Seasons

Old May 18th 2006, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of
Default Seasons

Hi Everyone!

Well we're getting organized for the big move after the UK summer. Just wondered if we might be able to time our arrival for the onset of Spring in NZ! My OH doesn't want to be in UK when the cold weather starts arriving!

When do you feel Spring starts kicking in around AKL???

Cheers,
Dave
Old May 18th 2006, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seasons

Hi

We've been here a year next month so can only tell you what it was like last year.

When we got here in June it was great.... beautiful blue skies... warm enough to take off your cardie and sit in the sun.... July we moved to Wattle Downs and it rained and rained and bloody rained.... seemed non-stop to me as I was indoors with no friends and nobody to talk to apart from a 20 month old! It was still warm when the sun came out though. Coldest day was 13 degrees last winter here in AKL. We moved then to Beachlands 3 weeks later as couldnt settle in WD. August we had some beautiful warm days again but periods of heavy rain. September it started warming up.... stayed warm then til about 2 weeks ago!!

You dont get the endless grey days here like you do in UK.... it seems to me that the clouds come over to dump rain and when theyre gone youre back to blue sky again.

I perhaps put on a coat about 5 times last winter but always ended up taking it off as I got too warm.

Some people dont like the AKL climate as its wet and warm but I think its ok. Ive seen more blue sky than Ive seen in my life!

We've been told that last winter was very mild for AKL so maybe it will get colder this year??

I still cant help smiling when kiwi friends tell me its bloody freezing..... lol.... its 16 degrees!!

Bring a brolly and youll be fine!!

SarahB
Old May 18th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hi

We've been here a year next month so can only tell you what it was like last year.

When we got here in June it was great.... beautiful blue skies... warm enough to take off your cardie and sit in the sun.... July we moved to Wattle Downs and it rained and rained and bloody rained.... seemed non-stop to me as I was indoors with no friends and nobody to talk to apart from a 20 month old! It was still warm when the sun came out though. Coldest day was 13 degrees last winter here in AKL. We moved then to Beachlands 3 weeks later as couldnt settle in WD. August we had some beautiful warm days again but periods of heavy rain. September it started warming up.... stayed warm then til about 2 weeks ago!!

You dont get the endless grey days here like you do in UK.... it seems to me that the clouds come over to dump rain and when theyre gone youre back to blue sky again.

I perhaps put on a coat about 5 times last winter but always ended up taking it off as I got too warm.

Some people dont like the AKL climate as its wet and warm but I think its ok. Ive seen more blue sky than Ive seen in my life!

We've been told that last winter was very mild for AKL so maybe it will get colder this year??

I still cant help smiling when kiwi friends tell me its bloody freezing..... lol.... its 16 degrees!!

Bring a brolly and youll be fine!!

SarahB
Cheers Sarah!!

Great info! We are hoping September will be a good time to arrive so we get some half decent weather for a month's touring around before settling down prob in Bay of Islands area. Although I'm a currency trader by default .. gotta make a living!.... diving is my passion and as a PADI OWSI hope to be able to do some teaching(there's no money in that though)!

Take care,
Dave

Can't wait to get there; OH is driving me mad...she's desperate to get out of UK as fast as poss.
Old May 18th 2006, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
Cheers Sarah!!

Great info! We are hoping September will be a good time to arrive so we get some half decent weather for a month's touring around before settling down prob in Bay of Islands area. Although I'm a currency trader by default .. gotta make a living!.... diving is my passion and as a PADI OWSI hope to be able to do some teaching(there's no money in that though)!

Take care,
Dave

Can't wait to get there; OH is driving me mad...she's desperate to get out of UK as fast as poss.
It is a good time to arrive.... can be very wet but gorgeous too. The spring flowers everywhere are beautiful. Strange to see lambs in the fields at that time of year too!

We love it here (OK I still have some teary homesick moments sometimes).... and have just put a conditional offer on a house here in Beachlands.
Old May 18th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

It is a good time to arrive.... can be very wet but gorgeous too. The spring flowers everywhere are beautiful. Strange to see lambs in the fields at that time of year too!

We love it here (OK I still have some teary homesick moments sometimes).... and have just put a conditional offer on a house here in Beachlands.
Yeah I'm sure it's weird getting used to the seasons being round the other way! Should be an interesting experience!!

Sure hope the house purchase goes well! If you've got anymore £'s to exchange for your purchase, I hope my comments on the currency stuff is helping!

Dave
Old May 18th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I'm sure it's weird getting used to the seasons being round the other way! Should be an interesting experience!!

Sure hope the house purchase goes well! If you've got anymore £'s to exchange for your purchase, I hope my comments on the currency stuff is helping!

