that will get you around till you know what you really want to buy.

Choices choices! Believe me - car wise there are plenty of them here in ChCh. :thumbsup:

Oh - and insurance is real cheap compared to the UK. Fully comp for me and the wife on her car is just over $150 for the year. Seriously!

bananalana Mar 4th 2010 11:28 am

$5k-$10k will get you a really decent 4WD.

And $20k will get you a great one...I would buy before you head to KeriKeri though. Buy in Auckland - heaps of cars there for cheap (private sale).

To get an idea of what cars sell for privately you can look at TradeMe...www.trademe.co.nz in th emotoring section obviously

Here are some examples:

Up to 10k

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...ch_suggested=0

10 to 20k

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...ch_suggested=0

Justcol Mar 4th 2010 8:33 pm

you can buy a brand new Great Wall SUV/4x4 for about 26k
not everyones cup of tea but a damn sight more reliable than
10 yr old isuzu

TeamEmbo Mar 4th 2010 9:53 pm

We paid $8k for a 1992 Mitsubshi Pajero from Car City in Cch. Came with rego and WOF. Has been very reliable and got through every WOF since (had it nearly 3 years now) apart from new all terrain tyres last year.

Genesis Mar 4th 2010 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8391249)
10 grand will get u a good one, 20 grand will get u a really good one there are loads to choose from
Insurance for my ute, ford ranger 12 months old is about 300 bux for me and the wife

Who are you with please? The AA charge me $400 for a worthless 12 year old Honda:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Genesis Mar 4th 2010 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 8391353)
As ChCh. :thumbsup:

Oh - and insurance is real cheap compared to the UK. Fully comp for me and the wife on her car is just over $150 for the year. Seriously!

Which company is that please? I guess we will all avoid the AA now looking at my post above aye????

Jan n Neil Mar 5th 2010 12:32 am

AMI i tried the AA but they where double and the more u have with AMI house other cars ect the cheaper it gets

Neil

BEVS Mar 5th 2010 1:45 am

We're also with AMI Dom.

Wiz'n'Ton Mar 5th 2010 2:15 am

AMI also - but we have all other insurances with them so get a tidy bulk discount which may account for the general cheapness of our policy.

Can't fault them - all claims so far have been dealth with in hours. :)

Jan n Neil Mar 5th 2010 6:12 am

All claims, How many u had :confused: