Reload this Page >

Seatoun, Miramar, Wellywood!

Seatoun, Miramar, Wellywood!

Old May 24th 2011, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

IrishNeal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seatoun, Miramar, Wellywood!

Hi there,

I am really interested in living in these suburbs (well I currently live in Island Bay) just wanted to know from any locals;

1) Are these suburbs friendly? Especially to single blokes (don't have kids so am afraid it'll be a suburb only for families)
2) What is there to do? - Just read there is a new Cinema...is it any good?
3) What is the public transport like? Island Bay is good but stops a little early for me on Friday's and Saturdays
4) Any football teams? - I read up about several Miramar Rangers and Seatoun but not sure how good they are....I still want to play even at my age (hitting 40 this year!!) - I am Hammers fan (long story - all my mates in Belfast were Man U or Arsenal)
5) Shops - OK so I live of take aways really so I guess I'm asking about were I can buy milk for my coffee but basically how good are the take aways?
6) Any other ideas to meet some people in the areas - local bars, clubs etc.

Thanks

Neal

PS The Wellywood thing was a joke - but do you get to meet / see lots of film stars in Miramar and Seatoun?
Old May 24th 2011, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seatoun, Miramar, Wellywood!

I can't help you with this but have moved your post to the Main forum as more people will see it here, rather than the Introductions sub-forum
Old May 25th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for lots of takeaway choice then why not try Hataitai which is slightly more central than Miramar and walkable from Courtney Place (uphill) if the buses have stopped lol.
Miramar has (thanks to film industry maybe) some good inexpensive restaurants such as Polo, The Larder and Chocolate Frog and Fish. It also has a decent-sized New World supermarket. There are takeaways too but not as many as Hataitai maybe. Salvation Coffee in Hataitai is my fav cup of coffee in the whole of Wellie.
Seatoun is probably the most family orientated of the 3 (Miramar Seatoun Hataitai) and never seems to have much in the way of facilities to me although Miramar itself has most things including nice new cinema with a restaurant as you mentioned. Anything lacking in Miramar can probably be found in neighbouring Kilbirnie.
Soccer: http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_p...t=1-4205-0-0-0

Kilbirnie/Miramar border also has the new indoor sports facility due to open, and the WRAC (swimming complex) is also there. Evans Bay is nearby with newish cafe.
Another benefit of Hataitai if you are a pubby type is the Realm Pub which has a restaurant and bar with entertainments etc etc...Think the Kilbirnie pubs are probably much rougher.

You really need to get out and see for yourself though.... I can be happy in any central suburb so long as the actual house ticks all the boxes re adequate heating etc etc .
Old May 25th 2011, 3:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I am flexible regarding houses. I have an OK rental which makes up for being cold and scruffy by being friendly and very flexible (I have to only give one months notice)....
....I am however looking to swap size for location and comfort hence me looking at Seatoun, Miramar and Hataitai (thanks to your suggestion) because I think the quality of the housing is better and I might find a nice small place.

Whats the big sports centre going to be for? I colleague says it's going to be netball only...surely not!

N
Old May 25th 2011, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IrishNeal
Hi there,

I am really interested in living in these suburbs (well I currently live in Island Bay) just wanted to know from any locals;

4) Any football teams? - I read up about several Miramar Rangers and Seatoun but not sure how good they are....I still want to play even at my age (hitting 40 this year!!)

PS The Wellywood thing was a joke - but do you get to meet / see lots of film stars in Miramar and Seatoun?

I shouldnt worry about Miramar Rangers not being good enough, they are one of the best teams in NZ. They will have a 4th or 5th team probably you could play for.

Seatoun also have a number of decent teams, but the first team isnt up to Miramar standard. Have a look at the capital football website to see how many teams they have in the different leagues. Mind you, Island Bay are much the same.
Old May 26th 2011, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Browner_
I shouldnt worry about Miramar Rangers not being good enough, they are one of the best teams in NZ. They will have a 4th or 5th team probably you could play for.

Seatoun also have a number of decent teams, but the first team isnt up to Miramar standard. Have a look at the capital football website to see how many teams they have in the different leagues. Mind you, Island Bay are much the same.
...thanks for the advice. I am going to see Island Bay this weekend to see what the standard is. They are playing up on the Kapiti Coast which will be good because I haven't been there yet and am getting a lift from them (nice guys)