Reload this Page >

Searching for Work

Searching for Work

Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Briosag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Searching for Work

Bit complicated but bare with me.

My sister is planning on coming across to NZ on a working holiday visa, with a view to experiencing life in NZ and deciding whether she would like to make the move permanent. She expects that this will be the case as she absolutely loved it when we were over last year visiting my brother who is a resident and her field of work has a lot better opportunities and salaries than in the UK.

I am currently unhappy in my work in the UK and looking for a change. My sister has suggested I come with her. I am single with no responsibilities so it seems like the perfect time/chance. However I am 32 years old and so can not apply for the working holiday visa. I will apply for the Silver Fern when it comes available but that obviously is oversubscribed and I have no certainty of getting one. My skills put me on the skilled occupations list but not on the 'wanted' and long story short I need a job offer to get enough points to get a visa.

I have read that it is easier to get a job in NZ if you are actually there, and suspect this will definitely be the case in my field. I will be applying for jobs whilst in the UK but wondered if you can travel to NZ on a visitors visa with a view to looking to make contact with companies regarding work. Can you attend interviews? Obviously if offered a job you then apply for the relevant work visa. Is this possible/legal?

As my whole family including my parents are exploring the option to migrate to join my brother its vital I find the way to gain employment. If I do get the job I want I would be looking at making the move for 2-5 years minimum but if my parents come it will be permanent. My brother has his roots down and is going no-where!
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:27 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Searching for Work

Hello and welcome to BE,

It looks like you've done plenty of research and have a good idea of the visa options.
The Silver Fern visa is currently being reviewed, there have been numerous problems with this visa and its implementation over the years. It's not one to rely on as you know!

It is legal to enter NZ as a visitor, look for work and attend interviews but you are primarily meant to be on holiday. Here: I am overseas at the moment, but would like to visit NZ and look for a job. - Immigration NZ Knowledgebase
You would also need a ticket out of NZ if you do end up travelling over as a visitor. You won't get on the plane leaving the UK without one!
Your plan seems feasible and many on here have mentioned it not being easy to find work from overseas. However you'd have to plan on leaving if necessary. If you find a suitable job, you apply for a visa and can then start once it is issued.
Good luck
P
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 7:49 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

My husband came over on a visitors visa to have a look round as never been here before and he was in between jobs in the UK, someone had offered him somewhere to stay so he came over.
He happened to go at an IT expo (his field) and got chatting to a few people as you do, spoke to a few agencies and got a couple of interviews and within a week had an offer of employment. Which wasn't exactly how we wanted things as he had to start the following week, managed to get a temp work visa within a day and he never got the return flight.

Although it is not illegal to come over on a visitors visa and look for work it's not exactly seen by all as the right thing to do. There has been some debate as to how to resolve this with no one coming up with a good solution, the Government knows it happens and most officials don't worry about it but you may get a jobs worth who could cause problems so don't advertise the fact that is your intention ie, don't bring paper CV's, References etc with you.

Have you looked at Work to Ressidency Visa or the BUNAC visa ?
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

What field of work are you looking for? Be warned that for much of December and January people do not hire, but that is a very sweeping statement so there will be exceptions.

Many companies also end their financial year at the end of June so depending on the company they may freeze hiring in the lead up to that time.

Last edited by Robbo25; Sep 2nd 2014 at 11:40 am.