Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Seasonal nostalgia

Seasonal nostalgia

Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

burbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seasonal nostalgia

There are some things I think of fondly of my previous life in England. I have no intention of ever going back but as the seasons change, I do get nostalgic.We're into autumn here (it's a beauty) but it's spring in Blighty & I can see the forests now with,anemone,wild garlic,celadine & the all time favourite,bluebells. Sigh. The daylight getting longer with new fresh growth in the gardens & blossom on the trees. Sigh.
Do the seasons bring on a nostalgia for you?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seasonal nostalgia

I think it doesn't help much that we're all @rse about face with April and Easter signifying to us the emergence from winter into spring with all the new growth, lighter brighter days, getting out into the garden, spring cleaning, mother's day, flowers etc, whilst instead we're faced with the opposite of the spectrum, getting colder and darker, with depressing thoughts about wrapping up in extra layers of clothes and keeping warm.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

yes we fin that Autumn and Spring is most confusing over here. both our birthdays used to be in Spring, now theyre in Autumn.. Easter is coming..in Autumn!! but yet its still so warm and mild.. its very disorientating! Summer and winter seems a bit more defined for us.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I get like that sometimes too especially at Christmas time. Maybe that is why some companies put on a mid winter Christmas for their employees! I will never get used to Christmas in the sun no matter how long I am here. Christmas to me is warm fires, hot toddy's and dark winter days. I think our Autumn can be better than the English Spring in terms of weather. At least we know we are getting sunshine most days not like England when it can be still surprising with one day of sunny weather followed by a week of spring showers! But yes, now even after 4 years I still think of Easter as heralding in the coming spring/summer and long light nights, oh well our turn again soon enough!!!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

/wanders in/

I miss autumnal colours and the colour in the sky. Not sure whether it's me or not but there seem to be far fewer glorious sunsets here than in the UK. Used to love them in Spring and Autumn and when we get colour in the evening the kids always seem to remark on it. Didn't when I was a kid as it happened far more.

/wanders out/