Dave
Thanks... I will have a few £'s from the sale so I've reading the currency thread with great interest. I bought at a good time in UK. Inland Revenue in UK have seriously p****d me off recently and I just dont want the hassle anymore so I want to sell it... after management fees and tax etc I'm making a loss on it at the moment.
Old May 18th 2006, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks... I will have a few £'s from the sale so I've reading the currency thread with great interest. I bought at a good time in UK. Inland Revenue in UK have seriously p****d me off recently and I just dont want the hassle anymore so I want to sell it... after management fees and tax etc I'm making a loss on it at the moment.
Sounds like a good time to get shot of it then! I'm in the camp that reckons UK house market is STILL overvalued & due for a large correction of 30% ish, so ya never know, could be a good time to sell!!!

Fingers crossed for you!!

Dave
Old May 18th 2006, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Seasons

Hi Everyone!

Well we're getting organized for the big move after the UK summer. Just wondered if we might be able to time our arrival for the onset of Spring in NZ! My OH doesn't want to be in UK when the cold weather starts arriving!

When do you feel Spring starts kicking in around AKL???

Cheers,
Dave
Been here for 8 years (Auckland). The start of spring can be variable (obviously), I've found mid October feels more like spring. Mind you as SarahB said, you'll think its mild after Britain, I walked around for the first year or so in a tee shirt and shorts! But not at night.

One important fact to remember though. As Auckland is so humid and damp at times, the night time temperatures can feel bloody cold! :scared: Even if the actual temperature doesn't get that low (a bit like wind chill figures in winter back home). My wife said it was the coldest she had ever felt at night, and she used to have the windows open all year round in Britain! You'll be trying to heat up all the dampness in the air, and it will cost you (NZ houses lack insulation and don't have wall cavities either). Best thing is to get a dehumidifier to suck out all the moisture in the house/room. We bought one five years ago (after being given the tip off by a kiwi), and wouldn't be without it. We didn't have the a fire or heater on at all last winter. It's also good for drying your clothes if it rains.

As for the Bay of islands - what a great place to live, good choice, hope you can get a job there.
Old May 19th 2006, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kooga61
Been here for 8 years (Auckland). The start of spring can be variable (obviously), I've found mid October feels more like spring. Mind you as SarahB said, you'll think its mild after Britain, I walked around for the first year or so in a tee shirt and shorts! But not at night.

One important fact to remember though. As Auckland is so humid and damp at times, the night time temperatures can feel bloody cold! :scared: Even if the actual temperature doesn't get that low (a bit like wind chill figures in winter back home). My wife said it was the coldest she had ever felt at night, and she used to have the windows open all year round in Britain! You'll be trying to heat up all the dampness in the air, and it will cost you (NZ houses lack insulation and don't have wall cavities either). Best thing is to get a dehumidifier to suck out all the moisture in the house/room. We bought one five years ago (after being given the tip off by a kiwi), and wouldn't be without it. We didn't have the a fire or heater on at all last winter. It's also good for drying your clothes if it rains.

As for the Bay of islands - what a great place to live, good choice, hope you can get a job there.
Cheers Kooga..... will definitely go fo the dehumidifier, sounds like a top tip!!

Dave
Old May 19th 2006, 8:00 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Are dehumidifiers economical with the leccy, thinking about getting one myself.
Old May 19th 2006, 8:02 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Just getting a bit sick of all the condensation on the single glazed windows on a morning
Old May 21st 2006, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky
Just getting a bit sick of all the condensation on the single glazed windows on a morning
As has previously been mentioned Auckland has a relatively mild climate certainly compared to the UK. It does rain but even in the depths of winter glorious sunny warm days are not uncommon. October sees the occasional very warm day but expect stormy unsettled weather until after Christmas. We have a home that takes full advantage of the sun, is insulated and as a result our heating costs are minimal. Condensation is a problem and dehumidifiers may help but are expensive to run. I am told forced ventilation systems work a treat and are inexpensive and cheap to run. Cheers binman
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:48 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
Are dehumidifiers economical with the leccy, thinking about getting one myself.
peeps i know that have them (kiwi and pommy) say they woudln't be without them. uK peeps have said get one with the laundry facility on it. I don't have one but I probably will get one eventually.

Re seasons, it's not so much it's cold outside is it? it's when your house is cold and the sun is out that younotice. Best cure, go outside and chop wood.
Technically spring is sort of mid september but last year I had the burner on in November then it bucked up a bit by christmasand was lovely until march/april.
To the person coming, just cast your mind back pre double glazing and central heating days or in themean time turn off you heating in the Uk and you will be accclimatised.
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point

For those unfamiliar with forced ventilation systems here is a link lhttp://www.dvs.co.nz/ink Cheers binman