Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sea Fishing in South Island

Sea Fishing in South Island

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Sea Fishing in South Island

Anyone Gone Fishing ......

Whilst maybe not so high on some peoples agenda for moving I have a DH and 12 year old son who love to SEA/BEACH/KAYAK fish

Am researching into Nelson/Blenheim with potential job offer and the question .... "but what about the fishing" keeps being raised.

So please indulge me and give me some ammunition for their questions. In some ways being able to keep interests and hobbies going will I am sure help us to settle much easier.

A google search has highlighted heaps of Fly Fishing in the Marlborough region and what seems like only deep sea fishing charters...... I can't imagine that the opportunity for small boat/shore fishing is limited is it ????

Thanks for any help
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sea Fishing in South Island

Originally Posted by louloumama

Whilst maybe not so high on some peoples agenda for moving I have a DH and 12 year old son who love to SEA/BEACH/KAYAK fish

Am researching into Nelson/Blenheim with potential job offer and the question .... "but what about the fishing" keeps being raised.

So please indulge me and give me some ammunition for their questions. In some ways being able to keep interests and hobbies going will I am sure help us to settle much easier.

A google search has highlighted heaps of Fly Fishing in the Marlborough region and what seems like only deep sea fishing charters...... I can't imagine that the opportunity for small boat/shore fishing is limited is it ????

Thanks for any help
Hi

If you looking for fishing in the south island you could try http://www.kaikourafishing.co.nz/
I have used them 3 times now and had caught tons of stuff on that, the guys are pretty good too that run it
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:56 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Fish and Game have useful info - if you get a licence (for freshwater angling) online then they send you a newsletter - latest one:

http://www.fishandgame.org.nz/Site/n...October09.aspx

There are plenty of places to fish and lots of people who will indulge you with good advice....

the book below is good for fishing spots :-)
Sorry for the poor scan but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Sea Fishing in South Island-4-11-2009-1-50-50-p.m._0023_resize.jpg   Sea Fishing in South Island-4-11-2009-1-52-59-p.m._0024_resize.jpg  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:57 am
Just Joined

BigStuey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for any help
The oppurtunity for fishing is huge. You won't hear too much though as lot's of people like to keep their spots secret. You'll just have to get out there, find a good spot yourself and fish it! Trial and error!
You don't need a license to fish at sea or on the coast (unless near a rivermouth). In my town you (Dunedin) you can catch salmon in the harbour.
Kids will love making a spear and wading out to the shallows to spear Plaice. I often see groups of 2 out with a net in estuaries also.
You can try surf fishing too. (I did once but gave up when Dolphins came along!).
It's great to connect with the wildlife although quite often Seals and Sealions will let you do the hard work and then start stealing your catch.

But if you really want to find out the best places, tips (for the very different species we get), just get a rod, get out there, talk to the locals. You'll find you can also develop your hobby into a social life if you get to know people (if you're lucky).
Happy Fishing!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of fishing in the nelson area he can even just go down and fish of the Wharf. Iv'e seen people sitting on the beach with there surfcasters and loads of people with rods on rocks road in the evenings just fishing in the sea from the side of the road....
Loads of boats to be seen out fishing also and kayaking etc etc They would love Nelson its a great place to live if you are into that sort of thing.
If i can help you with anything else Nelson wise just let me know...
Cally in the meantime iv'e attached some photos i took a few weeks ago......

Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails Sea Fishing in South Island-snow-sept-09-038.jpg   Sea Fishing in South Island-snow-sept-09-016.jpg   Sea Fishing in South Island-snow-sept-09-041.jpg   Sea Fishing in South Island-snow-sept-09-005.jpg   Sea Fishing in South Island-tahunanui-beach-rocks-road-002.jpg  

Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sea Fishing in South Island

Originally Posted by cally49
Loads of fishing in the nelson area he can even just go down and fish of the Wharf. Iv'e seen people sitting on the beach with there surfcasters and loads of people with rods on rocks road in the evenings just fishing in the sea from the side of the road....
Loads of boats to be seen out fishing also and kayaking etc etc They would love Nelson its a great place to live if you are into that sort of thing.
If i can help you with anything else Nelson wise just let me know...
Cally in the meantime iv'e attached some photos i took a few weeks ago......
More pics
And port Nelson website
http://www.portnelson.co.nz/
Attached Thumbnails Sea Fishing in South Island-tahunanui-beach-playground-020.jpg   Sea Fishing in South Island-tahunanui-beach-rocks-road-002.jpg   Sea Fishing in South Island-tahunanui-beach-rocks-road-010.jpg   Sea Fishing in South Island-tahunanui-beach-rocks-road-005.jpg   Sea Fishing in South Island-tahunanui-beach-playground-021.jpg  

Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:21 am
Just Joined

baldylocks is an unknown quantity at this point

From either Nelson or Blenhiem you can go fishing in the marlborough sounds, bloody nice fish and the best scenery to boot, there are boat charters or you can just bug off in your own, Also tasman bay is good for fishing or scalloping, we have had our fair share or scallops from there and they are to die for, out of the water into the pan and into the gob yum yum
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:27 am
Just Joined

baldylocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cally49
More pics
And port Nelson website
http://www.portnelson.co.nz/
Amazing ! i helped instal the TV and telephones to the appartment block in those pictures
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baldylocks
Amazing ! i helped instal the TV and telephones to the appartment block in those pictures
They certainly look better than the crummy old row of shops that used to be there...Very cool to have a job with such a brilliant view!
Nelson is a great place for fishing though and also a great place to get into the fishing industry if thats what takes someones fancy...

My son is a skipper on one of the deep sea fishing boats that goes out of Nelson and he also has his own recreational boat for fishing and diving (Paua, Kina and Crayfish....
My partner used to crew on a large fishing charter boat from Nelson and he's done a lot of fishing in the Sounds...He was saying its smaller snapper that they catch from the side of the road in Nelson (there is another name for them but i forget what it was) Also when the tide is out there you often see people collecting shellfish from the rocks (not sure what they are) Seeing as how im a female im just gathering this inf you see lol...Next pic is of the sounds....And sorry i ended up with 2 pics the same i couldnt figure out how to delete it once it was on......
Attached Thumbnails Sea Fishing in South Island-dan-lauras-wedding-068.jpg  
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Thanks heaps guys for the info - Lardyl thanks for scanning the info I appreciate it and Cally I love the photos - many thanks.

So it seems the boys will be more than satisfied with all the fishing opportunites around Nelson, and I look forward to fresh fish straight from the sea to the table ...... hee hee they just have to catch them !!!!!

Thank you sooo much all of you

xx

ps - maybe more random Nelson questions that crop up in the future !!!!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

No problem always happy to help anyone get the message through to the male members of the family lol....Enjoy your planning....And yes they will be 110% satisifed with fishing in the Nelson Marlbro area.....
Cally
Thanks heaps guys for the info - Lardyl thanks for scanning the info I appreciate it and Cally I love the photos - many thanks.

So it seems the boys will be more than satisfied with all the fishing opportunites around Nelson, and I look forward to fresh fish straight from the sea to the table ...... hee hee they just have to catch them !!!!!

Thank you sooo much all of you

xx

ps - maybe more random Nelson questions that crop up in the future !!!!